TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
Tampajohn

Default Overnighting at Walmart

Last night was the first night we overnighted at Walmart. We had done it several times in our Aliner, but it did not have a bathroom. I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable we slept. These campground charging $20 plus is ridiculous. We just wanted a night to hold up overnight and back on the road. We were comfortable and slept well. We used our Buddy Heater to keep warm and woke up in the morning refreshed and ready to go. Last time we did an overnight at Walmart is when we owned our Aliner. We were a bit cramped with no bathroom. The TM provided our needs and this is a service provided by Walmart, I hope they do not do away with. We pulled into another passport america campsite that indicated they did not accept the discount on weekend. I said ok, we will just go stay at Walmart. They immediately gave us the discount. $35 is ridiculous for just a place to stay over night. Are these campgrounds trying to milk every dollar they can out of the traveler. Thank you Walmart, for giving us a place to hang our hat. With gas and food, we spent $60. Hope that gives them some justification for doing it.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
MisterP

FWIW, some cities and towns, and Walmart locations themselves, do not permit overnight camping. People who use Walmart regularly suggest you do two things: check with the store manager first and thank them if they allow it, and buy something at the store. OK, maybe that's three things.

Tampajohn, the comment about spending money was not directed at you.

The regulars also say it's good form not to pull out lawn chairs and a barbecue grill in the store parking lot. Trust me, people do it, I have seen pictures.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:49 AM   #3
Riwright
TrailManor Master

Just wondering but do you put the jacks down at Walmart or is it better to leave them up?

I sleep a lot better with the jacks down, the bouncing wakes me up.

I don't see any real need to unhitch unless you needed to take up less space in the parking lot.
Riwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:25 AM   #4
Tampajohn

No jacks down, like sleeping on a boat. We always ask permission. Funny that you mentioned it, we parked where we were told and got up in the morning, had a post it note on the window asking us not to park there so to make room for the big trucks. Cant make everyone happy, I guess since it is Walmart's parking lot, they get first priority. I wonder if the truck driver asked to park overnight there. LOL
Old 03-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #5
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Just to stir the pot on campgrounds charging for a place to park: Someone has purchased the land, built the campground, and maintains the campground. They also have restrooms for guests to use. They do have expenses involved in having a decent place to pull over and sleep.

That said, I would hope that, if the campground is not full, they would discount for not using any hookups. $10 or $15 per night for a place to park would be reasonable, I think. Still get to use their restroom, if you want.

But, I stayed in a high school buddy's campground last summer, and he charged me full-boat - $35. We didn't hook up anything. I won't be staying there again!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
Tampajohn

I know there is a cost. I figure the min for electric is $3 per night. Yes you are right with land and labor and they need to make a profit. But just a jump on and jump off for $35 per night, no way. With Passport America, we have stayed in some dumps that they could not rent at full price. Thousand Trails has really been a deal for us with the ZoneCamping. I think we have average spending about 6 or 7 a night, but downside is you might have to drive out of the way to take advantage of it. We are heading to Orlando for 9 day that will only cost 3 per night before we go home. Anyway, hope this helps giving some advice to others. JOhn
Old 03-19-2014, 10:34 PM   #7
moaboy

I for one, don't think putting your jacks down is particularly offensive. Not like you take up more room. Yes, looks a little more permanent, but only takes a minute to crank them up so I don't see any real harm. I will admit I'm not a fan of a "rocking ship" so am a bit biased.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #8
Bruce

The other side of the coin:
The worst night we ever spent was at a Wal Mart in N GA.
We pulled up where the other campers were at and we parked next to a motor home.
Sometime during the night the motor home took off and was replaced by an 18 wheel over the road trucker who let his motor run all night. Our TM was vibrating along with the noise & smell of that diesel engine.