TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
national757

Default Running Fridge on Propane while enroute

Saw some posts regarding procedures for running the fridge prior to departure, no problem there as mine chills down nicely on AC power. Switched over to battery as usual then closed up, we then spent the night in a hotel on the way to our campsite after a 3 hour drive. Opened up the rig, switched over to propane and repeated the process in morning, kind of a PITA IMHO. Thought about just running the fridge on propane for the trip, used to do it in my old RV with no problems....Any thoughts out there??
national757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #2
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Two schools of thought - 1) Don't travel with propane cooling fridge, as gas station vapors could come up to your flame and start a nasty fire. Also, if you wreck, if the propane is not turned-off at the tanks, there could be a nasty fire.

2) Some folks travel with propane on, and turn it off before entering a gas station.

Traveling long distance on 12v can drain TM battery. If going to a hookup CG, no problem. If dry camping, you may not have any power left for the evening. But, if you are traveling long distance, and it is hot, propane is the more efficient way to keep fridge cold, and not drain battery.

I have not seen any posts regarding using 12v in-transit, if one has a solar panel. That will send some charge to the battery, if the sun is shining. Anyone care to postulate on running fridge on 12v, while solar is charging battery? Will solar output offset fridge drain?
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:06 AM   #3
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

There are two schools of thought on using propane while moving down the highway:
1. Don't do it its dangerous
2. It's ok to do it.

Some states it is illegal to have the propane on and go through a tunnel.

As for running on 12 volt several of us have different methods. There are a couple threads on the board about it.

This is most detailed http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ight=refrig+dc

This one covers a temp controller
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ight=refrig+dc

There are others. Also threads on the pros and cons of using propane while going down the highway.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:29 AM   #4
davlin
TrailManor Master

Wait. Going camping without shore power? Have we become barbarians?

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:22 AM   #5
rumbleweed

In some states, it is illegal to go through a tunnel with propane tanks no matter if they are on or off.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:41 AM   #6
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

So can you damage the camper if running the fridge on propane with the fan on while traveling? Propane always seems to do a much better job cooling?

I had 3 campers that did not have the 12V fridge option, so if you wanted to keep the fridge cool it was propane. I understand the risk of having a live flame.

FYI the Baltimore tunnel on I-95 under the bay you cant travel through if you have more then 3 -1 LB bottles of propane. So if hauling your camper through that area, take the longer bypass route. I't sucks to get right up to the tunnel and have to turn around and backtrack, Been there in 1987. There is a large fine if you go through it. I know VA tunnels you have to turn off your propane valves along I-77. I have only heard of the VA police pulling over one camper and they gave the owner a warning and education of the law.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:52 PM   #7
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

That may also be a possibility as both the intake and exhaust vents, look like vented doors, will be covered by the shells. Some have reported damage from closing the front shell to soon after shutting off the heater. The vent fan when on 12 volt DC may not move enough air.
I personally wouldn't do it. To much hassle to open the camper and turn the frig off before pulling up to the gas pumps. Our fill for the TV is on the same side as the frig so now you run into the open flame within 50 feet of the pumps.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
moaboy

U r allowed to travel thru tunnels around virginia beach area, but must pull into the inspection station to confirm u have your bottles turned off. They take down your vehicle info. Never had a problem. Kinda like going thru a truck stop but faster, I've never had to wait.