TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-20-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
larsdennert

Default Rear View Camera Install

No more blind spots. No more clip on mirrors to tow the TM!

Read about it here.
http://67.122.16.97/lars/gallery/vie...umName=album40
Old 04-20-2009, 10:33 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdennert View Post
No more blind spots. No more clip on mirrors to tow the TM!
Hey Lars.......who's that little kid passing you on the right????
Old 04-20-2009, 10:44 PM   #3
larsdennert

Asleep at the wheel he is. A long weekend at Campland (for all of us) but really fun. I could only get a camera phone pic as you can see.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:18 AM   #4
nonichris

A question we have had...we have video cameras on both sides and back of our TM, but we assumed that the mirrors were also a legal necessity, but didn't really know. The cameras work very well except at night, when the glare is really bad, especially if it is raining. Our cameras also allow us to see the tires and undercarriage, and that is quite reassuring. Anyone know if mirrors are required...we finally found some that aren't bad...can't use McKesh...
Old 04-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
larsdennert

My understanding is that you are required to have two mirrors, one being the left outside mirror. You are required to be able to see a point 200 ft behind the vehicle. I don't know that it specifies how you are able to see it. There are cars that exclusively use cameras as mirrors.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
PopBeavers

I have never figured out how I would get any value out of a rear camera.

As a replacement for the rear view mirrors, if that is even legal, how do you pan it? For my mirrors, I can lean forward to see more of the adjacent lane. I'm pretty sure that would not work with a camera system. With both hands on the wheel, how do you solve that problem?

fwiw, I can see a Miata following me at a distance somewhat closer than 200 feet. I want to be able to keep an eye on my daughter when she is driving behind me. I am not looking for the tailgater.

I can see the value if it would allow me to pull into a campsite in the rain and get it just as close to the tree as I would if I were to get out and look. Avoiding getting out to look would keep me dry. But the quantity of cameras that I would need to install would be high. I need to see behind both wheels, behind the plumbing, behind the rear bumper, watch the overhead limbs, and still see the trees on both corners. I never camp in a paved site. It is, at best, graded dirt in a forest service campground. The previous occupant may have left rocks where I might not see them while backing.

Having said all that, when towing a car behind a motorhome, I can see a lot of value for that.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
larsdennert

All I can say is I have zero blind spots now. The camera and stock mirrors over lap because it is a wide angle lens. No panning needed.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #8
RogerR

In Illinois working mirrors are required. If you want to go cheap they have rubber strap add ons at UHual for about 10 each.

My question is where did you get the camera system. I have seen backup systems at Wal Mart for about $100 but don't know if they are worth it.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #9
larsdennert

Read here
http://67.122.16.97/lars/gallery/vie...umName=album40
Old 04-24-2009, 04:04 PM   #10
lnussbau

I don't have any sort of vehicle camera, but I did get the Swift Hitch camera/monitor system to hitch up with. The camera mounts magnetically onto the back of my truck and transmits a wireless signal to the monitor I keep in the cab. It even has infrared for night viewing. Other than wishing it were a bit wider angle view, and having the picture washed out once when the sun angle was wrong, I love it.

Swift Hitch site is here.