TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-28-2016, 12:11 PM   #11
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Padgett, your link is to the one I returned, worked great in open space, not so mounted on my license bracket. Tried another brand from eBay, most seem to be the same product with different names. I'm really interested but may go to a wired system,have to plug and unplug the TM anyhow.

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:46 PM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I cannot find the post - perhaps someone can help me. But I am sure that one of our members bought a unit with an external antenna stick at the transmitter/camera end (like most of the units linked in this thread, though not the one in Post #1). He removed the stick and substituted an external antenna on a short length of coaxial cable. Easy to do. I think that the new antenna was mounted high enough to peek over the top of the TM. Or perhaps he simply remounted the original antenna higher up. Either way, results were good. Anyone remember?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:29 PM   #13
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Sounds like I need to try that, hadn't seen the post.

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:24 PM   #14
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

RF cable will lose at least 1 dB per meter at 2.4 GHz. That run must be short. Running the video to the front of the trailer would be better from a loss perspective, but you will need a video ground loop isolator to keep noise out, about $5 on Amazon and not necessarily waterproof. If you put the transmitter on the front of the trailer aligned with the tow vehicle rear window, you will probably avoid weak signal problems.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:34 PM   #15
Bill
Site Team

Bruce -

I'm not sure which post you are responding to. If mine, the idea (as I recall) was simply to move the antenna about a meter upward to the top of the TM's rear wall, and mount it on the aluminum roof skin, making it a monopole over a somewhat mis-shaped ground plane. From there, it can shoot across the top of the TM toward the tow vehicle. In this configuration, the aluminum roof skin becomes the ground plane, rather than being a barrier or shield in the propagation path. This barrier seems to be the difficulty in most of the weak-signal discussion above.

If your thought is to move the antenna forward to a position nearer the TM tongue, I'm sure it would work electrically. But I'm not sure that I would want to run a cable, either video or RF, along the entire length of the TM. The mechanical difficulties - securing it against flapping in the wind, crossing the divide between the rear and front shells, etc. - would be annoying, though not insurmountable.

Could you elaborate a bit more about your approach?

Bill
Old 12-28-2016, 09:19 PM   #16
inghamm
Site Sponsor

Default camera behind the AC

I liked my camera except that it had a well deserved reputation for not being waterproof. I tried various means of waterproofing and finally gave up. The amazing thing was that after the water evaporated from inside the camera it still worked, so I moved it underneath the back of the AC. From back there I do have a bit of the top of the rear shell of the TM in my picture, but I can still see cars behind the trailer, so that part is working for me. That necessitated a move of the transmitter to the front shell, so I put it on the front of the front shell. Before it was on the side at the top rear of the rear shell, which actually worked pretty well. I do have a wire going across the top of the front shell, but it has been working fine.

TM: 2007 2720 (QB) TV: 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Hopkins INSIGHT brake controller, Andersen No-Sway WDH
CARCHET Solar Powered TMPS
Dometic CRX-1110 AC/DC Compressor Fridge, 200 W Solar
inghamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:03 AM   #17
stormpeakco

Default Not sure you are referring to a post in spring of '15?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I cannot find the post - perhaps someone can help me. But I am sure that one of our members bought a unit with an external antenna stick at the transmitter/camera end (like most of the units linked in this thread, though not the one in Post #1). He removed the stick and substituted an external antenna on a short length of coaxial cable. Easy to do. I think that the new antenna was mounted high enough to peek over the top of the TM. Or perhaps he simply remounted the original antenna higher up. Either way, results were good. Anyone remember?

Bill
Spendy though thus far we've been totally satisfied with this set up (to the point we remove the drivers side suction cup mirror extension to improve line of sight for pedestrians etc. in our '13 Jeep GC with side traffic avoidance warning alert)....not sure what refinements (and if costs have dwindled) have been done by the Massachusetts based co.
Additionally, there are no reverse image issues and the Sharx camera has proven to be durable, both water and snow proof. Only loss of signal interference are brief, under a half second long and occur on occasion when stopped or driving through some intersections with traffic/security cameras.

TM forum-search term rvrearviewcamera, begins on page 6 with follow up on page 7 & 8.
stormpeakco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:30 AM   #18
Bill
Site Team

Aha! I bet you are referring to a long and very informative thread that begins here
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=15074
and continues on for three pages. Lots of good info here, and some really helpful pictures. Thanks for bringing it out of hiding!

Bill
Old 12-29-2016, 12:44 PM   #19
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

I have a lot of wires running to the rear top shell, especially with solar, but I agree it's complicated and somewhat un-aesthetic even if it's only on the street side. A monopole will probably work with a short wire run.

Having looked through Amazon and eBay, I agree that a lot of the 2.4 GHz transmitters seem to be the same model, with different claims being made for them and different costs.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:29 PM   #20
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormpeakco
Spendy though thus far we've been totally satisfied with this set up (to the point we remove the drivers side suction cup mirror extension to improve line of sight for pedestrians etc. in our '13 Jeep GC with side traffic avoidance warning alert)....not sure what refinements (and if costs have dwindled) have been done by the Massachusetts based co.
Additionally, there are no reverse image issues and the Sharx camera has proven to be durable, both water and snow proof. Only loss of signal interference are brief, under a half second long and occur on occasion when stopped or driving through some intersections with traffic/security cameras.

TM forum-search term rvrearviewcamera, begins on page 6 with follow up on page 7 & 8.

So glad this thread came up again. Still pricey, but glad to know it works. I will have to remember this come spring. I would love it for backing into site.

How is the infrared at. Night?

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote