TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
brulaz

Default Bikes on Back?

Anybody put a hitch receiver on the back of their Elkmont?

All I want is a small 1.25" hitch receiver for a 2 bike rack.

Have seen 2" bolt on receivers for 4" bumper bars but nothing for the Elkmonts 2" bumper.

Hanging that weight off the bumper will not be a problem for the trailer, as I've still more than 300# below GAWR. And it would be beneficial to remove some weight from the tongue and truck as I'm exceeding it's GVWR somewhat.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Call the factory and ask about the optional bike rack receiver.

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlaupp View Post
Call the factory and ask about the optional bike rack receiver.
Thanks, I didn't realize they offered one. Have sent Parts an email.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Thanks, I didn't realize they offered one. Have sent Parts an email.
You would be better off to call them. I have never been able to get anyone there to answer an email.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
Bigbit

I got my Elkmont from Custom RV in Anaheim, CA. The trailer that I bought did not have a rear receiver for mounting a bike rack, so at my request, they installed one after the fact. It has a 2" receiver. The irony is that almost one year later, I still have not used it, so I can't comment on any pro's and con's other than it hasn't fallen off!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailmanor bumper.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	5854  
Old 05-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
brulaz

Thanks bigbit, that's pretty substantial. Doesn't look like it just bolts onto the bumper bar, but to the frame via it's own crossbar. Maybe a bit over-kill for my two bikes but who knows ...
Old 05-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
PopBeavers

My son added an after market 2 inch receiver to his Subaru WRX wagon. The hitch failed (cracked). The bike rack was 3 inch so he had to use a reducer.

Having said that, his bikes weigh 46 pounds each. Yours are probably a lot lighter.

I strongly encourage you to make sure that the bikes are cabled to the frame. That way if the fall off for any reason you will drag them behind you instead of leaving it in on the road for someone else to drive over. You probably need a security cable/lock anyway. That could probably be used.

Have someone follow you and observe how much movement is occurring to the bikes. You might want to use ropes or bungee cords to reduce the motion if it is excessive.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:57 AM   #8
camp2canoe

Why not consider carrying your bikes on the front of your TV? They are always in sight so you know how they are riding and you don't need to worry about backing them in to something. As a bonus, if you install a front receiver on your TV you have an option for tight manuvering of the TM. - camp2canoe
Old 05-11-2011, 07:36 AM   #9
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp2canoe View Post
Why not consider carrying your bikes on the front of your TV? They are always in sight so you know how they are riding and you don't need to worry about backing them in to something. As a bonus, if you install a front receiver on your TV you have an option for tight manuvering of the TM. - camp2canoe
Unfortunately, my Taco already exceeds its GVWR. The Elkmont does not.

And typically the Taco's Front Axle GAW already meets or exceeds its GAWR (with the WDH), but the Elkmont's GAW is ~300# less than its GAWR.

So I'm trying to move weight off the Taco and onto the Elkmont. I can't move the kayaks, but the bikes and other junk in the bed seem possible.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #10
Scott O

My suggestion is so obvious I know you have thought of it, but I would be interested in your comments. There are a number of devices which would allow your bikes to be carried upright in the bed of your Tacoma. I use the factory fork mounts that fit into the existing bed rails. There are others which will hold the bike wheels. This is the way I carry our bikes. I have never had any use for racks which hold the bikes behind the trailer or in front of the TV. Just too insecure and/or out-of-sight for me...