TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
rgbrennan

Default Replacement Thermostat?

So i know for sure my tstat is broke in my 92 TM i just recently bought. So 2 questions does anyone know roughly how much a new tstat costs and can i go with a different type if i wanted to. I know its not the furnance as i can fiddle with the stat and get the furnance to turn on so its for sure the stat. any suggestions.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Digger

I replaced mine with digital thermostat from Walmart. About $20.

Ed
Old 04-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
rgbrennan

Digger thanks thats what i was hoping to do but wanted to be sure before doing it. and just to be sure the one in my TM right now is the tan looking one about i think 2 in x 2 in. is that the one you replaced with a digital one
Old 04-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
Digger

Don’t remember exactly the make or size of the thermostat replaced, only that it had a little lever on the bottom that you moved back and forth to set the temp. The thermostat is nothing more than a simple on/off switch that you set to control the temperature so any basic low voltage one will work.

Ed
Old 04-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
JoePK

Default Thermostat

This Hunter is what I put in mine: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ms_ohs_product
This model is a popular upgrade with the forum.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
Scott O

This is the model we used. Easy to install and works well. Be sure to pull the batteries when the TM is closed. At some time our furnace apparently turned on and made a small burn mark on the front flap which was over the heater vent. I suppose there is a possibility the whole thing could have burned down. Have no idea when it happened, just found the burn mark. Also always turn off the propane valves when in storage.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
rumbleweed

I suggest you always add a on/off switch in series with the thermostat when adding an aftermarket thermostat so you can make sure the furnace does not turn on when closed in case you forget to turn off gas. The OEM thermostat has an off position at the very low end after the detent. Also I suggest getting a replacement thermostat that has adjustable hysteresis as most of the inexpensive models have a 1 degree swing. In the TM, this will cause the furnace to cycle way to often because of the size of the space.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

The digital thermostats I installed in the TM and the Outback both had a physical on/off switch, a slide type.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
Tampajohn

Default Installed new Walmart Thermostat

Just installed a cheap Walmart Digital Thermostat on the TM. What a difference. Works great, closer tolerance when it kicks on and off. Suppose to get to 15 degrees here in the morning. Worked great last night at 25 degrees last night. We are on the road for over 4 months. Great upgrade. I would suggest it before cold weather camping using the Surburban furnace.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Stay warm !

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote