TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2004, 01:30 AM   #1
Gwenzilla

Default Question about electrical connections

I was wondering what type of trailer wiring connector comes with the purchase of a new Trailmanor. In particular if they use a Bargman connector? and if so is it a 6 pin or a 7 pin pigtail?
I would like to get my 1999 Chevy Suburban wired and ready for its delivery. Any advice is greatly welcomed.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:44 AM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Question about electrical connections

[quote author=Gwenzilla link=board=23;threadid=1882;start=msg13339#msg1333 9 date=1083137420]
I was wondering what type of trailer wiring connector comes with the purchase of a new Trailmanor. In particular if they use a Bargman connector? and if so is it a 6 pin or a 7 pin pigtail?
I would like to get my 1999 Chevy Suburban wired and ready for its delivery. Any advice is greatly welcomed.
[/quote]
TM uses a Bargman 7-pin connector; all pins are connected per industry standard.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 12:48 PM   #3
Gwenzilla

Thanks for the reply. Now I can get started on the next new weekend project.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:31 PM   #4
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

[quote author=Gwenzilla link=board=23;threadid=1882;start=msg13339#msg1333 9 date=1083137420]
[/quote]

One thing to be aware of is that you may need to purchase and add a fuse if you want to have the Suburban charge the batteries and/or run the refrigerator on 12v while on the road. On my 2003 Chevy Tahoe the fuse box had a plastic placeholder for where this fuse goes (even though I had the towing option) -- there is a thread or two on this topic here as well as the Trailer life forum.

If you do put the fuse in, be aware that it will pull from your Suburban battery unless you unplug the TM connection or add a battery isolator when parked.

The burb will tow your TM like it's not there -- check every once in a while to make sure!

Kevin
kdrickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 09:10 PM   #5
doonboggle

Default New cord question

Where can one find a new shore cord for the 2720sl model? I presume a good one would be a moulded version. The one on the unit I just bought has seperated from the plug in and the wires inside are exposed. While it works, would like to have a neater one.

Secondary question ... if'n I locate one, has anyone ever R&R one before; and would like to respond how difficult to get to the terminals (I presume??) on the TM.
Thanks
doon
Old 09-04-2004, 08:27 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

You can buy a shore power extension cord (the same big black #10 molded cord that is on your TM now) from Camping World or any other RV dealer. It will have a plug on one end and a socket on the other, of course. If you want to hard-wire it in place (like all TMs before 2004, I think), you could cut off the receptacle end. The terminals are simple crimp-on affairs (the yellow ones) available from WalMart or any RV store - buy the crimper tool as well. The whole thing will cost about $30.

On the other hand, several TM owners here have made the effort to retrofit their rigs with a detachable cord. This involves mounting a recessed plug on the side of the TM, and getting - you guessed it - a power cord with both a plug and a socket.

Take a look at this thread - there may be others.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=1589

The Marinco stuff is annoyingly expensive, but it sure simplified power hookup.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 11:41 AM   #7
doonboggle

Default Follow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
You can buy a shore power extension cord (the same big black #10 molded cord that is on your TM now) from Camping World or any other RV dealer. It will have a plug on one end and a socket on the other, of course. If you want to hard-wire it in place (like all TMs before 2004, I think), you could cut off the receptacle end. The terminals are simple crimp-on affairs (the yellow ones) available from WalMart or any RV store - buy the crimper tool as well. The whole thing will cost about $30.

On the other hand, several TM owners here have made the effort to retrofit their rigs with a detachable cord. This involves mounting a recessed plug on the side of the TM, and getting - you guessed it - a power cord with both a plug and a socket.

Take a look at this thread - there may be others.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=1589

The Marinco stuff is annoyingly expensive, but it sure simplified power hookup.

Bill

Thanks. What you describe is what is there already ... I am pretty sure. What I am in hopes of finding is the factory fully moulded type (something like 20-25 ft. long) where the plug end and the shroud around the wiring is all one ... just like came on the unit from the factory.

WHOOPS!! Did not see Bill's response in time. Sorry.........

Bill; this reply has opened another avenue for me. I really found the other fellow's installation instructions and pictures very informative ... especially for a novice newbie like me. Am contemplating doing something like it now rather than trying to correct the problem as described in my first post.
Thanks