TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2018, 09:27 PM   #1
Davis Ezell

Default Thetford recirculating model 80

my inline fuse keeps blowing, is it the pump motor???
Davis Ezell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:39 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Thetford suggests that you replace the 5 amp fuse with a 7.5 amp fuse.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:46 PM   #3
JimAdkins

Hey Bill, I'm still new to TrailManors, and we are having a similar issue. We purchased ours used, and the toilet worked once, but now just blows fuses. I've looked around Thetford's website and can't find anything saying to use a 7.5 amp fuse. Do you happen to have a link to where you found this info?

Thanks! -Jim

Edit: oh, FYI, our's is just a Electa Magic 12V, and doesn't appear to be an "80." The number on the front is 35831.
JimAdkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:27 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Jim -

I'm looking for the link. In the meantime, I suggest you pull the pump and make sure that it rotates smoothly and easily, and is not bound up in some way. To pull the pump, remove the tower cover at the back of the toilet - two big Phillips screws, as I recall. The pump motor is enclosed in a black rubber hood. Pull it up and out, being careful not to lose the white nylon motor coupling. Can you rotate the shaft easily by hand? Operate the motor while it is pulled out. Does it still blow the fuse?

Thetford's internal name for the Electra Magic Model 80 is 35831.

Let us know.

Bill
Old 05-28-2018, 09:29 PM   #5
JimAdkins

Thanks much for the reply Bill.

I pulled out the motor and pump assembly. The shaft rotates, but not very easily. I tried to disassemble it, and unscrewed 4 screws holding 2 parts of the black plastic housing together. But, the plastic housing didn't come apart easily, and I didn't want to force it. I shot a bunch of WD-40 in the openings that I could find, and tried to work it in by hand by rotating the shaft. It seemed to loosen up a bit, but still required some effort to turn with my finger.

There are also 2 nuts that seem to hold the motor on. One of them, just turned the bolt with the nut, so I couldn't remove it. Again, I didn't want to force anything, so I just screwed the nuts back on as best I could, and put it back in the toilet. I tried running it again a couple more times with new fuses, and the toilet did run for about 1 second, then the fuse would blow. I didn't see your reply until after I took it apart, so I didn't try running it outside the toilet.

Thanks for the confirmation that this is indeed an "80." I appreciate it. It looks as though we both have the same TM, a 2006 2720. So far just these toilet issues, and a couple of water leaks, but we are making progress.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:11 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Default Thetford fuse changeout

I finally remembered where I got the advice to change out the Thetford 5-amp fuse for a 7.5-amp fuse. Quite a number of years ago, I took our TM to The Car Show, the big dealer in Colorado Springs, for a "tune-up". As part of that operation, they told me about the Thetford fuse change. Although they are no longer in business, they were the second-largest, and one of the most competent, TM dealers in the country.

Bill
Old 12-17-2018, 04:54 AM   #7
GatorSLP07

Default Replace pump or fuse?

Seems we are having the same issue. Bought our 2007 2720 one year ago and no issues until the last two trips. Bought new fuses and blew through those before the end of the most recent trip earlier this month. Next trip is in about a month and want to get this problem solved in the mean time so I want to make sure I understand correctly. The 7.5 amp fuse will stop the cycle of blowing the fuses and a new pump is not necessary? I also forgot to look at the model number of the toilet before we closed it up and stored it. If I do need to get a new pump, would it be the same model (80) as what you have mentioned? Thanks for your help!
GatorSLP07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:00 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

A larger fuse should cure the problem, but that can't be guaranteed since we don't know why the original fuse is blowing.

So start with the fuse - it will cost you less than a buck.

If that doesn't work, pull out the pump motor and make sure the pump chamber and rotor aren't full of guck which is binding up the rotor. Pulling the pump motor is easy. Just remove the two big Phillips screws on the top of the back of the toilet, and lift off the cover. The pump is the rubber-encased black cylinder. As you pull it out, make sure you don't lose the white nylon block that connects the motor shaft to the pump shaft. Once you have the motor out, you can use a flashlight to peer down into the pump enclosure - maybe even shoot a strong jet of water down it to clear any clogs. Run the pump motor while it is out of the toilet, and again when you reinsert it.

Buying a new pump should be your last resort. Not only is it expensive, but it means disassembling the toilet one more level.

The model 80 is the only Thetford recirculating toilet.

Bill
Old 12-17-2018, 07:46 PM   #9
DoubleT

I recently had the same issue. Replaced with 7.5 fuse and no problems. I did this August and lived in my TM for last 4 months for temp location on a work related project. Have had no issues even with increased long term usage vs 1-2 weeks of camping. Thanks for the quick fix Bill! Hope you continue to monitor the Forum,Your knowledge is invaluable!!
TV 2012 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4.6 V-8 w/Tow Pkg
Air Bags, Swing Hitch
DoubleT is offline   Reply With Quote