TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
wmtire

Default Seeking advice for Mt Rushmore area

I am planning to knock Mt Rushmore off of my bucket list in about three weeks. I am flying in to Rapid City with my 18 and 8 year old...then hotel staying (not camping).

We plan to see Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park, and Devils Tower. I am asking for everyones advice on must see/do things while we are there, as well as fun things to do with the kids.

Any oddities that aren't in the travel brochures are good too.

Thanks
Old 06-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
grakin

I grew up in that area.

If the younger kid has excess energy and everyone can walk a couple miles, there's a trail around the base of Devil's Tower that is a relatively easy walk (paved and all). There's a longer one that is a bit more challenging. Just remember you are at altitude if you aren't used to that. There is also a large praire dog town just past the enterance to the park that people enjoy.

You might like Bear Country USA - a bit commercialized (as is much of the Black Hills), but can be fun.

There used to be helicopter tours that left from Keystone near Rushmore - if that's your type of thing you might look it up.

For adults (I think 18 is old enough, but I could be wrong), Deadwood has gambling. There's also some old-west theme stuff in that area.

Near Rapid, there's Cosmos, which has a bunch of participatory-illusions that make gravity appear to do weird things.

There's also the Homestake gold mine near Lead, SD.

And there are a couple of caves in the black hills that are set up for tourists to have guided tours.

Forn a bit less touristy, I always liked hiking up Harney Peak. I can't remember how difficult the trail was, but someone in decent health can probably make it fine - lots of kids and such. It's the "tallest peak east of the Rockies" and has a fire lookout tower on top that you can take in the view from.

There is lots of touristy stuff to do, and lots of stuff that the tourist groups in that area will promote - so you shouldn't have too much problems figuring out what to do. Bring plenty of sunscreen and expect afternoon thunderstorms.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #3
Beak12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I am planning to knock Mt Rushmore off of my bucket list in about three weeks. I am flying in to Rapid City with my 18 and 8 year old...then hotel staying (not camping).

We plan to see Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park, and Devils Tower. I am asking for everyones advice on must see/do things while we are there, as well as fun things to do with the kids.

Any oddities that aren't in the travel brochures are good too.

Thanks
Many years ago we went to the Little Bighorn Battlefied. What a interesting trip. It was in the summr of course. And many of the Rangers are there just for the tourist time. All give talks on different aspects of the Battle. I think the one we like the best was (in real life) a history or Math teacher from TX. We were camping at the KOA and not being much to do at night we went to a play at the local school in Billings. It was titled The Trial of Gen Custor. We thought it was something the local kids were doing. But what a surprize--it was real play with adult actors some were even lawers. In fact the Judge at the trial was a real Judge from TX. If I remember correctly the subject was should Gen Custer be court-martialed for his actions at Little Bighorn. When it was all over we were told we were the jury and had to vote. Had I known that I would have pain closer attention. LOL

http://www.allblackhills.com/getting...attlefield.php
Old 06-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
Scott O

In Deadwood, the cemetery on the hill is where Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane are buried. Next to each other. Really! Also, each evening the Mt. Rushmore figures are illuminated by floodlights. Very impressive.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:18 AM   #5
Maxine_51334

drive the animal loop,do the caves,Spearfish Canyon,mines,the dinosaur dig in Hills

TM 2007 2720SL
Swing tongue
Solar panel
Satellite System
15 in. Tires

TV 2003 Ford F150 SuperCab 4x4
Maxine_51334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Badlands National Park is very interesting too, especially if anyone in the group likes fossils.

Also the free 'Dinosaur Park' (http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/10514) in Rapid City is amusing. You can probably tell our son was "dinosaur age" when we passed through there
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
namklg

Hi,
We love to camp in Custer State Park! Blue Bell and Stockade are quite nice. This is for future reference for you. They do have camping cabins in many of the locations in the park. We love to visit The Crazy Horse Memorial - It is truly a beautiful work of art.
Wind Cave NP is great.... if you are interested in getting into the caves, see if reservations are available. Same goes for Jewel cave. The both have some amazing sights.
If you like to bike, the Mickelson Trail is great. You can go for miles and miles and see some amazing sights.
Animal activity on the Wildlife loop in Custer State Park is best early in the morning and early evening. Animals may not be too active in the heat of the day. Last year we stopped in the middle of one of the bison herds on a gravel road. Just amazing to stop and watch from inside the TV.
If you are into fishing, there are some locations that provide gear and the day fishing pass.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
Frenchy
Site Sponsor

As mentioned by Scott O, the evening presentation at Rushmore is the best way to see the faces. Always a good ranger program with it.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

I lived in Rapid City for years and still get back regularly to visit family. All the above sounds good. I would add a trip to Reptile Gardens. It was a must do when we had friends or family visiting. I took my sister's kids a couple of years back and it was still just as fun as ever. There is also a water park that is fun, They are both on the road up to Rushmore close in to town.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
T and C
TrailManor Master

For those into this sort of thing, several years ago I attended an evening vespers service in a replica of a Norwegian "Stavekirk" in Rapid City. These are the old wooden churches in Scandanavia that the Vikings built after they were Christianized around the 10th Century. The local Norwegian society built the one at Rapid City. If I remember correctly, the place was lit by candles.

I read about this place and service in the AAA guide for South Dakota. I was passing through on my way to the Little Big Horn battlefield and had stopped for the night. There is also a very good air museum at the Air Force Base west of town.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote