TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-07-2006, 10:24 AM   #1
Travler

Smile Leaks - Need solution

My wife and I purchased a 2006 TM2720sd which has not been used yet, but it has just sat out in the weather, set up. The problem is when it rains the interior on the right side of the TM gets wet around the curtain area in the front next to the couch. Has anyone experienced this problem? If so what was done to address this problem?
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:56 AM   #2
AstroBruce

Probably the caulking between the awning and shell.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:48 PM   #3
BobRederick

Traveler,
This is definitely not normal and can be fixed. There is a leak that needs calulking at the A/C, roof vent, awning, roof center strip, or elsewhere. Best wishes in finding it or take it to the dealer.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:40 PM   #4
Travler

Thank you

And from what I've read on this site......this is a odd problem.

Our shake down trip is this coming weekend we are headed to Galveston Tx for a couple of days and we are looking forward to it.

After we get back I'll just take it to the dealer and let them fix it or give us a new one..............LOL.........

Anyway Thanks for the response
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:16 PM   #5
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

In my obsevation, leaks are not unheard of with TMs and are probably more likely with one-person handling. The tops twist quite a bit when raised or lowered one side at a time and leaks are almost inevitable. Our's had a leak around one top vent when it was new but a little caulking stopped it. I find the white, sticky stuff they sell and use at RV places such as Camping World remains pliable and does a much better job than silicone. YMMV
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:21 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Ooooh! I'm not disagreeing with your conclusion - twisting could be a problem - but the tops (shells) shouldn't twist when you open them. Sounds like you are grabbing a CORNER of the shell and lifting. Don't do it! Grab the shell right in the middle, under the center of the window, and lift from there. No twisting!

That being said, yes, the Original Poster needs to do some caulking.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:12 PM   #7
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

I should have been clearer in my post. My wife and I open and close our TM on both sides at the same time so experience minimal twisting. I was talking about a one-person operation where you pop the catches one side at a time to open it and stand in the stirrups one side at a time to close it. Since the closed end of the tops is down and sitting on the rubber bumpers during both operations it leaves one side of the open end of the tops a few inches higher while you walk around to release or fasten the other catch. I noticed this top twisting when our sales person was demonstrating the opening and closing process and we decided early on that we would avoid doing it that way when possible. YMMV and I suspect many have opened and closed their TMs one side at a time for years without leaks developing. IME however almost all RVs eventually suffer leaks because of the pounding and vibration they experience while being towed and periodic maintenance is necessary.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:12 PM   #8
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default is there a drip cap over the door?

The factory has stopped putting a drip cap over the door. One other member had a problem similar to yours with water coming off the roof behind the awning and rolling down the wall and into the door. I think that the factory sent him a drip cap and he installed it himself.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:12 PM   #9
belanajeff

Default Same problem PLUS

We are having similar problem. We purchased our 2006 2720SD last year (brand new) and are STILL experiencing problems. After much hard discussions with the dealer (Sanders RV of Ocala, FL) and Trailmanor service, they finally agreed to pick up the camper from my home and repair ALL the issues. I was happy until last weekend, when my wife and I took our first camping trip of the year (only our 4th overall in our NEW Trailmanor). We now have a leak in the front top section. The dealer said they re-caulked ALL the joints in the camper. Fortunately, another local dealer is now a Trailmanor dealer and I have an appointment with them to repair this leak. Hopefully, they will be able to reapir it and I can provide more positive feedback. We love camping and we love the Trailmanor concept..however, we expect a NEW camper to be free of leaks and defects and the dealer and manufacturer to stand behind their product better.

Jeff Colquitt
2006 2720SD
2003 Toyota 4Runner V6
belanajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:17 PM   #10
MidwestDave

Wink Roof leak

We too have a 2006 model 2720 and the front shell curbside leaked. I removed the caulk from the vehicle end (topOnly) to the end of the front shell.
I cleaned it thouroughly with alcohol and used a self leveling caulk, around $9 a tube, use it sparingly cause it spreads out. This took care of our leaks.
Good luck!