TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
househunterlives

Default First Time and mybe last time.

For months my DW wanted to get a TM. So I gave in search for a couple of months and found a great deal on a 2005 3023. Had to drive 400 miles to get it. Love the extra storage cabinets and drawers under the sofa. TM is like new condition where the previous owners only used it 4 times and had it garage storage for last five years. Still had the new car smell inside. They just installed new tires and a new battery.
Decided to take DW out first without the kids to see how things work out all the bugs. Will we are finding out this isn't for us. We have bad backs and getting in and out of the bed is a challenge. Bought a folder step stole and seemed to help. But having to roll over each other to get up to pee isn’t fun. So thinking we will put the kids in the Queen bed and us on the sofa bed might work better. With the two of us it took us an hour and half to pack it and break it down. With us wanting to use it only three to two days at a time, is a lot of work for a short stay. Also tried to get the wife to try and open up it up just by herself. So if she and the kids take it out by their self she can do it. No go…couldn’t even get it her to left up any.
Had a great time otherwise. I almost burn the TM down twice! First time I was cooking bacon and had a plate with a paper towel on it. Was taking the bacon out of the pan when the paper towel caught on fire. Second time was cooking popcorn in the microwave when it sparked and the whole bag caught on fire inside the microwave. This was bad! Took the bag out with it flaming. Drop it on her new rug then drop it into the sink to put it out. Now the rug is on fire. Had to use her new dish towel to put the rug out. Go figure…she had to buy all new stuff for the TM.
At night it got really cold. So used the furnace and a ceramic heater. I am very surprise at how little propane it used. Ran it a lot and still has a lot of gas left. Kept the TM very warm. I did the pool noodle trick under the beds. Work great, but every time you moved it made a noise. So there went my love life…lol. She didn’t like that. Also there was a lot of moisture inside where the bed meets up with the sides. Had to wipe it down to keep it off the sheets. I think sleeping bags would have done better. But here again she doesn’t do sleeping bags.
Don’t get me wrong we do love our TM. It is very easy to tow and maneuver around. It is the coolest thing since slice bread. We even hear people talk about it as they walk by. So we are in a unique class of campers. My daughter won’t sleep in it. She is afraid of it closing in on her. So I will be getting rid of it as fast as I got it. So if anyone wants a great deal on a very good TM just PM me.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

well, glad to hear you got the bugs worked out. Now it should be smooth camping from here on out... Sounds like the TM needs some adjusting of the lifting arms. As someone suggested here recently, try lowering the front jack at the hitch so the unit is pitched down and the front roof should be lots easier to lift, then do the opposite for the rear roof. Should not be that difficult to raise the roofs, although a 3023 is a large unit. I have a 3124KB (king bed) which allows me and the wife to sleep lengthwise so we have no crawl over issues. An hour and 1/2 is a long time for breakdown. It gets a lot easier after a few times. Wife and I split the duties and she does the inside and I do the outside. I can get out of campsite in less than 15 minutes if I had to.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
CAmark
Site Sponsor

Default an encouraging word...

Sorry to hear it went badly for your first trip -- take heart in that we all (I think) had some bad experiences getting started with a TM.

In our 2720SL we sleep with our heads at the back window and feet toward the hallway. I tend to get to bed sooner than the wife and -- even at 6'2" with my body angled from back corner to wardrobe, my wife only has to nudge my feet out of the way rather than climb over me when she wants in or out.

We also went with a memory foam topper under a couple 2" thermarest air mattresses to provide more back support than the stock foam mattress. Still not the ideal solution but a lot better than it was.

I keep thinking about swim noodles every time I set the bed up - but not until then; someday I'll remember to buy them before I get into camp.

And what are the odds of the popcorn and bacon problems happening again??

