TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-15-2003, 11:35 AM   #1

Default 3124KB too much for 4Runner?

Is a 3124KB too much trailer for a 4Runner to tow? The 4Runner is a 99 4x4 automatic rated for 5000/500. I'm concerned about the tongue weight (434) and the length (24-3).

Any opinions are appreciated.
Old 05-16-2003, 02:23 AM   #2
Bruce

Default Re: 3124KB too much for 4Runner?

There has been lots of discussion on this topic. What you need to be concerned with is the gross combined weight rating, which you can get by calling the manufacturer's info line or maybe at their website. This takes into account the accessories on your vehicle, the axel ratio and the weight (actual weight from a truck scale, not the factory's dry weight) of the trailer when it is loaded for camping.
For example the loaded weight of my tow vehicle is 4,690 lbs and the loaded weight of our 3124 TM is 4,820 giving a combined weight of 9,150. The GCWR for my tow vehicle with the 3:73 axle is 10,000 lbs.
Remember that 4wd lowers your GCWR by 500 lbs. A 2wd vehicle will have a higher GCWR than an otherwise similiar 4wd model.
We had our rig weighed at the TrailBlazers Jubilee in South Dakota a few years back by an outfit called A'Weigh We Go. Their business is to attend rallys and give a seminar on proper loading, tire selection, shock absorbers, etc. They end the progarm, which cost us $30 at the time, by weighing first your tow vehicle all loaded and ready to go with passengers on board and then the trailer and tv together.

Bruce
Old 05-16-2003, 12:21 PM   #3

We had a '97 Forerunner, manual transmission.  It was probably not as powerful as yours.  It would not pull our 3124, and we had to sell the car.  I believe the wheelbase on the  Toyota is a bit short for towing.  That's not something the dealer will tell you.  We now have a Nissan Pathfinder that pulls without problem, but are considering a dual cam addition to our weight distributing hitch because the wheelbase is somewhat short.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:47 PM   #4

Thank you for your replies. I think I'll keep my eye open for a shorter lighter TM.
Old 05-20-2003, 05:10 PM   #5
Robin

We were planning to tow our newly purchased 2720SL with a 1995 4-Runner.  On our trip cross country the 4-Runner's transmission died and we bought a Tundra V8 on the spot.  In retrospect, I'm glad it happened that way because the Tundra is much more powerful than that 4-Runner ever was.  The Toyota mechanic who gave us the news about the transmission told us that his 4-Runner could hardly pull his 2,000 lb. boat up steep hills.

I hate to knock 4-Runners because we have owned two over the years, but they are kind of sluggish.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:30 PM   #6

I think the 4-Runner, as well as the T-100 engine was redesigned in 1995 which greatly increased the power.  Unfortunately, I'm hearing the towing capacity of the T-100 is lousy and doesn't match up to the manufacturers promised 5,000/500.

Alas