TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #1
BarbaraJ

Angry Fresh water draining into grey tank with pump off

My fresh water is draining into the grey tank without the pump being turned on. When I first filled the FW tank last night and turned the pump on I noticed a leak in the bathroom tap, so I left the pump off overnight. This morning I have an empty FW tank an a half full GW tank. Not a problem on this trip as I am in commercial campgrounds, but next trip I plan to boondock. Any suggestions?
New to me 2007 2720sl, new Atwood electric tongue jack, swing hitch, new group 31 battery, battery cubby mod with 3/4" plywood floor, battery cutoff switch, 100w Renogy solar suitcase, new propane regulator, new 14" class d tires, new dump valves as a result of blowout on trip home (replaced plumbing from floor flange down, new gaskets in toilet), new Battery Minder.
2005 Toyota 4runner, V8, 4wd
BarbaraJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 01:06 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

First step is probably to fix the leaky faucet. It is not hard or expensive to do, with parts from a hardware store or big box store. See Post#10 by Commodor47 here
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=19195

I'm not sure that this is the problem, though. Since the fresh water tank is on the floor, it would have to leak uphill in order to get to the bathroom sink faucet. Was the fresh water tank truly empty in the morning, or just depleted somewhat?

Do you hang up the shower hose when you are done with the tub? Or just set it on the floor of the tub. And do you turn off the shower faucets tightly? I suppose it could be siphoning the water out of the fresh water tank if a shower valve is leaky or left on.

Has it ever done this before, or is this new?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 01:18 PM   #3
BarbaraJ

This definitely a new problem. Everything was working when I winterized it last year. This is the first trip this summer.
For clarification, the bathroom faucet is only leaking when the pump is running. I can fix that when I get home.
I tried it again after draining the Grey tank completely and refilling the FW tank. Again, the FW rank is empty overnight, not just depleted, the pump is off, and the water is in the GW tank.
New to me 2007 2720sl, new Atwood electric tongue jack, swing hitch, new group 31 battery, battery cubby mod with 3/4" plywood floor, battery cutoff switch, 100w Renogy solar suitcase, new propane regulator, new 14" class d tires, new dump valves as a result of blowout on trip home (replaced plumbing from floor flange down, new gaskets in toilet), new Battery Minder.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:30 PM   #4
Shane826
TrailManor Master

TrailManor Gnomes. Gotta find the nest and get them outta there.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:02 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

It is an interesting challenge. I'm having trouble imagining how fresh water, stored at floor level, can flow up and over the various high points in the plumbing before descending into the gray tank. Yes, there is some plumbing under the bathroom floor, but all of it rises above floor level, to various faucets and outlets, before the water drops into various drains and down into the gray water tank. That's why I am looking at siphoning, though the only place I could see this happening is through the shower hose, and hence my questions in that area.

You still have the original Thetford recirculating toilet, right?

When this happens, your TM is not connected to city water (pressurized) in any way, right? Even through a hose that is turned off?

Bill
Old 08-05-2018, 02:07 PM   #6
BarbaraJ

Yes, still have the wonderful Thetford but that may be replaced next! Siphoning is a possibility even with the pump off? I hung up the shower head an refilled the FW tank. We'll see what happens now... it just may be the gnomes, but I haven't found the nest yet.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:12 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

How did you fill the fresh water tank?

Aha! You hung up the shower head? Was it lying in the bottom of the tub before? If so, and if one of the shower valves was leaky or slightly on, water could flow through the hose, into the tub, and down the drain, by gravity. That could fill the hose with water, and would start a siphon even once the water level in the fresh tank dropped.

Bill
Old 08-05-2018, 02:51 PM   #8
BarbaraJ

Luckily I'm in a commercial campground with water readily available. Not using city water hookup, just refilled the tank.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:55 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

And the shower head? Was it lying on the floor of the tub when the mystery took place?

Bill
Old 08-05-2018, 10:11 PM   #10
BarbaraJ

It was. Just returned from a day out exploring and have a little over half a tank of FW. I did run some before I left this morning. Will check in the morning to see if I can find any other leaks or if the gnomes are still at their mischief, but it looks like the answer was probably the shower head laying in the tub.
Thanks for all your help, Bill, and the quick response. I continue to be awed by the members of this forum. I'm not sure I would have had the nerve to try this alone without the support provided by all of you!

Tags
fresh water problem