TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2005, 09:14 PM   #1
Rudolph Stohlman

Default Is it possible to rent a TM?

My wife and I are new to vacationing by TT. We rented a TT in June for a 10 day trip to the Northwest. The trip was fun but the trailor seemed very heavy to tow. We are planning another trip in October to the Middlewest. Are there any sources to rent a TM TT in Southern Calif.(Orange County).
Thanks.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:11 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

This question came up about 6 months ago, IIRC, and there wasn't much in the way of a concrete answer. Translation - a few dealerships may offer rental units, but it is not a universal thing. I believe that MCD RV on Cape Cod, Mass, does so, but that isn't much help to you.

The big problem is that in order to rent a unit, your tow vehicle must be equipped to tow it - meaning a weight-distributing hitch, electrical connector, and brake controller. If you don't already own a trailer, this is an unlikely situation, of course, but if you do have a properly-equipped tow vehicle, so much the better.

The alternative is to have the dealership deliver a TM to the campground of your choice and set it up for you - but then you don't get the towing experience you seek.

When you rented the TT, what was your tow vehicle?

I would suggest that you simply call the dealers who are within reasonable range of you, and describe what you are looking for. You can find a dealer listing at the TM website, www.trailmanor.com.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:59 AM   #3
Rudolph Stohlman

Default Tow vehicle

Bill,

Thanks for the reply. Our tow vehicle is an E-250 Ford van. Previous to our trip to the N.W. we had a local R.V. shop install a Reese hitch and a Draw Tite brake controller. The hitch is not a weight-distribution type.

I did call the local TM dealer. They do not rent trailers and wasn't able to make a recommendation who might(when we are in a position to purchase a TT we would certainly consider this dealership, Custom R.V. of Anaheim. Their staff have a friendly demeanor and were very informative).

I imagine it is highly unlikely a R.V. rental store would have a TM for rent.
I will make some calls via the yellow pages. If I'm not successfull I'll return to the local rental store(Camper and Trailer Outlet of Santa Ana) and rent a conventional TT. I was very happy with their service. Before purchasing a TT I thought it would be smart to try several different types.

Thanks, Rudy
Old 09-14-2005, 06:47 PM   #4
Larry_Loo

Default Try Dinuba RV

I somehow recall that Dinuba RV used to rent TrailManor trailers when they were located in Dinuba. They moved their business to Rio Vista several years ago but may still be willing to rent a TM. Of course, if you live in Southern California, Rio Vista is quite far away. It may be worth it for you, however, to pick up and drop off a rental TM there if you're planning a trip in the northern part of our state. I've always been treated fairly in the past by the owners of that firm.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:51 AM   #5
camp2canoe

Default Hitch

We tow our 2619 with the standard Ford towing package on our '03 Ford F150 and have never missed a weight distributing hitch. I suspect the same will be true for your van. TM has done a good job of engineering to make them a pleasure to tow.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:27 PM   #6

Default Towing

Your van will tow a TM without a WD hitch. I tow mine with a 2004 F150 with a towing package but without a WDH and it works great.