TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

Default SW6DE Hot Water Heater Operation

Sorry for asking so many dumb questions, I'll get past being a newbie in the near future. In the meantime...

Can someone help me out with the steps to follow for using the Suburban SW6DE (Direct Spark & Elec) hot water heater? I'd like to understand what steps to follow if using propane only, or electric only, or both propane and electricity.

I've read the operation manual, but am still a bit confused about steps and sequence. I know the first thing I'm supposed to do is once I'm hooked up to water (either city connection or fresh water tank & pump), I need to open the hot water faucets and fill the Hot Water heater tank.

Thanks for any instructions you can provide.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Hemi 5.7
RottieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #2
MisterP

Do you have the manual? Here is one if you need it.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...9&d=1353188863
Old 07-09-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

Yep, I have the manual and find it a bit confusing. Was hoping someone could provide simple step-by-step instructions depending on whether you're using propane, electricity or both.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
Old 07-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmboyd View Post
Sorry for asking so many dumb questions, I'll get past being a newbie in the near future. In the meantime...

Can someone help me out with the steps to follow for using the Suburban SW6DE (Direct Spark & Elec) hot water heater? I'd like to understand what steps to follow if using propane only, or electric only, or both propane and electricity.

I've read the operation manual, but am still a bit confused about steps and sequence. I know the first thing I'm supposed to do is once I'm hooked up to water (either city connection or fresh water tank & pump), I need to open the hot water faucets and fill the Hot Water heater tank.

Thanks for any instructions you can provide.

Hi Cindy,

After you have purged all of the air out and the hot water tank is ready, turn on your propane tank. Then turn on the hot water for propane operation by flipping the switch on the panel on the front of the sink. There is an indicator light next to the switch which should come on. When the air is purged out of the propane tube,the water heater will ignite and then the indicator light will go out.

To operate on 120 volt power. When the trailer is plugged in, open the access door to the water heater compartment. In the lower lefthand corner of that compartment is a small black rocker switch. To operate the hot water heater on 120 volt turn that switch on. You can run them both at the same time or seperately.

Hope this helps...

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

Yes! Thank you Tim. I knew it couldn't be that complicated.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
Old 07-09-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

There are a couple of tutorials in the Technical Library (TM Info You Won't Find Anywhere Else) that may help, too. One has to do with the water heater itself, the other with general operation of the propane systems.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #7
davlin
TrailManor Master

Cindy,

It's very important to remember that when you've finished using the 120vac (electric) mode of the water heater you need to turn the black toggle switch back to "OFF." If you forget to do this, it's quite possible at some future date to have the electric heating element in the water heater on with no water in the tank. This will burn out the element.

It would be nice if there was a light on the control panel that indicated that the electric element was on, but alas, there is not.

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:59 PM   #8
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

Great, thx all. The advice is much appreciated!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
Old 07-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #9
moaboy

Yes I wish there were a big red light. I'm sure one of our electrical whizz bangs could add one easily. In cars they call them "idiot" lights, that is what I need...
Old 07-10-2014, 05:11 PM   #10
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaboy View Post
Yes I wish there were a big red light. I'm sure one of our electrical whizz bangs could add one easily. In cars they call them "idiot" lights, that is what I need...
It's a simple mod that I plan to do in the very near future. I have all the parts with us; just need to get over this busted foot.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote