TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
nicknsandy

Default Hooking up to separate gray and black tanks

We have a 2011 elkmont 24' and wonder how are others hooking up to the separate drain valves. I have tried a wye connector and separate hoses, but it is all so flaky and prone to leaks. I have also tried one hose, draining black and wash out then put on gray. Such a hassle.
I need some help!
Old 06-05-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
Bigbit

I do 'em one at a time, black first, then grey to flush out the hose.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:06 AM   #3
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbit View Post
I do 'em one at a time, black first, then grey to flush out the hose.
Same here.

But for a permanent connection I hitched up the grey only. Then every 4-5 days hitched up and drained the black water and then switched it back to the grey. I figure it's better for the black water tank to have a good "whoosh" to get the solids out. But I've only done this at one site so ...
Old 06-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
Bigbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Same here.

But for a permanent connection I hitched up the grey only. Then every 4-5 days hitched up and drained the black water and then switched it back to the grey. I figure it's better for the black water tank to have a good "whoosh" to get the solids out. But I've only done this at one site so ...
I agree. You need to let the black tank build up to at least 2/3 full to generate enough flow to suck the solids out. I find that on a typical 2-day weekend, we will just about fill both our 15 gal black and 30 gal grey tanks (we tend not to use the public facilities if we can avoid it). I usually don't even take the sewer hose out until we are ready to close up. I connect to black first, empty the tank, then go inside, fill the tank at least half full, then empty again, then switch to grey, empty the grey tank, then drain the hose and pack it up.

If we are staying longer then two days, then I'll do the grey thing like you describe. If I know the black is getting full, I shut off the grey valve and let it build up, then do the black / grey empty procedure, leaving the grey valve open when I'm done. At take-down time, I shut the grey valve the night before, then do my standard close-up routine.

I have been using this procedure for some time, and never have odor issues in my trailer.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
Shandysplace

Default Sewer Solutions

With our Elkmont 26 we hook up our Sewer Solutions unit http://www.sewersolution.com/ to the grey tank outlet and leave it open for the duration of our stay.

On leaving we close the valve on the empty grey tank and connect Sewer Solutions to the black tank. Sewer Solutions uses a high pressure water jet (15 psi minimum) to totally macerate all paper and solids as the tank is drained. Then you rotate that high pressure jet to shoot the water back into the tank for thorough rinsing. After a couple of flushings the water runs clear.

The unit is available at Camping World for the President's Club price of $129.99--well worth it for us.