TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-27-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
Crusty

Default Surge protection

I have read a lot of ads for power inline surge protectors to guard against unstable campground power. Is this a real problem or just the vendor's sale pitch? Does TM offer it as standard or option? All comments are appreciated.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

I can only speak for myself,
I have never run into a problem, but from what I have read, seems to be more of a private c.g. issue, and not at all saying it can't happen anywhere, just not had any issues

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
moaboy

In the scheme of things it is pretty cheap insurance if one ig going to be traveling and visiting different cgs.
I'd suggest Progressive Industries as they have a warranty where they will replace your unit for free if it is fried. The other big manufacture will not do that.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Haven't seen a real need for one, the biggest problem is low voltage rather then spikes in voltage. Lighting strikes somewhere on CG's power system would be the most likely source of a spike. We always unplug electronics during a storm.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:13 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

ScrubJaysNest is right again. A "surge protector" will disconnect the power when it senses an overvoltage. And that's a good thing. But most of them will do nothing about an undervoltage, which is far more damaging. A cheap surge protector will ignore undervoltage conditions altogether. A good surge protector may disconnect power when it senses undervoltage (be sure to read the specs carefully). But it will do nothing to boost the voltage back into the normal range.

Voltage stabilizers will either boost or reduce voltage, but they are heavy and very expensive.

With fingers crossed, I can tell you that we have been TMing for years, occasionally in such severe thunderstorms that we witnessed ball lightning in one. Again, that doesn't prove anything - maybe we have been lucky - but be careful of advertisers' hype on surge protectors.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
MisterP

We had a surge blow out our 90 amp 12v service in our fifth wheel. We had a voltage conditioner on the service line, but discovered after the fact it can and did fail without any visible indication.

We then went to a surge protector that will go offline for over and under voltages. It also has a time delay when the power goes out and comes back on. This protects the a/c compressor. It also shows line voltage and amps, which is very useful.

I consider the device we use now money well spent. The manufacturer recommends any electronics should have a separate surge protection for voltage spikes.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:20 PM   #7
moaboy

The unit I have protects when power falls below a certain level as well as spikes.
It also let's one know if there is reverse polarity or other problematic electrical issues. I've seen some questionable CG wiring. When one considers the potential risk I think it us a good investment especially if one is visiting many different cgs. Kinda like tire pressure monitoring systems. Sure many people have traveled many miles wo one, but I also know several people who have had blowouts that have damaged their RV's as well. Some people are comfortable rolling the dice and playing the odds on certain potential problems, others less so. Different people are comfortable with different risks...all depends on ones personal comfort level.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:37 PM   #8
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I have a Progressive SSP30 and a seperate voltage monitor. To get automagic undervoltage protection you need an EMS-PT30C for a few pfennig more. Where I live my main concern is surges and momentary dropouts. Florida never has had very reliable power but to compensate I sometimes see 130vac at my outlets.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:46 PM   #9
kempert
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterP View Post

I consider the device we use now money well spent. The manufacturer recommends any electronics should have a separate surge protection for voltage spikes.
What device or manufacturer?

2008 2720SL - 7 cross-country trips so far + ventures into western Canada
2002 2720SL - 70,000+ miles before being retired to the farm
2015 Ford F150

"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have." -- Author Unknown
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:48 PM   #10
kempert
Site Sponsor

[QUOTE=moaboy;113203]The unit I have

Name of the unit?

2008 2720SL - 7 cross-country trips so far + ventures into western Canada
2002 2720SL - 70,000+ miles before being retired to the farm
2015 Ford F150

"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have." -- Author Unknown
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote