TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
Rich_in_Tampa

Default TM as possible upgrade choice from a class B

New member here, considering the TM as an upgrade from our Great West Legend, a Sprinter-based class b. We like our rig quite a bit but do have a few lingering constraints and concerns. I wonder if anyone could provide some sanity checking as to whether a TM would be a sound strategy.

Problem 1: space. I think even I can confidently state that there will be a ton more room in a TM.

Problem 2: the bed in the Class B is too short. Are there any design issues in the TM which interfere with full enjoyment of the queen or king mattress in the TM? Like an overhanging shelf or cabinet just a it too close for comfort?

Problem 3: A/C noise. The roof unit in our Legend is right over the bed, not ducted, and sounds like a jet engine -- especially when trying to sleep. Looks like the TM has a similar rooftop design, but I am hoping that the air conditioner is placed far enough from the bed that it's not a show-stopper. Remember that we live in hot weather here, so the AC is an important necessity.

Any other considerations for such a change-over? Is there the equivalent of any basement storage? Are there any hybrid SUVs, like a Highlander, that anyone has found adequate?

Thanks for indulging me - I'm intrigued by this contraption.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:06 PM   #2
grakin

#1 space - even the smallest TM is equivalent to a 26 foot conventional trailer. I think you'll be pleased by interior room.

#2 bed - I don't have any problems with the beds, but you might be longer or something than I am. I do find them quite high - it's hard to get into them, it's quite a jump. When you look at one, make sure you climb into bed.

#3 AC - It is *VERY VERY* loud IMHO. I can sleep through it, but, yes, it is loud. Very loud.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:34 AM   #3
mtnguy

#2 - I am 6'3" and have plenty of room in the beds. I think they are as long as my queen at home.

#3 - The furnace is noisy also. But I think you will have that problem in any RV without ducted air & heat.

Chap
Old 06-20-2007, 07:23 AM   #4
Bob&Karen

#1 - Space will be more in the TM. However, if you have a slide-out in your current rig, be aware that the side-to-side space will be less with a TM. I keep hoping their engineers will be able to develop a slide-out or tip-out.

#2 - We have a 3124 with king-size bed. I am 6' 6" and have plenty of room.

#3 - As others have stated, the AC is loud, but some here have modded their units to quiet it somewhat. I'm not sure what it entails...

Regards,

Bob
Old 06-20-2007, 08:29 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The SL models (like mine) have storage space under the couch that is assessible only from outside (unless you lift the couch cushion, which is kind of a pain). True, it is not below the floor - but is this a basement? Similarly, there is a compartment under the rear bed that is accessible only from the outside. Half the width of the TM, about 36" high, and about 18" front-to-back. This is where I keep water hoses / filters / connectors adapters, heavy duty extension cords, TV cable, tools, etc.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:33 AM   #6
Bill & Lisa

Leon makes a good point on the Full beds. All of the models with a front bed only have a Full bed upfront. The only model with a Full bed in the rear is the smallest one (a 2619 - like leon has). All the other models have a Queen or King bed in back and two fit comfortably on either.

Advantage of the Kings is you can sleep with your head or feet pointed at the back window and either person can roll to the center of the bed and get out (to use the rest room or whatever). On the Queens you have to sleep with your head towards either one of the side windows. this means someone is sleeping near the opening and someone is sleeping alongside the rear window. If the rear window person needs to get up for any reason before the other person, they would have to crawl out over the person sleeping across the opening. Can be a little tough not to mention difficult.

Bill
Old 06-20-2007, 01:34 PM   #7
CAmark
Site Sponsor

2720SL note:
I am 6'2" and sleep back to front "on an angle" with feet just going into the hallway when I stretch out....I seldom sleep stretched out so this is not a problem for me. This arrangement allows either of us to get out/in the bed without bothering the other too much. We do use the step stool to get in/out.
I tow with a Honda Pilot but suggest you use "search" for different types of SUV/mini-vans to get everyone's story -- there has been a wide range of opinion expressed and it all will serve to inform you so you can make your best decision...and your decision on a TV is really up to you.

Mark
or 04 Pilot w/ Tow Package
Prodigy Brake Controller; Husky 800/1200 WDH; McKesh Mirrors
2006 2720SL; A/C; awning; swing hitch; 14" NEXEN Load Range D tires
CAmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:02 PM   #8
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Problem 3: A/C noise. The roof unit in our Legend is right over the bed, not ducted, and sounds like a jet engine -- especially when trying to sleep. Looks like the TM has a similar rooftop design, but I am hoping that the air conditioner is placed far enough from the bed that it's not a show-stopper. Remember that we live in hot weather here, so the AC is an important necessity.
Since I just used the TM to dry camp mostly in the cool weather since I bought it used last November, I have never used the AC while camping. I did try it out just to make sure it worked during 1 of the warmer days this spring, but decided to try it out again today in the 90s. It cooled down the TM to mid 70s within an hour, and it is not particularly noisy on low fan. The AC on the newer units (after 2002 I think) is mounted on the front shell away from the back bed, and some of the older units the AC was mounted beside the stove as a side mount unit. And on my TM, as I think most of the newer 1s, you can take the rear privacy curtain out of the slides, and mount the curtain on velcro on the wardrode cabinet and bathroom wall so that the air from the AC still flows over the curtain into the back bed area.

The TM is a lot less obnoxious than those confounded ACs in motel rooms !!!

Chap
Old 06-21-2007, 05:44 PM   #9
jmburg

We became TM owners in May, finding ours on this forum. We have been very pleased but agree with Leon that dressing can be difficult. Our solution was to take out the wardrobe and replace it with 3 large stackable plastic drawers. They do not reach as high as the wardrobe and have made the bed area seem less confining. Also, we pull the bed privacy curtain, close the window curtain across from the bath and open the bath door to make a dressing area. The drawers hold our clothes and toiletries not stored in the bathroom. This has been much less cramped for us.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:51 PM   #10
Rich_in_Tampa

I'm interested - located a dealer close by and will be looking at some models this weekend - I report back here to share my experience.

I'm a little concerned about how to work the deal: we hav a 1 year old 2006 Sprinter-based Class B which is high end and for which we paid about $75k. Naturally, we are taking the 1st year hit on resale, but had planned on keeping it a while (I know, I know ). So even with a big hit, the trade-in will be worth well more than the new trailer. May end up having to consign the Sprinter and do the deal after it sells. Unless the dealer is willing to sell me the TM and hand over a check at the same time???

As they say on the news, more later...