TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-19-2007, 09:15 AM   #1
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Default Anyone added to the 11 gal water capacity in a 2720SL?

Howdy folks -

I recently purchased a 2000 2720SL, and it has the smaller 11 gallon fresh water tank underneath the sink. Has anyone out there modified such a unit to add additional fresh water capacity?

Where is the 20 gallon tank in the new 2720SL's?

The owner's manual says to empty the water heater while traveling, but that would be an additional 6 gallons. Does anyone travel with it full?

Thanks!
Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
Bob&Karen

Dave,

Don't know about the tank - thought they were all 20 gallons. As far as the water heater, we travel with ours full.

Bob
Old 04-19-2007, 12:12 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Dave -

My 2002 2720SL had a 20-gallon tank under the right half of the kitchen sink. It fills up almost the entire space under the right half. My 2006 2720SL has the same thing. You could probably retrofit a new 20-gallon tank in your TM, but you might have to move the water pump a bit (easy), the sink drain line (also easy), and maybe the water heater (not so easy).

For what it's worth, the 20-gallon tank measures 22 inches front-to-back, 12-3/4 inches side-to-side, and 17 inches high. If it looks like you could fit it in there, I'm sure you could order one from the TM factory. It might be easier, though, just to carry a couple 5-gallon containers of water in the tow vehicle, and pour/pump them in when needed.

Re running with a full water heater. I try to run as light as possible, so I always run with all tanks empty. I fill up when I get to the campground. I leave water in the water heater only if I am going to an entirely dry campground - no water source of any kind, not even a central spigot. I have, on occasion, carried 5-gallon water jugs in the back of the tow vehicle, so as not to put the weight on the TM tires while travelling.

Having said that, 6 gallons of water weighs about 50 pounds, so it is not a major item in the overall scheme of things.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Thanks for all the great info, folks. I'm going to take those measurements Bill provided and see what it's going to take to get a bigger tank in there. It seems fairly crowded as it is, although there is a fair amount of room between the top of the tank and the sink.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:50 PM   #5
MarknMaqhi

Our 2007 2720SL has the 20 gallon, though we don't use it much.... about all I use it for is when camping at a State park with no permanant Sewer hookup, I fill it about a 3rd full before leaving. That way after dumping at the dump station, I can pull home, pop it open and use the water pump to rinse out the toilet and grey water to a blue tote without having to hook up again.

With the 20 gallon in there, there is not much room for anything else under the sink except a package of swifter wets and some disinfecting wipes.

The water heater I have towed home full without any problems, but i do empty it every time when I get home... drain everything and protect that anodic rod... make it last a little longer, I hope.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:16 AM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

As a rather late clarification for the benefit of another member who posted a different thread, my 2720SL has a 20 gallon fresh water tank with the same measurements as what Bill provided. The manual that came with it says it only is 11 gallons, that perhaps that's all that was available at some time.

Dave