TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-12-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
SSpeed

Default First time out

Went out for the first time in our "new to us" trailer this past weekend. We had a great time camping near a lake here in the Texas hill country. I was very surprised it wasn't crowded at all. We showed up at dark, so setting up was a little harder than expected, but the park host helped by lighting the area with thier four wheeler. We took in all the peace and quiet, and wonderful weather. Amazing how relaxing it was. I am hooked and want to go out again soon. I was beginning to think the money put into this unknown idea of owning a trailer wasn't gonig to be worth it, but it was 110%.

Throughout the weekend my wife was noticing a wierd buzzing noise coming from the door area. It was very random, and I couldnt figuer out what in the world it was. On Sunday, while relaxing in my chair right outside the trailer door i noticed this small bird flying around near me. I watched it for awhile and noticed it flying under my trailer. I attached a picture of what I found. Seems he liked my trailer too. Too bad he worked all weekend on it, and I had to drive it away. ANyways, I thought it was funny and wanted to share the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BirdNest.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	5885   Click image for larger version

Name:	TrailerNight.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	5886  
Old 05-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
pauloh

That looks to be the work of a wren. Some wrens compulsively stuff sticks and twigs into every opening or potential nest site around their territory...which you probably invaded during the night! I think they do that to reduce competition from other birds (and/or campers!)
TV: 2007 Toyota 4Runner, V8, 4x4
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Reese 49586-020 Trunnion WDH
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pauloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
moaboy

Would you suggest some good campgrounds in the TX Hill country? And what cities they are near?
Thanks
Glad you enjoyed it.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I don't often recommend campgrounds, especially commercial ones, but we just came through the hill country, and we spent a night at the KOA in Fredericksburg, TX - an hour or two north of San Antonio. Nice big sites, well-gravelled, level, with big trees and grass at every site. Well off the road so it was quiet. Fredericksburg is a real nice town to walk around and explore - reminded me of Amish country in Indiana or Pennsylvania. Oh, I should mention the oryxes and lemurs...

If you are going to San Antonio (and you should if you haven't been there), the KOA in San Antonio is pretty nice as a base of operations. Their wi-fi system is completely out to lunch, though. Plan on it not working, and a staff that is not interested or capable of doing anything about it. Other than that, surprisingly nice for an in-town campground, and the bus line that runs right outside the gate makes San Antonio very accessible (you don't want to drive into S-A).

PopBeavers will comment that he never stays in commercial campgrounds, and to a large measure I agree with him. But if your purpose is to use the campground as a simple base of operations while you explore the surrounding area, then these are OK.

PM me if you would like more specific info.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
TexasCamper

Default TX state parks in Hill Country

Some good state parks in the TX Hill Country...

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f.../hill_country/
TV#1: 2008 Chrysler Town & Country (3.8L Touring w/ tow package, WDH) (*retired 2018*)
TV#2: 2015 Nissan Pathfinder (w/ tow package, WDH)
TV#3: 2018 Ford F150 (w/ tow package, WDH)
TexasCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Lady Bird Johnson municipal park in Fredericksburg has really nice RV facilities in a beautiful park like setting. For many years we camped there each year at peach-picking time. Highly recommended.

Agree with Moderator Bill about the San Antoine KOA. We also use it as a base for exploring the city. There is no good public campground conveniently close in. There are many good parks farther out - Perdernales and Guadalupe River state parks are excellent.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:12 AM   #7
ng2951

Yeah, if you did not stay at Lady Bird you missed a treat...