TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2016, 12:11 PM   #1
Gapopper

Default TM a/c efficiency?

How well does a roof mount a/c cool a TM. My popup a/c has to work very hard to cool. It can barely keep up during the day.
Gapopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:38 PM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapopper View Post
How well does a roof mount a/c cool a TM. My popup a/c has to work very hard to cool. It can barely keep up during the day.
Most RV's will only cool 25 degrees below the outside ambient air temp. If it's 95 outside, you may only get close to 70 inside... And that's with no air leaks, door leaks, and possibly more insulation than a TM offers in roofs, walls.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:09 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The TM A/C is rated 13,500 BTU/hr. What was the rating of the A/C in your popup?

Although the TM does have some air leaks, the big expanses of walls and roof are insulated. This is quite different from the large expanse of canvas or uninsulated fiberglass in a pop-up, especially if the canvas is in the sun.

I would expect much better results in a TM compared to a popup. I'm not sure where the estimate of a 25 degree differential comes from. I guess it might be true if the TM is in bright sun - solar loading is a big factor. But I would expect it to do much better in a shaded location.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:35 PM   #4
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

I'm with Bill. I don't see why a TrailManor AC would have problem keeping up. I have not seen a post on this forum where someone complained that their properly-working AC was not cooling their TM.

I have only had hookups twice, but the AC kept up fine. Had to turn it to "Low" after a while. It was about 90° when we used it.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:03 PM   #5
Padgett
TrailManor Master

At Sun'n'Fun this year I used the AC on every break. At 95F in bright sun it took about an hour at LO COOL to get into the 60s and have the AC set to max cool cycle.

Dunno if mine is unusual but works very well (and all on a 2400W genny)

ps everything cleanable has been cleaned & running on a soft start device.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:08 AM   #6
HIKERZ
TrailManor Master

I recently upgraded the original a/c with a Coleman Mach 3. 15k btu with the heat strip. It works well in the FL heat. Gives me about a 25 degree variance between outdoor and indoor. Just cools the unit a little faster. I have not tried the heat strip but I believe it will be about the same. Not really "heating" as opposed to just taking the chill off. An upside is that it is much lighter
Old 08-13-2016, 07:16 AM   #7
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapopper View Post
From experience, It is many times more efficient than in a pop-up during the daytime hours. We mostly camp in GA and our previous unit was a pop-up and you could hardly tell the AC was on (except for the noise), especially if parked in the summer sun. For the pop-up, that trick of covering the canvas roof areas with the silver reflective sheets did help a little however, if we weren't lucky enough to find a shaded spot.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:30 AM   #8
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Default popup

what brand of trailer are you talking about?
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:32 AM   #9
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Default cold?

how cold does it get?
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:22 PM   #10
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
From experience, It is many times more efficient than in a pop-up during the daytime hours. We mostly camp in GA and our previous unit was a pop-up and you could hardly tell the AC was on (except for the noise), especially if parked in the summer sun. For the pop-up, that trick of covering the canvas roof areas with the silver reflective sheets did help a little however, if we weren't lucky enough to find a shaded spot.
We did this too (with our Damon CampLite 2408SLE).

My wife sewed velcro strips on 2 short edges and on the opposing long edges of 2 army survival blankets, then we velcro'ed them together. This assembly process was repeated for the other side, and a single blanket had velcro attached on the long side for the pull-out dinette. I stapled velcro on the inside of the roof just over each bunkend and my pull-out dinette.. During setup (after lifting the roof about a foot) i would attach the velcro'ed short end of the combined blanket to the roof over one bunk end, then repeat for the second bunk end. I would also attached the velcro'ed long end of the single blanket over the dinette pullout. After raising the roof completely, I would secure the blankets to the trailer with a combination of binder clips and bungie cords. It did make the bunkends and dinette more tolerable during the day. (wasn't ice cold but wasn't sweltering either). Plus, as they were army blankets, they had a drab green side as well. In colder months, you simply reverse the install (metallic side facing down) to hold the heat in. (To enable this, she sewed vecro on the opposite side, opposite end of each blanket).

Our Popup was by NO MEANS air tight, but to compensate, the a/c we installed was a 15k btu Carrier Air-V. It did great in that popup, plus it had a feature called air shower. There was a large round vent that you could open on the ceiling assembly, which would basically "shower" you in cold air (when standing directly under it). Perfect for the quick cool off.

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
gonzo628 is offline   Reply With Quote