TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #11
TravlinOn

Default Boredom Relief - 9day Trip to HH

My idea of ideal trailering is the part when after arrival, setting up, and putting the AC on or windows down, we sit outside in the shade, enjoying the view (hopefully), and sipping a brew/wine. Somehow makes all the driving time worthwhile.

However, I am sure that there are some interesting cures for driving boredom, and I would like to hear how some of my fellow TM'ers have accomplished it.

My absolute favorite cure is any Garrison Keillor cd in the "Lake Wobegon" series. Unfortunately, they may be hard to find now, but I have 4 of them, and each has a series of stories that last about 15 minutes each and are told in Garrison's deep baritone compelling voice. I crank up the volume and the miles fly by!

What's yours?
Old 04-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #12
Riwright
TrailManor Master

News from Lake Wogegon is great. It's available as a podcast. You can get a lot of them:

http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/about/podcast/

We listen to a lot of old radio dramas. Gunsmoke, Dragnet, Sherlock Holmes, Lum and Abner, Jack Benny, there are a lot of them. I'm not old enough to remember radio dramas (but I did watch some of those shows on a black and white TV.) Besides it's good entertainment even without the nostalgia factor.
Riwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #13
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

I download audio books from our library Website. Load them onto an MP3 player (a 4gb player holds 60 hrs, or so), and listen when I want to. If you load them as soon as you download them, they don't "expire".
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #14
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

WELL I WAS GOING TO SAY, FOR ME A WELL STOCKED CD CASE AND FOR THE DW , SHE ALLWAYS PICKS UP READING MAG. FROM THE WELCOME CENTERS AND REST AREA'S
BUT AFTER WE SPOKE IT IS MORE LIKE SOMEBODY NEEDS SOMETHING OUT OF COOLER, FUSSING AT ONE OF THE DOGS TO GET BACK IN BACK SEAT, OR PLZ LET ME GO MORE THAN 45 MIN BEFORE I HEAR, PAPAW I NEED TO PEE AGAIN OR ONE OF THE 400 QUESTION'S A 4 YR OLD WILL ASK IN THE COURSE OF A TRIP, OR THAT IS THEY WAY LAST WEEKS TRIP WENT

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:26 AM   #15
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Since I do all the driving, I'm awake...glad for the XM, no fiddling with radio stations. Driving relaxes me and I enjoy the drive. Wife sleeps mostly. In Dec. our trip to CA, 36hr drive, she slept 24 hours. I like to listen to audio tapes and we stop at Cracker Barrell and rent them. Wifi hot spot allows for iPad browsing and following the little dot on the maps of our present and always moving location. Bathroom breaks only occur when we stop for gas. We carry a cooler with soft drinks, water, snacks, sweets, etc.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #16
TravlinOn

Some excellent ideas here, and I would definitely add some Louis Lamour audio westerns to the book list. His books just kind of flow with the road.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #17
Scott O

I really enjoy listening to Tom Brokaw's "The Greatest Generation". Very inspirational stuff.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:34 AM   #18
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

DW will have her mp3 player loaded with audio books from the library or our extensive music collection. We gave up the XM/Sirius thing.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #19
MisterP

I have XM playing through the iPhone.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #20
TravlinOn

Default TV Antenna - 9 day trip to HH

Using TM tv antenna

Ok, I admit to occasionally watching tv in the TM. Something I do very rarely at home, but sometimes married people do what needs to be done, you know what I mean? Anyway, cable is not always available in the cheap sites, so TM has a good antenna and I try to use it, BUT finding any available stations can be a pain.

I have found a method which takes some advance prep unless you take your computer along with you (which I do) but which can tell you in advance what stations and networks are available.

When I went to Hilton Head, SC, I stayed at Hardeeville RV, which is located in the middle of nowhere about half way between Hilton Head Island and Savannah, GA. It does have cable, but I will use this location as an example
Here is a link to the end result (then at the page shown, choose “Only Analog” for the stations that the antenna will get):
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1ddabac631a913

The method takes a few minutes:
1 Find the address of your selected campsite.
2 Go to this link to get map coordinate and don’t forget to put “USA” in address:
http://universimmedia.pagesperso-orange.fr/geo/loc.htm

3. Go to this link and choose to input “coordinates”. Then use 10 feet as Antenna height.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

4. Take along a compass, mine is magnetic, so I set the TM antenna to the magnetic direction indicated in the list for the channel desired.

It might seem like a lot of work, but it actually save time in the long run if you really want to watch a particular program or game on a strong signal.