TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-27-2005, 06:12 AM   #1
YWORRYDOG
Site Sponsor

Unhappy Norcold

Our fridge works great on 12v and AC. But on gas that is a problem. It will light right up as soon as you get gas to it. Then goes out after you take your finger off the button. It was a little squrily even when we did the walk through. Then I got it to say lit after many tries on our first time without electric.

I finally took it in to a warrantee repair shop last spring. They “tightened the thermo connection.” It worked when I got it home, but not after that.

Took it back again in two weeks, they found “debris” in the thermo connection. It worked wonderfully after that! At least on our trip around Lake Superior. We had no hook ups a few times. That trip was back in May.

Since then it has deteriorated. I was always so worried about it; I would try to set it to gas, and light it whenever we take it out. It started to work sometimes and then not at all. Strange, when it was already cold from 12v or AC, it would not stay lit. I even tried turning it to off for 30 minutes and then to gas, no luck. But when we were home and cleaning it, it would stay light right away on gas. Well 2 weeks ago it finally would not even do that. Off to the warrantee shop.

They called yesterday after having for a week, said that they tried to light it 3 days ago, and is still lit! I had tried to light it when I set it up in the lot, 2 tries, and no luck. I went over the entire scenario with him, and ask what he things I should do. He said he would call the factory and get back to me. It is a good thing they have a three-year warrantee, as the first year is almost up now
YWORRYDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:05 AM   #2
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

Let us know what the factory says. I had trouble running my fridge on gas because of a loose thermocouple connection. It has worked fine ever since that was fixed.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 10:53 AM   #3
Caver
Site Sponsor

Default Norcold on GAS

Here is a thread we posted earlier. Check the PDF in the last posting.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...hlight=norcold

I would not tighten the thermocouple anymore but would be suspicious of the wiring. If you have a digital voltmeter you can check the voltage as the bulletin suggests. This could help point to the problem. You might also ask your service center about this service bulletin.

Good luck with your refrigerator. I'm not sure you are having the same problem but my symptoms were the same as yours before I changed the wires with the kit. Ray
Caver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 04:31 PM   #4
YWORRYDOG
Site Sponsor

Default Norcold

Thanks Carver, that sounds like the same problem. I missed all that the first time, as it was posted in the year BC. (before Chuck) I have e-mailed the RV repair center all the information, including the repair bulletin. Will let you all know the outcome. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:59 PM   #5
BobRederick

Chuck & Rose
I have trouble with my TM refrig on gas and the symptoms are just like yours. The dealer had trouble lighting it and took the covers off and dug around outside the TM. It finally lit and we went on our way. Fortunately, it worked on the way home (2000 miles), but on the next trip out at the Sand Dunes it wouldn't light. FYI, you can force it to stay lit by jamming toothpicks around the red start button, but you are bypassing your safety features on the gas by doing so. I tightened the nut from the thermocouple and thought that fixed it... even posted pictures on this site. But this summer it started misbehaving again. Now I have to remove the radio plug above the refrig (no radio in three yet) and fuss with the 3 wires going into the lighter assembly. It normally lights after that and stays lit. These wires are loose in their fitting. I am sure they aren't making good contact. It is a design defect that has existed for several years.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:45 AM   #6
YWORRYDOG
Site Sponsor

Bob, sounds about the same to me! However, I made a plastic wedge to hold the button in, keep it in the above sink cabinet. I didn't think to post this great, but unsafe "upgrade"
Old 08-28-2005, 10:54 PM   #7
BobRederick

Chuck & Rose
When the weather cools down, I hope to figure out how to fix this problem. If that happens, I'll post the results on the web. BTW, I saw on one post a few months ago that Norcold replaced a wire harness to solve this under warranty for someone on this forum.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:12 AM   #8
YWORRYDOG
Site Sponsor

Smile Norcold

I got a call this morning from the trailer repair center. They finally were able to get through to Norcold. They didn’t like the 30-minute wait for the tech to be on hold. Norcold finally admitted that they may have a problem with that model, but only after the repair tech asked about the wire harness. I had e-mailed the service bulletin to them. Well, I feel that the problems will be solved, Norcold is sending the wire harness, and an interrupter. Thanks for the help on this site, as Norcold seemed to think that the last 2 fixes of adjusting the thermo couple should have done it.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:05 PM   #9
YWORRYDOG
Site Sponsor

Smile

It’s fixed!! The repair shop called this morning and said it is done. Norcold sent a wire harness, and new thermo couple (they call it an interrupter). I am so confident that it is fixed that I didn’t even set it up and try it when we got home! The TM is safely in the garage ready to go. However, go where, can’t afford the gas to go too far right now!