TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-06-2015, 06:03 PM   #1
funpilot
TrailManor Master

Default Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW30 RV Power Protection with Surge

I posted earlier that I was looking into getting a surge protector and was going to go the route of getting the version that you plug directly into the campground electrical panel. But kept thinking about the self-imposed stress I would have about it being stolen when I was away from the trailer in the campground and, at this point, have decided to go the hardwired route. I searched and did not find any posting of this item being installed in a TM on our forum so please direct me to the proper post if I missed it.

With the thought that no TM forum member had done this, I called the manufacturer and asked if they would install it for me and let me make a video for us to have on this forum on how they did it. I also told their sales manager that I did not think anyone with a TM had installed the hardwired version. He got back to me and confirmed that they were not aware of the hardwired version being installed in a TM, and suggested that I email the president (Thomas E. Fanelli) of the company to see if he would be interested in their doing the video. Tom responded he would very much like to do that if he could post it on his website. (Good press for TM I would hope.)

I informed TM about this and asked if they might suggest where the best place to install this equipment would be. I am waiting for their response.

But that is the purpose of this posting...I highly respect the opinions of the members of this forum and would certainly appreciate your thoughts on this project. My instinct is to put it in the back left storage area. That area on my TM has an access panel into what should be the shower area and looks like that is where the wiring from my outside receptacle to the panel would go. Your advice ...

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/#!ems-lchw30/c1t3r
Dometic 1110 Compressor Refrigerator
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Yada Wireless backup camera
funpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:25 PM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

The 30 amp power cord actually terminates in the AC/DC distribution panel. There is plenty of room in that area when the distribution panel is removed.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:23 AM   #3
funpilot
TrailManor Master

In talking with Progressive Industries, they would like it more accessible than behind the distribution panel. In my TM, there is an access panel in the left storage bin (from the back). Anyone know what is in there? I am hoping I can see the power cable. Then we can splice into it and mount the surge unit inside the storage area high up at the top (maybe?)
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit
Old 05-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #4
kikeehn

Default Progressive Ind.

Fun pilot,Scrubjaysnest and others.
Most campgrounds I've been to have boxes that you can put a lock on the CG electric pedicel Box.
That's why I carry a Good Quality pad lock with me.
Now granted, when your at a less modern CG or dry camping security would be a possibility.
Unlike a lot of you I'm not really that Mechanically or Electronically inclined and all I need is something else to go wrong. LOL
Another way would be to get a shielded cable lock, wrap the cable around the cord once then around the pedicel once and lock the Surge Protector to the post.
That way would probably make it more work to steal than it's worth.
That's just my opinion for what it's worth.
Kikeehn
kikeehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:08 AM   #5
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

I use the cable and lock method to secure the Weber grill and propane tank to the picnic table.
Really haven't seen much in the way of CG theft in over 30 years. There was a note posted at Burro Creek, BLM posted it, about generators being stolen a few years back.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:36 PM   #6
funpilot
TrailManor Master

I am more interested in the ability to see inside the camper the status of the surge protection equipment than the possibility of having it stolen. The hardwired model has a remote display. I have also read that some campgrounds do not allow you to lock anything to their electric/utility posts. Right now, I am looking at getting the hardwired unit for about $50.00 less than the portable one and getting it installed professionally by Progressive Industries as they are only a few hours away from me.

But for those not wanting to go my route, I have heard of one very positive benefit the portable unit has. Because it connects first to the utility post, it also protects the electric cable from any possible damage. The hardwired unit cannot do that.
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit
Old 05-11-2015, 03:53 PM   #7
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Well the other way is to have your own box and lock your connections in there. Thief would not know what is inside and would have to cut the electric cord. to make off.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:31 PM   #8
kikeehn

Default Progressive Industries

Padgett,
Padgett, Camping World has the box your talking about, Item #44333 on sale for $24.99.
The only thing is it would be easier to cut the Surge Protector Cord, than it would be the Cable Lock.
Kerry
kikeehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #9
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I was thinking more of a box that you cannot see what is inside.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:27 PM   #10
funpilot
TrailManor Master

Ordered my hardwired version here:

http://www.dyersonline.com/progressi...nt-system.html

Presuming my trailer is fixed by next week, I will stop by Progressive to have it installed on Friday.
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit