TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-10-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
woodlandcottage
Site Sponsor

Default Overnight shake-down

Is shake-down the right term? My ex-military husband isn't around right now to ask. Anyway, we took our 1 week old, new to us, 2005 2619 on our first overnight this weekend. Here are some of my thoughts and highlights as complete newbies to RV or pop-up camping(and very limited tent camping experience 15 years ago)

The TM is very intuitive as far as systems go. Neither one of myself or DH is very handy, but we were able to get all the systems and hook-ups working correctly on the first or second try with a few references to the TM instructions book. Well, except that stinking oven pilot light. Took 6 or 7 tries each time for that thermocouple thingy to hold the light. As hubby was hooking up the water, I was glad I was inside the camper to turn off all the faucets that started spraying wildly simultaneously. But when hubby came back inside the camper were a bit perplexed as to where that gushing water sound was coming from. Then we remembered the outside shower! Forgot the dealer had it winterized with all the faucets on full. :P
We got the last campsite with full hook-ups at Cherry Creek State Park, CO. Felt a bit sorry for the trailer that pulled in right after us. It was a back-in site but hubby did a wonderful job. Had a family of deer watch us set up. Snow on the ground and overnight temp of upper 20*s. We used a portable electric heater instead of propane although the propane furnace works great. We didn't see any of the park really since we got there at 3pm or so and it was pretty chilly. I'm a person who loves the bleak look of winter scenes but CRSP in winter is incredibly depressing looking. It's a sea of beige and very light gray beige. It almost hurts to look at the scenery because it's so monochromatic.
We have three kids, 3, 9 and 11. They had a blast even though we just hung out in the camper. They can't wait to go again(two weeks!). We took no electronics at all and it was wonderful! I was a tad concerned that it might feel claustrophobic in there with all of us but it was just a little cozy. I didn't feel crowded at all!
Speaking of wonderful, when I was a kid, my siblings and I had a playhouse(and an old boat with a cabin!) that we would play in for hours and hours and hours. I was the kind of kid who would make mud pies just so I could haul cold water 300 feet from the house to wash my dishes in my little house. That's what camping in the TM reminded me of. I felt like a kid again in my little space but instead of mud pies we ate real food. And the kids washed dishes.
On a slightly related side, I picked up a small pizza stone for the oven(travels wrapped in a towel in the cabinet)and we had well-heated, even cooking in our oven. It just took longer than at home, by about 50% or so, even with a 20-30 minute pre-heat. I'm just thrilled I didn't ruin any food before I heard about the stone trick.
I tried out the shower before going to bed and it was actually very nice! I would like to do the shower mod on here to make it roomier in there though.
As we were eating breakfast yesterday before packing up to leave, hubby and I made a list of things to bring next time and modifications we'd like to make. It's a bit longer than I was expecting but we've got time. We plan to be TM campers for 10 years or more. I'm also keeping a camping journal which is left in the camper.
Hubby was really anxious about emptying the toilet(I was more anxious about the potential smell). Both our fears were unfounded. Even though we were only there one day, the potty was used by all of us for all functions and no unpleasant smell at all. We kinda liked the Aqua-Kem dri smell. :P The kids had lots of fun with the "new" flush button. Hubby accidentally drained the gray water tank first but we just ran a bunch of water back into the gray water tank, drained the potty and then drained the gray again.
Our middle child was not happy at all about coming home after just one day and I can't say I disagreed with her. I think my house is just great and it's always nice to come home, but I confess, I would have much rather stayed at the campground a few more days.
And our most memorable event? Opening the door at 7am to take out the trash and having an entire herd of deer leap and bound through our campsite. Luckily they stayed on the other side of the picnic table so my daughter didn't get trampled. It was awesome though!
OH, and after we were home and unpacking, I suddenly remembered that I didn't switch off the WH. So we had to do a partial pop-up in the driveway so I could get in there and switch it of. No biggie. The WH is awesome too, BTW, hot water in 10 minutes.
woodlandcottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

sounds like you figured out your TM, hope you have many great times in it. any questions just ask, good group here!

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:15 PM   #3
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Ah, the first trip! "Shakedown", though, is what our politicians do to us every time they are in-session!. "Shakeout" would be the term you were looking for, I believe.

Anyway, CCSP can be dreary in the winter. But, there is water, a beach, and as you found, many deer. Glad you had a good stay!

We do the same thing every trip - make a list of things we want to add to the trailer supplies, and what mods I should do. Just got our first TM completed, then sold it, and got a new one. I think I will have all the mods done before our first trip in May. Helps to have had one to work on before!

My most-industrious mod, though, and I didn't do it on my last TM, was to build larger drawers for the built-in drawers. The originals are 14½" deep, and the ones I built are 20", and 21½" deep. The bottom drawer has an outside outlet behind it, so not quite as much room. But, we can get everything into the new ones without piling things on top of one another. I would recommend this mod for anyone that has the time, tools, and inclination. With three kids, you may want to consider enlarging the drawers.

Enjoy your TM!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:18 AM   #4
TravlinOn

Woodland

Love your writing. Please continue to share some of your journal entries.

Tell "Hubby" we all have "parking challenges" from time to time. Communications are key! Either develop some good hand signals or buy some cheap walkie-talkies and always stand where you can be seen in his mirror.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
woodlandcottage
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the compliment TravilOn. I'm going to get a swelled head. :P

LoveToCamp, now that you mentioned the other term, I recall hearing gangsters giving people a shakedown in old movies. :P So I looked it up. Apparently it's for gangsters and also means a period of adjustment: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/shakedown But shakeout could also work as the second definition is a process to eliminate the unessential: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/shakeout I've always struggled with learning slang, old or new. :/
I love the drawer idea! I didn't realize the drawers weren't full depth. I will measure and look into that when we next pop it up. Right now we have a ton of room(all the cabs and drawers half empty when we are fully unpacked)since we are mostly weekend campers. We do have a two week trip this summer and any extra storage would make a big difference for that!

Thanks all!
woodlandcottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:11 AM   #6
moaboy

Enjoyed your story, especially that your children had a good time as well. Sounds like you all will create many happy memories.