TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
hartsafyre

Post Elkmont owners - can you answer some questions?

Hi all. I've decided on the Elkmont 24, sofa bed, and all that space! I've upgraded from the 2720SL (I WAS going to get) for this model as I plan on being a full-timer for years. I saw one yesterday in NC, and spent quite a bit of time in it, carefully looking at the space and amenities. It's gorgeous, and loads of space and storage.

I hope you don't get tired of the 9-10 questions I have. Your answers will be carefully considered before I order it (a 2012 model). Here goes:

1. At campgrounds with full hook-ups, can the sewer hose be connected directly so as to get rid of the ‘black water’ directly, and not have to dump it at a dump station? The same question for the gray water. This is all new to me, as I’ve only tent camped. (some one said: I'm not sure why you would have to switch out the recirc toilet if you have full hookups?)
2. Which do you prefer: recirculating toilet, or the flush toilet? And why?
3. Has anyone done a front window mod IF it’s not available from the factory? Who had it done for you if not factory. Did it seal correctly? What about a shield for it while towing?
4. My TV is a 2011 Toyota Tacoma, 4x4, v6, 6500 lb max towing capacity, factory installed towing package.
5. How do I find out what the max tongue weight I can put on it?
6. Won’t a WDH and stabilizer/sway control bars add weight to the tongue?
7. Does the Reece Dual Cam take care of BOTH, WDH & sway control? I’m confused as all get out.
8. Another mod question. The ELKMONT 24, with sofa bed. The dinette bench seat (the long part that faces the door): It has only about 1/3 of the length as storage under the seat, on the right side. It would be easier to access if drawers were installed so as not to lift the cushion and board. Has anyone done this mod? My concern is matching the fabric, and if not that, matching the wood of the cabinets. Wonder if the factory would sell 2 or 3 yards of the fabric to the customer to cover the face of the drawer.
9. Those of you who have solar panels. Are they permanently attached, and does the TM have to be in full sun all the time? If not, what’s your set up if not permanent roof installed?

Thank you in advance.

Maria

PS - I spent a weekend with the Appalachian Trailblazers (2 summers ago?) They kindly, and proudly, showed off their TM's, and were not shy or hesitant to share their knowledge on the how-to's, or to answer all my questions. Thank you guys! The TM has been the only TT that has consistently been at the top of my list. I toyed briefly with the idea of an Aliner, and a Chalet, and though nice and roomy for their size, nothing beats the TM. That's why I'm at this point. Ready to buy!
Old 08-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Maria,

I was looking at the other posts, and I ran across another post by you regarding some Elkmont questions. If I were you, I would opt for a 2012 model rather than the old Elkmont at the NC dealer. By now, I would say that TrailManor has worked out any of the bugs associated with a new unit. Plus you do not have a trade in, and you are in the drivers seat for prices. The economy isn't great, and dealers are eager to sell. Just lok at wwwRVtrader.com site and put in TrailManor, and you will find some really great prices on Elmonts all over the USA. I am sure you can get a great price on ordering a new 2012. There are 2011 model Elkmonts loaded going for $23 to 24,000.00.

Yes, you can empty the holding tanks directly at your camp site if you have sewer hookup. The holding tanks will last quite a while before you have to empty them. Also, just look on the tow rating section of the TrailManor site for your specs for your Tacoma truck.

I don't know if you realize that they are making a side dinette in the Elkmont 24. It's just like the one in the Elkmont 26 and also in the Elkmont 24 bunkhouse model. If I were ordering a 24 model, I would opt for the side dinette. It makes into a bed real easily,and you can leave your sofa bed as is. If you decide, you can make up the sofa into a bed.

We ordered material directly from the factory to have slip covers made for the side dinette & couch. The price was very reasonable. Keith arranged this for me.

If I were you, I would call the factory, and ask to talk to Keith Hulsey. Tell them that Bob Strong told you to call since you want to buy an Elkmont, but had some concerns and questions. He will be very helpful. We have known Keith since 1992 when he used to go to the RV shows. He will not give you any sales B.S. He was the guy that got all of the changes done for us when we ordered the Elkmont 26. I must have talked to him 4 different times with questions before we ordered. He might be in a meeting or busy, but he will get back to you. If not, just try calling again since he is a busy guy.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
hartsafyre

Bob,

Thank you! This is great. I like the idea of emptying the holding tanks directly at the site, but another question reference that: can the holding tanks be bypassed, I mean can the waste go straight through the tank so there is no need to store, then 'empty' them?

Does your unit have a flush toilet or the recirculating one? Why did you choose one over the other? I don't like the idea of the chemicals, so I'm leaning toward the flush style, but the jury is still out on that.

I'll be checking the RV site and see what's out there. And I certainly will be calling Keith. I'm feeling a whole lot better right about now thanks to you.

Again, thank you.

Maria
Old 08-03-2011, 12:12 AM   #4
Bigbit

Maria,

I know you asked Bob, but here are my comments.

1) my Elkmont is set up like most RV's with a flush toilet feeding into a "black" holding tank, and all other sink and shower drains dumping into a separate "grey water" tank. There is no "by-pass" - in both cases, the waste must pass through the tank.

Theoretically, you can leave the grey tank valve open all the time, but this is not advisable. It is definitely NOT advisable to leave the black tank valve open all the time. If you leave the valve open all the time on the black tank, the liquids will drain off and the solids will collect at the bottom of the tank and dry. Over time, this will form the gross but aptly named "poop pyramid" which continues to grow until the tank completely clogs.

The reason you want to keep both valves closed until the black tank is almost full is as follows. By filling the black tank up before opening, when you do open the valve, the high tank level will create enough pressure / flow to suck all the solids out. Then, once the black tank is empty, you switch the hose to the grey tank and empty it; this allows the sewer hose to be flushed of the black matter.

When I looked at my Elkmont, the only ones at the dealership had the flushing toilet. Based on what I've read here, I don't think I'd want a recirculating toilet.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:20 AM   #5
hartsafyre

Bigbit,

Thank you for your reply. Bob was the first one to reply to my multiple questions and I'm hoping that other Elkmont owners will follow you both with their experiences and knowledge of my soon-to-be Elkmont 24 <woohooooo>.

Thank you so much for this most excellent information on the 'why' of when and how on the black and gray water tanks. I'm keeping a file on all the responses I get for quick access down the road.

I'm also going to try to find any and all Elkmont references here, and absorb it all <g>.

Thank you

Maria
Old 08-03-2011, 07:05 AM   #6
ng2951

If you are going to dry camp a lot, the recirculating toilet is a plus...
Old 08-03-2011, 07:24 AM   #7
hartsafyre

Thank you ng2951. I'm hoping not to have to do any dry camping, and if I should happen to find myself in having no hook-ups, then I'll have to use the camps facilities.

I love this place. You all are a great bunch. I might have to chat you up on your Cowboy Action Shooting club. I enjoy shooting, and maybe I can find some time to get into it

Maria
Old 08-03-2011, 07:35 AM   #8
Bigbit

hartsafyre,

When you say sofa bed, do you mean that the main bed is a sofa bed, or are you talking about the dining table with the wrap around couch that converts into a second bed.

We have the permanent RV queen bed with the lifters to access the storage underneath. Some have elected for the sofa bed instead, for the extra room it provides. While that does sound attractive, remember that this option, while providing more living space when set up as a sofa, significantly reduces your storage space and commits you to an air mattress and bed put-up / take-down every day. If you're full-timing, this will probably become an issue for you.

I'm sure that some have the sofa bed and will extol its virtues. Just something to think about. If you get it wrong, it's not easy to change.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:45 AM   #9
hartsafyre

Bigbit,

Yes. I like the wrap around dinette, and the sofabed layout. Since it's only me, with the cushions removed on the dinette is sufficient bed width/length for me, leaving the sofa as is. I like the extra space it provides for my painting hobby. I may have to get additional padding/cushions for sleeping comfort, but I can live with that. That is very doable since it looks like I will be able to get matching material to cover additional cushions.

Thanks for your insight. I will not dismiss it, and will give what you say some thought, and look at it from all angles.

Thanks.

Maria
Old 08-04-2011, 04:11 PM   #10
hartsafyre

Bob, Bigbit, ng...

Folks, I just heard some crushing news from an outfit that does a lot of installs etc (Trick Trucks) about. I went in to see what they had in the way of WDH/stabilizer controls. They told me that EVEN with the wdh/stablizer that I would be all over the road because the truck is NOT long enough, OR WIDE enough! There was a customer said he was a truck driver and always saw trucks being pushed/pulled all over the road by even the slightest of wind. (That took the wind out of my sails).

I specifically bought my 2011 Toyota Tacoma, with the factory installed tow package, and towing capacity of 6500 pounds because it could tow any of the TM's.

I see that one of you has a Pre-Runner, and someone else has an Enclave, and both tow a 24' Elkmont. My Tacoma's specs put it at about the same length, width, wheelbase.

I believe that you all say it's a breeze to tow with my size vehicle (which you have). Tell me these guys are TOTALLY, and COMPLETELY INSANE!

Maria *struggling to keep my cool here ::sigh::*