Hoping you are happy in whatever you decide,
CAMark
or 04 Pilot w/ Tow Package
Prodigy Brake Controller; Husky 800/1200 WDH; McKesh Mirrors
2006 2720SL; A/C; awning; swing hitch; 14" NEXEN Load Range D tires
CAmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
moaboy

Don't give up!
It does get easier-much easier!
Try it a few more times-thru summer perhaps- and then if you are still not having fun, sell it.
Lot of adventure out there and a TM is a great way to experience it.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

I wouldn't give up after the first trip. On our first trip or three to get the stirrup latches to work I had to jump from a three foot ladder. Now that I've gotten the old body trained in the closing trick I rarely step into a stirrup.

My wife and I both raise the front shell together, its just awkward with the tongue in the way. DW can even open the rear shell while I get the front latched. She finds the TM much easier to help with setup/brake down then the old pop-up we had ever was. Set up/break down is a 30 min process for us. Leveling doesn't count you have that with any camper. Same thing with shore power if you use it. Backing the trailer in is easier then our 28 foot Outback TT. I'd suggest practicing open and closing the shells at home a few times if you have room.

As others have said it may need adjustment but I would really suggest doing the open close thing several times before you go that route.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

sorry to hear things went like my first couple times, i could tell you stories that would have you rolling, with things not to do. i kinda think a tm is like and ole muscle car,when you learn about her, she will just keep impressing, give it some time,a voice of experience , got our first tm about 6 yrs ago, is what the dw wanted,went to mich. to get, 10 hrs both ways, went out the first few times, was so upset, i did not like at all, what it was, i did not understand it, did not know anything about the forum at that time, made the mistake and made a quick sale and went through 3 other tt ,looking for what i had already had. all to come back to a tm, i traded down 10 model yrs and am happy now as with any of them,

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
Redhawk

Sorry to hear about your experience, like the others say, it took us 3 or 4 times to get it all figured out, we can be completly setup in about 20 minutes. I was wondering...you do have the unit pretty level when you open it don't you? A little off, can make a BIG difference in effort required.
Best to you no matter what you do....
Old 01-31-2012, 06:53 AM   #8
househunterlives

Default Trailmanor

I had thought about seeing adjusting the arms becuase even for me it seems a little stiff. We use a 3' level at each piont, front, back bumber and side to side. The TM even has buble levels on it to double check before opening it. Each time I move it and set it up I get better at getting it level.

We have it setup right now in the drive way cleaning her up and going through it. We are having borderline weather to where we need to winterize it, but still can camp in it. Nights are freezing but the day's are warm. Kids are wanting to go out so might try it one more time. But my duaghter still isn't going, thinks it well fall in on her

DW has all of her stuff pack in the TM, pot,pans, blanks and ready to go. I got her all wash up, windows cleaned, roof cleaned, tires clean...looks like a new TM just rolled off the show room.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:23 AM   #9
househunterlives

Default Noodles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAmark View Post
Sorry to hear it went badly for your first trip -- take heart in that we all (I think) had some bad experiences getting started with a TM.

In our 2720SL we sleep with our heads at the back window and feet toward the hallway. I tend to get to bed sooner than the wife and -- even at 6'2" with my body angled from back corner to wardrobe, my wife only has to nudge my feet out of the way rather than climb over me when she wants in or out.

We also went with a memory foam topper under a couple 2" thermarest air mattresses to provide more back support than the stock foam mattress. Still not the ideal solution but a lot better than it was.

I keep thinking about swim noodles every time I set the bed up - but not until then; someday I'll remember to buy them before I get into camp.

And what are the odds of the popcorn and bacon problems happening again??

Hoping you are happy in whatever you decide,
CAMark
The noodles did help a lot to keep some of the draffs out. The smaller dia noodles works best and I think those are the ones I got from Dollar Tree. When not in use I just toss them on the floor so that is the first thing I grab going into the TM.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:26 AM   #10
rumbleweed

A good set up and take down check list will help until it becomes second nature. ( you can search here or I will send you mine) A little adjustment on the torsion bars should make the opening and closing easier. Show your daughter it can not close once the pins are in place and interior walls are up. When you have one of these mild days we have been blessed with lately go out and set up and take down a few times in the driveway. When you do finally winterize, search here there are lots of good tips on the little things that will save time and money in the spring. The TM is a great product and once you have a few trips under your belt you will really enjoy it.