TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #1
FightinIrish

Default Small rust spots on the top of shell

I just noticed while I was cleaning the exterior several small what I am calling little rust spots on the top of the shell only in one general location about 4' in diameter at the rear. The TM isnt parked under anything and I didnt notice anything like that when I brought it home two weeks ago. They are like small, maybe the diameter of a pencil lead around rough protrusions. Like little rust spots starting. Weird because it is only on one portion of the shell. Nothing on the sides. Anyone ever had anything like that?
Old 10-08-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

You're right - it's weird! Reddish dots (rust) on a coated aluminum surface. How many are there? Ten? Or hundreds? Can they be scrubbed off or popped off reasonably easily? If so, try to pick up a few with a magnet. It almost sounds like some little metal (steel) filings were deposited up there somehow, and got stuck or mashed into the roof coating. But I can't think how.

Did it come from the factory with a roof air conditioner, or was there an aftermarket install? Drilling holes in the air conditioner's mounting frame could produce little spits of steel, but I've never heard of that happening with a factory-installed unit. Has anything else been installed up there, like solar panels?

What year and model is your TM (your signature line could be made to show it)?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:48 AM   #3
FightinIrish

I used the scrubbing bubbles and the awsome cleaner and it helped a little with a long handle scrub brush but not all of them came off. I am able to scrape them off with my finger nail then hit it with the scrubbing bubbles and they come off. There are maybe a hundred almost directly above the bed. I probably got half of them off last night. Kinda weird as that is the only spot. It is a 04 2720SL and the AC unit was factory installed.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:31 AM   #4
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default could it be kish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinIrish View Post
I just noticed while I was cleaning the exterior several small what I am calling little rust spots on the top of the shell only in one general location about 4' in diameter at the rear. The TM isnt parked under anything and I didnt notice anything like that when I brought it home two weeks ago. They are like small, maybe the diameter of a pencil lead around rough protrusions. Like little rust spots starting. Weird because it is only on one portion of the shell. Nothing on the sides. Anyone ever had anything like that?
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...,3159950.story
This story in the Baltimore Sun brought to mind your rust problem. A steel plant is putting grit, called kish, into the air. If it lands on something and is not washed off, it produces rust spots. Your TM used to be in the Baltimore area, so maybe it got kished.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:14 AM   #5
FightinIrish

Weird. I didnt notice it on our trip home. Only when I had it all popped up to clean it and was on the ladder scrubbing the top. Since then they have dissipated with some elbow grease and cleaners. God love scrubbing bubbles and Mr. Clean Magic Erasers.