TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2006, 03:07 PM   #1
kwfoye

Question Where to carry a generator?

Hi everyone!

My family just purchased a 2007 3023. We are looking forward to lots of family fun. We live in the San Diego area, and some of our camping will be in our nearby deserts with no hook-ups. We will need to run the a/c every once in a while and know a generator (or generators) is (are) in our future. Leaning toward two Honda eu2000i generators and connecting them. I know I've seen threads (I've been lurking on the forum since July) about generators, but haven't seen posts on mounting them on the tongue. Has anyone done this? The men (all very mechanically capable) in the family are formulating plans , but would be comforting for me (the less mechanical and often voice of reason) to hear from someone with experience.

Since it always seems to be important, I'll go ahead and tell you we will be towing with a 2001 Dodge Durango with factory tow package, Prodigy break controller and a wdh (probably an Equal-i-zer).

Any thoughts or thread suggestions?

The Foye/Clarke Family in San Diego County
Old 10-01-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
masterge

Don't mount generators on the tounge. However, the two eu2000i are probably a good choice. Also, check into the Yamaha generators.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:29 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

George -

I'm not sure why such a blanket condemnation of tongue mounting. I can think of a couple things that might need to be considered, but might be overcome.

1. I, personally, might have second thoughts about running a (hot) generator snuggled up against the propane tanks - not to mention the rubber propane hoses and the propane regulator.

2. A generator on the tongue puts essentially all of its weight on the rear axle of the tow vehicle. Can your tow vehicle accomodate this extra weight? Be sure you have a weight-distributing hitch, and that you crank it up accordingly. And be sure the generator mounting method doesn't make access to the spring bars too difficult.

3. You will want a REALLY good cover for the generator, of course. That's a grubby location in bad weather.

One of our members did, in fact, put a generator on the tongue - a very nice installation by Custom RV in Anaheim. He had to move the propane bottles, but apparently it worked. Unfortunately, the pictures were lost in the last forum upgrade, but the thread is still there, at
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=1501
He hasn't posted in a couple years, but you could email him or send him a PM.

For permanent mounting, I don't think there are any really good options. You can't put that amount of weight on the TM's back bumper - especially if you are talking about a pair of generators. I've seen some mounted on the front bumper of the tow vehicle, which seems to me to be a great location. But that's not common. Many people seem to opt for keeping them portable, and carrying them in the tow vehicle.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 04:54 PM   #4
kwfoye

Thanks for the points to consider. I can't access that thread (probably because I need to send a check and make it official), but we bought the unit at Custom RV. I'll have the menfolk give Matt a call.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:18 PM   #5
RCCBV1

I carry one EU2000i on an 24x54 Everthere Aluminum Cargo Carrier, as well as the dual feed fuel tank. That way I stay below the max 100 lbs on the TM rear hitch. If I expect to use the AC I carry the second EU2000i in the TV.

The carrier weighs 29 pounds, and is rated to carry 400 pounds.
http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=CC2

The dual fuel tank is located at:
http://durationpower.com/store//page4.html

If the campsite has hookups, I leave it all at home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24_54.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	1511  
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2006, 01:29 PM   #6
Debian Dog

I upgraded the mounting bolts (and mounting) of a similar carrier and carry a 3000 watt generator on it plus 10 gallons of fuel.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:12 PM   #7
kwfoye

Thanks again for all the responses. At the risk of having all you on the forum go "duh", I have to ask this --Is the 100lb limit on the rear hitch that RCCBV1 mentions a 3023 vs. 2720 issue or a factory rear hitch vs a do it yourself issue? Something else entirely?

Again, you guys are great.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:58 PM   #8
RCCBV1

My understanding is it is a TrailManor limit. I don’t think it is a structural problem, as much as it has the potential of changing the weight and balance of the TM. This changes the tongue weight, and may cause the TM to have some sway problems. It has been discussed when folks talk about placing bicycles on the rear bumper.