TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2010, 11:53 AM   #21
cochise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
On the Trailmanor website, the Elkmont specs clearly state "Norcold full-size 2-way refrigerator". There shouldn't be any confusion about this - especially among dealers, but also among buyers.

Bill
Yes Bill...
Thay do state that BUT they also state in their brochure the the Elkmont weighs 2498 lb with a tongue weight of 320 lb. However the truth is that the Elkmont we bought weighed 3600 lb with about 600 lb on the tongue. And yes in the fine print it was defined as "Dry Weight" but when a customer tells the dealer that he is capable of towing 3500 lb total with no more than 350 on the tongue than the dealer should stop his sales pitch and explain, and when you open TM's Elkmont brochure on page two at the top it even states that these can be towed with "the most popular minivans, crossovers and SUV's". 80% of those have a tow limit of 3500 lb and about 350 on the tongue. The trailer manufacturers don't give a crap about customer service as long as they can get rid of their product. And although someone here suggested that I contact RVIA with mu concern, which I did, I am to this date without an answer from them. But than again it is an association protecting the manufacturers, not the customers.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #22
iamstrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wahlsten View Post
Yes the Elkmont only runs on Gas or 110. We used Gas for driving. I know some states will not allow gas if going through tunnels. But if you don't use gas you might have a real mess after a day long drive to the next campsite.
I don't understand this post. Are you saying the refrig/freezer will not be kept cold while Elkmont is being towed?

I find the red manual very hard to interpret as well since geared toward folding models and told TM rep (son of owner) about it. He just agreed, but we have not seen anything different being sent to us.

The recall on the AC is quite a bummer-have to travel some distance for req'd service.

Anyone have suggestions for the toilet lid and seat hitting the curved wall when in up position? Will not stay up, has to be held open. Pretty inconvenient for male passengers! thanks, von iams
Old 04-17-2010, 07:10 AM   #23
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamstrail View Post
I don't understand this post. Are you saying the refrig/freezer will not be kept cold while Elkmont is being towed?

I find the red manual very hard to interpret as well since geared toward folding models and told TM rep (son of owner) about it. He just agreed, but we have not seen anything different being sent to us.

The recall on the AC is quite a bummer-have to travel some distance for req'd service.

Anyone have suggestions for the toilet lid and seat hitting the curved wall when in up position? Will not stay up, has to be held open. Pretty inconvenient for male passengers! thanks, von iams
Just leave the frig in auto mode and leave your propane tanks on. When you unplug the 120V, check the propane light on the frig. It should come on to indicate that you are using propane.

Agreed about the manual.

The AC recall only applies to Carrier models. Our Elkmont did not come with a Carrier AC, so no recall service necessary.

Our toilet lid stays up, but it is vertical, touching the wall corner. I can see if the toilet were positioned slightly to the right, we would have your problem. Not sure what to suggest: self-adhesive velcro patches? some sort of latch on the wall?
Old 04-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #24
cochise

Quote:

Just make sure the gas light is STEADY ON, NOT FLASHING. Should it flash, just turn it to OFF, wait 10-15 seconds and try again. Once it is a solid yellow light you are OK.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #25
iamstrail

Thanks brulaz and cochise for suggestions. Yes, ours is a carrier a/c. Dealer told us not to drive with propane tanks on. So if not plugged in to electrical and not running propane are we just left with what cold the refer has built up while running?
(Sorry, we are just so new to all this and MUCH more complicated than we ever anticipated). thanks again, v iams
PS When I posted about brake noise/surging, Someone said our truck may be too light, I checked Ridgeline owners manual and says we can tow 4750 lbs with 2-3 passengers. (2 of us and 1 dog). Does this seem OK?
Old 04-18-2010, 06:50 AM   #26
brulaz

Quote:
Dealer told us not to drive with propane tanks on. So if not plugged in to electrical and not running propane are we just left with what cold the refer has built up while running?
Yes. But there are differences of opinion on whether to run with propane or not. Some people will not do it for safety reasons. Your dealer may have recommended against it for both safety and liability reasons. Others do. We do. You'll just have to weigh the pros and cons and decide for yourself.

There's also differences of opinion about how heavy duty your tow vehicle has to be. The Ridgeline is definitely better than a minivan, and there's at least one person on this board towing with a minivan. So, again, read all the advice, go for a few trips and see how the rig handles and then decide whether you are comfortable with your T.V.

It will all come together eventually, but it's definitely overwhelming at first. There were times when I would wake up at night wondering if we had made the right decision. But now, we are very pleased.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #27
Beak12

We have owned at least 7 RV's of different types. Class C, Class B, and 3 Class A's and all of them used Gas when on the road. Some had a Auto switch which made the change for us and some we made the switch as we left the campground. The only one we had that offered 12V was my 2720SL. Which we used when on the road. We did unplug from the TV when we stopped for lunch if we thought we would be longer than 45 Min. So with my new Elkmont we will use gas as we travel. I will ck the different state rules about use of gas in tunnels.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #28
mtnguy

For those Elkmont owners that don't want to go down the road with the propane on to run the fridge, there was an inventive solution brought up on another forum that I am a member of to cool the fridge using an inverter while traveling down the road.

Check out post # 13: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ghlight=fridge

Leaving the propane on while traveling was an eye opener for me also, as I was used to the 3-way fridge in the fold-down Trailmanor. But have now joined the multitudes that leave the fridge on propane while under way.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:10 AM   #29
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Some years back, we had a long discussion on this board about using an inverter to power the TM's 3-way refrig while on the road. The motivation was partly the same - reluctance to leave propane turned on - and partly different - the inability of some tow vehicles to supply enough 12-volt power to run the refrig, and the resulting dead TM battery at the end of the day.

A lot of the discussion seems to be missing, undoubtedly lost in the board conversion that happened in 2002. However, there might be some useful content left.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2837

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:54 PM   #30
iamstrail

Hello Bill: If this applies to the Elkmont refrigerator, would you be able to give me access (or reprint info here)? I cannot get the link to work. Thank you, von iams