TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-29-2019, 02:58 PM   #1
MSUDave

Default Bubble in roof on potential new to me TM

I am in discussions in with a seller of a newer trailmanor (2013) that the current owner said has a small bubble on the rear top of the unit.

I am asking some additional follow-up questions, but they state that it is not getting bigger in the time they have owned it (~4 years). And it has no other evidence of a leak in that area (or elsewhere).

When asked for a picture, they could not get it to show up. So I am assuming it is not significantly raised. I am not local to the unit so can not visit in person.

I'm trying to figure out if this is a long term issue I should be very concerned about? A minor annoyance that should be monitored but could be fixed if it got worse? Or mainly cosmetic and I should not worry at all?

What else should I be asking to help determine if the aluminum is pulling away from the foam core? Or anything else that I should be thinking about.

Aside from this, the unit looks clean and doesn't have any additional red flags.
MSUDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:01 PM   #2
MSUDave

I received some additional information:

The ‘bubble’ is close to a seam that runs down the middle of the rear half section (lengthwise). When visible it is appropriately 3 inches square. It was not visible today - but has been in the past.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:37 PM   #3
FlyboyTR

Dave,
That is a strange one...considering the sandwich construction. Can you take a picture of it? While it "may" be possible for a small section to oil-can when the sun is heating this up...that would mean that the aluminum has separated from the foam core. If so, it will probably never change.

It could be a good bargaining chip in the buying process.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:27 AM   #4
MSUDave

Unfortunately we are not local to that unit. The owner was unable to get it to show up in a picture. It is currently our second candidate for purchase so going to pause on discovery further until the other option pans out.

Consensus from the FB group was that it is likely not much to worry about if it isn't currently producing a leak. It is potentially a result from non distributed weight being put on the roof that compressed the foam at one point. Remedy is either wait and see if any leaks form in the future or drill a small hole and see if it can be re-adhered with a foam safe adhesive.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:38 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Dave -

FWIW, long ago and far away, my 2002 TM developed an area where the bond failed, on the top of the front shell where the skin curves down over the bend. It was reasonably big - maybe 1 foot by 2 feet or a bit bigger. I asked the factory (Tennessee at that time) about it, and sent photos. No one seemed too excited about it, told me to bring it in next time I was in Tennessee. I never did get there, and the de-bonded area never did grow or cause a problem.

I guess I would get concerned if the de-bonded area expanded until it approached a seam. If the bubble actually gets there, I suppose I would lift the edge of the skin and inject some foam, as you suggested, and weight it back down. But other than that, my experience was that it was not a problem.

Just my experience.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote