TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
Tampajohn

Default Removed the awning and front a lot easier to lift.

The awning had a big dent right in the middle from the previous owner making a turn to sharp hitting something bending it. I finally got a chance to work on it and it was so bent that after checking for replacement parts, I decided to remove it. Supports was bent also and canvas was torn.

I just went out and set up the TM without the awning and what a difference. The front was a lot lighter and easier to set up. If anyone has issues with lifting the front end, this makes it a lot lighter and easier. That awning must weigh over 60 lbs or more (not sure). I dragged it in the garage.

Kind of hated to loose the awning, but after the fact, I am glad I did. Several screw holes to cover and I might just put a strip of eternabond over it (not the prettiest). I hate leaks and will do about anything to prevent them. The biggest problem with removing the awning is getting rid of all that caulking. I went to Home Depot and bought some caulking remover and had to let it set several times. I also saw what looked like masking tape underneath the awning and this was as bad as the calking to remove. Neighbor suggested using olive oil on the masking tape. I did not have olive oil, but used Canola oil. Two hours of soaking and it pulled right off. Wife probably still looking for her spray can of Canola oil.

Now I have two screens to replace inside and I am done. Back on the forum searching for screen replacement.

After the post, I got worried if I could close the TM. I just tried and had no problems. I was worried if it changed the torsion setting, but everything is ok. John
Old 04-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #2
VibrantClan

Have you been out camping since you removed the awning? We are considering removing ours for a similar reason, and I was concerned as to weather this would be a job we could do on our own. I was also concerned about leaks after, and the torsion bars needing adjusting after a change like that.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:52 AM   #3
Tampajohn

Torsion bars have changed. I am heading to Trailmanor in June and having them adjusted. I still can get it up with no problems, but one side is a bit higher than the other when raising. After they are completely up top is completely level, just lop-sided when getting up. Actually it is easier to lift, but looks a bit funny. I do not miss the awning. Leaks, I have no problems. I just put a strip of Eternabond on where the awning was located. I removed it by myself. Difficult to remove old calking.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
Scott O

Tampajohn:
"Now I have two screens to replace inside and I am done. Back on the forum searching for screen replacement."

I'm not sure what the issue is (other than you probably have torn screens?). If this is the case, you can easily rescreen them yourself. Get some screen material from your local hardware store and remove the inside window by removing about a zillion screws. This exposes the screen and spline. Pull out the spline (I reused it) and put in the new screen. The spline is pretty thin, but I was able to put it back in carefully using a dull screwdriver.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:08 AM   #5
Tampajohn

Scott O is correct, just don't do it on a windy day. Once the inside frame is removed, there is nothing to hold the window in except sealant. Not a big job. I did mine a lot quicker than expected. Looks good after I did it and I am not the handiest person around. John. Don't push to hard on the spline.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
VibrantClan

Any advice for removing all that caulking? I'm having a time with it. Also we were considering leaving the brackets on that held the awning as we may replace the awning at a later date, and we figured the least amount if screws we remove the least amount of holes we will have to patch. Also what did you use to reseal the screw holes? I've been told silicone is not best for campers.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
Tampajohn

I put a strip of eternabond on the whole thing where I removed the awning. I hate leaks and will do anything to prevent them. Also an 04, not new. Eternabond is not the prettiest, but it sure works. Removal, I went to Home Depot and bought Silicon remover in the paint department. Also neighbor suggested Olive Oil and let it soak. It sure helped. I had a heck of a time getting old sealant off, but finally did get it done.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
Brutus

Default Removed my awning as well

Agree with TampaJohn. Definitely easier to lift, and still not difficult to close. I had visions of jumping up and down on the latch, but not remotely necessary.

Procedure I used to remove the whole thing:

1. Open awning enough to expose the eight screws holding the side.
2. Remove those eight screws.
3. Remove eight screws on both brackets on top. Waited for unit to at least look like it wanted to fall. It was stuck tight.
4. Pried up on two top brackets. Popped off fairly quickly. Awning still on tight. Thought there must be more brackets or screws because I couldn't budge it.
5. Had helper hold one end apply some outward pressure as I pried through the caulk, dirt, tape, adhesive? Took a bit of work of certainly wasn't close to breaking anything.
6. My awning eventually dropped down and off, but not until I was at the last couple of feet. (Obviously because helper was holding the other end up.)
7. Now I have 16 open holes. I'm currently heading out to get Eternabond DoubleStick for filling RV screw holes. Instructions here:

May put some white caulk on top afterwards for the heck of it.
8. Remove the old caulk and tape.

Fully reversible when it comes time to sell...

Just passing along the info FWIW...

Pat

Edit: My front shell lifts up evenly as long as I lift right of center.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Hey Brutus,

How much does the awning weigh? I am thinking of removing mine, but not sure if I would need to have the torsion bars adjusted. My 2720 lifts very smoothly now.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #10
Brutus

Hi Tim,
just went out and weighed it. My 11.5' version came in at 52 pounds. (Model F45i, 3.5). Not an earth-shattering amount of weight, but it was just dead weight to me anyway. Gave it shot of lube a few years ago to kinda-sorta make sure it'll work in the future. No issues with it rolling out today.

Also had to order the DoubleStick. Probably is over kill, but what the heck. Just used some silicone caulk with the screws as a stop-gap measure for now.

You go by Redtail Cruiser. I think I'm now Redneck Cruiser. Got a fine assortment of dirt and caulk in the pic, but there is in fact a camper underneath all that. Stripping down the TM in prep to take delivery of an Audi Q5 TDI in a few months (4400# tow rating/440# tongue). Also got the propane tanks off (so now it's really redneckin'). Getting ready for a trip to the scales tomorrow. Will post the results in Tow Rigs section when I have them.
r/
Pat

Edit: As an aside, if you're interested, the wardrobe cabinet weighs in at 31 pounds. We always just stored pillow and blankets in there anyhow... so out it came. Also opens up a hole now (where the wardrobe sits when unit is closed) to move other stuff closer to the rear axle and hopefully further reduce tongue weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	038.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	8766