TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
MisterP

Default AT&T Wireless Home Phone

We have used Vonage VOIP for a home number for quite a while now. I like having a separate number for any time I have to give my number out, such as online ordering, deliveries, or anybody I don't want calling our mobile numbers.

I paid Vonage about $320 on an annual payment plan. I had been looking around for cheaper options for a while without finding anything that I liked. Or that would provide any savings if I did switch.

This weekend we were wandering around a local mall waiting for thunderstorms to pass, and I saw a banner for wireless home service in the AT&T store window. So I wandered in.

We both had iPhone 3GS phones on a family plan with plenty of minutes, frankly more than I needed, but I am a legacy unlimited data customer and will lose that if I change plans. I asked what the home service was about, and as an existing customer the plan adds $10 plus tax to the bill and shares the family plan minutes. I told them I had Vonage and would not switch unless reasonably assured they could port that number.

The guys called both their customer service and Vonage, confirmed what was necessary, and made the switch. We also walked out with 4S phones for only the $36 activation fee each, since they are offering a swap trade in program. The receipt says I won't see an activation fee on the home adapter, I will see on the next bill.

Vonage turned us off today, and I activated the new adapter in a few minutes. The number ported over fine, and we are good to go. Signal quality is green, which is as good as it gets. As a cellular number, it is good for US number only, and no intl roaming is available. Vonage kept the balance in my account, which I suspected, but my annual payment was mostly used.

Vonage is great if you have family or friends in foreign countries, particularly in Europe, because they are unlimited service if you have high speed Internet. We didn't need that, I had used Vonage for a cheap toll free number for my past business.

Non AT&T customers can get the service for $20 per month plus tax. I did not ask how many minutes they allow for that. Thought I would mention it as an alternative for someone who lives in reasonable proximity to cell service and doesn't want a land line. The adapter has a battery in it that provides a day or two of standby service and 3 hours or so of talk time. So you can disconnect the adapter, plug a wired phone into it, and use it outside or wherever.

I have cordless Uniden phones scattered around the house, and call quality seemed fine. The voice message waiting light came on after a few minutes, and a waiting message also triggers the "stutter" dial tone many are familiar with.

That's about it. Thought I would post this as another alternative for a home number.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:57 AM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Our only choice was a call in only line at the new fish camp by a local provider, which only covers about 1/3 the county. Their main office isn't even in Florida; its up north some where. None of the major land line providers are available in our area. For cells, Verizon works but barely without a booster. None of the other cell providers work without a booster and ATT cells don't work at all.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #3
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

We have had an AT&T cell phone as our home phone for the past two years. At the time it was cheaper to bundle it in with our mobile phones, rather than pay for a land line. We live in a rural area in San Diego and recently AT&T brought their Uverse service to our area. We now can bundle phone, Internet and television into a much cheaper package. We are going back to a land line phone service, primarily because when you have a cell phone as your home phone, you are eliminated from the reverse 911 call service during an emergency. Since we live in an area that is subject to fires, we decided it would be a good idea to be part of that service again.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
Reldma

Default Verizon Home Wireless

We have had for almost 2 years a Verizon home wireless phone and it is great. We can take it with us when we travel. The wireless box is connected to our cordless phone and we can answer calls to our home phone while we are traveling down the road and when we setup for the night we put it in the TM. In the van we plug the wireless and the cordless into a converter. First 2 years $20 a month. Cost was less than what we were paying for our home phone from AT&T.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtail Cruiser View Post
We have had an AT&T cell phone as our home phone for the past two years. At the time it was cheaper to bundle it in with our mobile phones, rather than pay for a land line. We live in a rural area in San Diego and recently AT&T brought their Uverse service to our area. We now can bundle phone, Internet and television into a much cheaper package. We are going back to a land line phone service, primarily because when you have a cell phone as your home phone, you are eliminated from the reverse 911 call service during an emergency. Since we live in an area that is subject to fires, we decided it would be a good idea to be part of that service again.
Tim,

What is the reverse 911 call service?

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote