TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2016, 10:23 AM   #11
Skyjim73

Saw a night shuttle launch (STS-82) in 1997 - I was still working on the program then in California. One of my most cherished memories! Was ready for everything EXCEPT the sky turning blue as Discovery cleared the tower, riding on engines I had helped to build...
3124KB delivered 5/2015 - early unit from Nebraska. TM installed Dometic compressor fridge, lower battery rails, 4AWG batt cable, and PD converter during build. Custom RV installed cassette toilet, two 260 AH 6V batts, 2 UniSolar 64 solar panels, Morningstar MPPT controller/meter.

Tow vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman CC 4x4 3.0 diesel.
Skyjim73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:21 PM   #12
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Default Seeing launches

For those who wish to see launches, there are two scheduled in Vandenberg in September, a noon launch of a Delta on the 15th, and a 9 PM launch of a Falcon 9 on the 19th. And some time to be around Santa Barbara between, if that works out. These are all "NET" dates, which means "not earlier than" and they are prone to reschedule and scrub.

For ULA launches at Vandenberg, use the public viewing area at 34º 46.331’ N, 120º 31.901’ W, park on Corral Road and walk to the bleachers. The guy in air force ACUs is friendly, public is invited.

For Falcon 9, go here. The road will be blocked immediately after that point.

For Canaveral launches, park at the side of the A1A causeway to Port Canaveral, or the 401 going to the gate of the base at Port Canaveral.

You can follow the schedules of all major rockets here. When you are close to a launch time, subscribe to @spaceflightnow on twitter, and then hook that to your phone SMS via these instructions. That will give you real-time information when the launch happens, or if there's a scrub.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:44 PM   #13
Maebeso

This is on my radar for sure!

From what I understand, the 'epicenter' of the eclipse is near Beatrice, Nebraska. There are a couple of campgrounds in that area, none that I've been to though. I've read some local news articles about the 2017 eclipse, & it seems that they are noticing an uptick in hotel reservations around that date. I bet campgrounds will be filling up also. I haven't made any reservation myself yet, but I thank you for reminding me to get on it!
First Camper! June2016
*2007 TRAILMANOR 2720SL*
TV: 2006 Nissan Murano 'REBA' (?)
::: Ha. Nope, Reba was too small! Borrowing a trusty old 2000 Silverado for camping trips, for now.
~ whatever you do, take care of your shoes! :cwmddd:
Maebeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:32 PM   #14
Shane826
TrailManor Master

We are looking to see the eclipse in South Carolina, and make a Myrtle Beach vacation out of the trip. Not sure if we are gonna take the TrailManor though. The fuel bill isn't really offset by the cost of a campsite vs hotel.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:48 PM   #15
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Wink Reservations made

We just booked reservations in Dillard, GA at River Vista RV Park if the map is correct I won't have to move.
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:17 AM   #16
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

We just made reservations to Indian Cave State Park in Nebraska. That gives us options - stay put, or tavel to Saint Joseph, Mo, an hour away, where they will have a very big thing at the airport, with educational aids, etc., or we can travel west.

It's important to plan mobility when planning to see an eclipse. If the weather looks like it will turn bad, its important to be able to pull up stakes and move a few hundred miles to get a clear view.

Also bear in mind that different places have different clouds. Nebraska statistically speaking has some of the lowest odds of clouds in late August, thought there's HUGE variance in these numbers. Mobility is important!

2720SL The "Inator"
Tanium 600lb WDH, Atwood power Jack, 2 inch lift kit, 15 inch tires, 200W Solar, T105 Pair, Yamaha EF1000i w/ propane conversion, Tuson TSC electronic sway control, Trojan Hydrolink battery watering system

2005 Ford Expedition
Factory tow Package, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Grand Aero Tow mirrors

TRailer Valet XL
Mr_funnypuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:00 AM   #17
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Attached is the map of the eclipse path via NASA. I'm reading the best place is between Nashville and St Louis. Being east of the Miss......ppi it's a crap shot on the weather, but that is normally a dryer time of the summer?

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogl...21Tgoogle.html

We are going to try and camp in the path.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 03:44 PM   #18
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper View Post
Attached is the map of the eclipse path via NASA. I'm reading the best place is between Nashville and St Louis.
For some travelers, it may be worth noting that although there is a "best place" (meaning longest eclipse duration), the actual duration isn't much different in other locations. For example, the greatest duration appears to be 2:40 just south of St. Louis, Mo. But the duration is 2:34 as the eclipse passes over the Atlantic coastline near Charleston, SC, and about the same in central Nebraska. While I hope to see the eclipse, I'm not willing to drive 800 miles for an extra 6 seconds. As Mr Funnypuns notes, last-minute mobility will be a lot more important, I think.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:30 PM   #19
klpauba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_funnypuns View Post
We just made reservations to Indian Cave State Park in Nebraska. That gives us options - stay put, or tavel to Saint Joseph, Mo, an hour away, where they will have a very big thing at the airport, with educational aids, etc., or we can travel west.

... snip ...
Kewl! I reserved site #55 and will be there from Aug 18 through the 22nd. It will be great to meet another forum member while we're there. If you've never been to Indian Cave State Park, it is really nice (though, autumn is when it's at it's peak).
TM: 2005 2720SL -- lift kit, 15" Maxxis, LEDs, Husky ejack, GenPro soft start, 2300W gen, "H-Bridge", 1.44 cf Edgestar frig/freezer, 2xGC2, 1KW Inverter w/auto xfer switch, Trimetric Batt Monitor, 300W Solar (1 glass & 2 flex panels), EP Solar MPPT, Thetford Curve
TV: 2021 F-150 PowerBoost XLT Hybrid -- 7.2 kW Onboard Generator Option
Previous TV: 2012 Traverse -- "Stockton" 24V Boost Device

Map of where we've camped in our TM:
http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/IAMNMONEsm.jpg
klpauba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:29 PM   #20
klpauba

I just received notice in an email that the Missouri NRD is opening up a reservation window form Nov 4 - Nov 25th for the 2017 Solar Eclipse -- normally, you can only reserve 6 months in advance.

From the email:
Quote:
On Aug, 21, 2017, a solar eclipse will be viewable throughout Missouri. In response to public interest, Missouri State Parks is allowing visitors to make plans to observe this major astronomical event in a state park. From Nov. 4-Nov. 25, guests will be able to make camping reservations for the weekend of the eclipse.

Camping reservations are typically available six months before the first night of a stay. This special reservation window will allow guests to begin planning their visits now.

Of the 42 state parks and historic sites that will be within the path of the total eclipse, 19 parks offer camping. These parks are Big Lake State Park, Lewis and Clark State Park, Weston Bend State Park, Watkins Mill State Park and State Historic Site, Wallace State Park, Knob Noster State Park, Van Meter State Park, Finger Lakes State Park, Arrow Rock State Historic Site, Graham Cave State Park, Robertsville State Park, Meramec State Park, Onondaga State Park, St. Joe State Park, Hawn State Park, St. Francois State Park, Washington State Park, Dr. Edmund A. Babler Memorial, and Trail of Tears State Park. Reservations for this event require a three-night stay from Aug. 18 through Aug. 21.

To make reservations, visit mostateparks.com or call 877-ICampMo (877-422-6766)
7 a.m. - 7 p.m. CT, seven days a week.
TM: 2005 2720SL -- lift kit, 15" Maxxis, LEDs, Husky ejack, GenPro soft start, 2300W gen, "H-Bridge", 1.44 cf Edgestar frig/freezer, 2xGC2, 1KW Inverter w/auto xfer switch, Trimetric Batt Monitor, 300W Solar (1 glass & 2 flex panels), EP Solar MPPT, Thetford Curve
TV: 2021 F-150 PowerBoost XLT Hybrid -- 7.2 kW Onboard Generator Option
Previous TV: 2012 Traverse -- "Stockton" 24V Boost Device

Map of where we've camped in our TM:
http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/IAMNMONEsm.jpg
klpauba is offline   Reply With Quote