TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-15-2003, 04:18 PM   #1
k_and_p_camping

Default Rain, more rain, and leaks

Finally Iowa got the 3 1/2 inches of rain we've been waiting for since July! That's the good news. Now the bad: We took the TM to a local campground and found out it leaks! We had a major drip coming in from the Fantastic fan and another on the wall above the window on the street side. We were already planning on re-caulking, but I guess we'll do it sooner rather than later. Any ideas about how to find the specific spots, or do I just take all the old stuff off and put new on? Any recommendations for a good caulk?

Ooh, just thought of another piece of good news! ;D We sold the pop-up to the first folks who called about it, and at a reasonable price. That means I can get the new screen room I wanted (oh, and pay for a lot of caulk!).

Pam S
Old 09-15-2003, 07:19 PM   #2
Windbreaker

Default Re:Rain, more rain, and leaks

We had a leak on the other vent, the one on the seam, I tried spot caulking it but ended up caulking the whole seam. So my advice is rip all of the old out and put in new. . . just about everywhere. I used the good silicone stuff, figured it might last longer.

Congradulations on selling you pop up, you just started some luck family on the road to TM ownership.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:18 AM   #3
ColoradoCop

I purchased a can of "911" sealant. It is a spray and goes on easily. Just a reminder that you will want to use a good sovent when you remove the old caulking or it may seperate from the TM and then you will have a recurring problem.

Nothing worse than sitting at the table and taking a shower at the same time ;D. Luckily, hasn't happened since June. Of course, that is the last time that the camper got a free shower :P.

ColradoCop 8)
Old 09-16-2003, 12:18 PM   #4
Frenchy
Site Sponsor

When I bought my 98 3023 and took it home, it leaked severely on the street side. Took it back to the dealer and he recaulked the top. Next time it rained, it leaked again. I called TM. Think I talked to Jimmy Davis. He said that the TM was probably leaking by capillary action on the underside of the seam on the upper sidewall at the junction of the top and sidewall. He told me to caulk this area. I did and it stopped the leak. If you look at this seam, it does not look like it could possibly leak there because the water has to flow up to leak. But with capillary action, water can flow up. Jimmy said they had two or three TM's that had this problem. He said it took them quite a few months and tries to find and correct the first one. Hope this helps.
Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 08:29 PM   #5
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

They haven't solved all of the leaking problems yet! My new '03 was leaking at the A/C and now has a leak around the vent in front of the A/C. :'(
MJL
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 08:45 PM   #6
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

ColoradoCop - what kind of solvent would you use?
B_and_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 01:24 AM   #7
ColoradoCop

I used Isopropol Alcohol, cleans and doesn't leave a film.
You can get it by the bottle at most pharmacy sections of supermarkets or ,believe it or not, pharmacies.

ColoradoCop 8)
Old 09-17-2003, 08:23 PM   #8
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Mike,

Did you read about the Coleman a/c on the new units? They had problems with the seal that Coleman supplied. I read it some place, but I can't tell you exactly where it was. The factory rep at the Harrisburg, Pa. RV show told me last weekend that the problem had been solved with the Coleman air conditioners having a leak around them You might want to ask your dealer or call Jimmy Davis.

Bob Strong
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 08:48 PM   #9
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Bob,
I talked to Jimmy today. The A/C fix is to unbolt the A/C, lift it and the gasket, apply a bead of silicone to the TM roof and then set the gasket on the silicone for reassembly. Mine is going back to the dealer for leak repairs this week.
MJL
Old 02-13-2004, 09:15 AM   #10
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Finally got my TM back from the dealer last month after the AC leak repair was completed. It's nice to have a unit once again that does not leak. The dealer added a new gasket under the old gasket and sealed it to the roof with silicone. Why did it take so long? I told the dealer I wouldn't be using the TM until spring. He was finished with the repair in early november. Then I had some heart problems and couldn't pick the unit up untill last month. I'm fine the TM is fine, just need to give it a bath and restock it before April.
MJL