TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #1
sloliver

Default 6,000 miles in our TM.

My wife and I have embarked on a cross country in our 2011 2720SL, pulled by a 2007 VW Touareg V6 (gas). We left Las Vegas, NV last Wednesday, spent two days in Monument Valley, then three days in Durango, CO (rode the narrow gage train to Silverton and back - an E ticket ride!) and are now in Alamosa, CO. Our final destination is Philadelphia, PA to visit friends and relatives, then back down the Blue Ridge Parkway thru the Smoky's and then back to Las Vegas. All in all it's a 2 ˝ month voyage.

We've been practicing for 4 years now, taking weekend trips and the occasional long trip to California. The 2720 is our second TM, having bought a used 2619 to test the waters. So far, the TM rocks!

My biggest concern was going over the Rockies with the V6 TV. Wolf Creek Pass is about 10,800' and it has worried me for months. Today, we marched up it like storm troopers; granted we were in the slow lane and I had the VW in 3rd gear but we maintained 35-40 MPH and weren't passed too many times. The temp gage never moved and the oil temp went up about 20 degrees, no where near the red line. The Touareg and TM, I have decided, are the perfect combination. I average 16-17 mpg towing and 18-19 without the trailer. Pretty good if you ask me.

Next stop is Colorado Springs (one more pass, lower than the last) and then flat land for thousands of miles. People told me to worry about the BRP but after today, it ain't nothing!

I will update anyone interested as we progress, but the VW and the TrailManor are great!
sloliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #2
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Glad it pulled the mountain, have a fun and safe trip.

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:01 AM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I would love to read about your adventures, especially since we aren't going anywhere far away soon!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:16 AM   #4
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

When you do the Blue Ridge Parkway just 10 mile off of it on I-64 is Jefferson's Monticello.

We tried 3 time to do the Blue Ridge Parkway. But it always seems the mountains gets socked in with rain or low clouds when we try to do it. Both the east and west side of the mountains the weather is great. but on the mountain ridge it was not. We get maybe one day of nice weather and then the weather and the forecast make it not worth driving. Each time we ended up diverting our plan and taking a different route. So we started to plan a backup trip before we leave. We ended up seeing much of VA, NC, TN and KY with our backup plans. But some day we will make the entire BRP in a 3 day drive.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Blueridge pkw is nice, we like the CG's at Doughton Park, Peaks of Otter, Jullian Price and Mt Pisgah. USFS also has nice CG's near the Parkway.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #6
sloliver

Default Leaving Colorado

Well, after two weeks in Colorado we departed this morning and drove to North Platte, Nebraska. The good news: mountains are behind us; bad news, we aren't in Colorado anymore! .

Most of our trip was visiting friends and relatives. We spent 4 days at the Air Force Academy (wow!) and saw the Colorado Springs zoo and rode the cog train to the top of Pikes Peak - 14,100+- feet. Both were exceptional. While there visited the Car Show, TM's #1 dealer and chatted for a few minutes. Had to tear my wife away from the new silver-colored 3124; she really likes the king size bed. Since it's square you can sleep either long ways or sideways; eliminates the problem of climbing over the other person in the middle of the night.

Next stop, Longmont, Colorado. Estes Park and the Rocky Mountain NP are both fabulous. Mostly family visits so we didn't get out too much.

Tomorrow we head out for Omaha and are staying at Offutt AFB FamCamp. They just so happen to be having an air show this weekend and they just so happen to star the BEST FLIGHT DEMONSTRATION TEAM in the world --- The Blue Angeles! Since I live in Las Vegas I see the Thunderbirds almost daily but as a Navy veteran and retiree I have a very special spot in my heart for the Blues . They will ROCK!

After Omaha, it's off to Chicago, Grand Haven, MI and Detroit, followed by the R&R Hall of Fame in Cleveland and a "rest" with the in-laws in Philly. At least I'll sleep in a real bed.
sloliver is offline   Reply With Quote