TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2009, 06:41 PM   #21
P and B

Wayne,

I think you can stay out longer too. I totally agree with you though ;-)

Phil
Old 08-03-2010, 11:29 AM   #22
oldsteve

We took delivery on an Elkmont 24 last week. We're both retired and in our early 70's. For the last ten years we camped in a 24 ft. Towlite 23TD, made by HiLo, and similar to the HiLo in operation. We really liked it, but puting stuff away before moving and getting it out again when we stopped was getting old along with us, as someone else said. Packing the wheel bearings every year was getting old, too. (We heard a couple of weeks ago that HiLo has gone out of business.)

We travel a lot if miles, and we, too, were concerned about gas mileage. The trip home from the dealer (Dave Arbogast in Troy, OH) was about 400 miles, and we took three days to do it. Gas mileage was about 12.5. We got about about 13.5 with the Towlite, so we are happy with the Elkmont. The Towlite was about 500 lbs heavier (including a Hensley Arrow hitch) than the Elkmont, but it collapsed down to a lower towing height. I thought the lower weight of the Elkmont might make up for the lower towing height of the Towlite, and it almost did.

The salesman at Arbogast said it would tow like a dream, and it does. No problems at all with sway or stability, even on the interstates. The tongue weight this morning was 528 lbs, with 1 1/2 tanks of propane and 1/4 tank of water. and nothing of consequence stored forward of the axle. We tow with 2003 Tahoe. There were a couple of other small problems, but Arbogast is taking care of them.

I have read a couple of posts about problems with roof leaks. We went through a couple of pretty bad rainstorms on the way home, with no leak problems.

We really like the Elkmont. A lot of thought obviously went in to its design, from both the layout and useage standpoint, and with regard to weight and towing characteristics.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #23
PopBeavers

For Memorial Day weekend we went boon-docking. I towed the TM with the 2500HD and my wife towed the ATV trailer with the 1500HD. The last 3.7 miles took more than an hour. The mud was nearly a foot deep in places. I used 4wd low range most of the way.

Any trailer taller than my truck will hit tree limbs.

Unless you have 4wd you aren't going with me.

But, very few people have the desire to go where I go.

First time I ever had snow on the ground while camping with the TM.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:42 AM   #24
brulaz

Steve,

Glad you like your Elkmont. We really like ours too. It handles exceptionally well for an upright, especially now that I've got my WDH configured right. And we love the kitchen space, big frig and bath.

It's good to hear that you have no leak problems so far. But I would keep my eyes open. Some of our leaks have developed over time and after hauling the trailer all over the place. There's not much worse than opening up a trailer that has been stored over-winter to find water damage.

You might consider paying a little bit to become a regular forum member here. It's been one of the best investments I've made.

Cheers ...