TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #1
Stone859

Default Grey and Black Water Drain

Hello:

I have a Elkmont 24' and just this week we took our trailer on a fairly long camping trip. Somewhere just north of Dallas, traveling after dark on a smooth two lane road we heard a large thump like we had just run over a raccoon. We stopped looked the camper over and found nothing wrong. However, the next day at the camp site it noticed water coming out of the grey water tank...the valve had been completely broken off! Now, here are my questions:

1) Has anybody combined the grey and black water drains so you only have to hook up the drain one time when you go to dump? I know I've seen this modification on the Forum, but I've done searches and have not been able to find it. I thought since I have to replace the plumbing on the grey tank I might as well look into combining them.

2) I noted there was a very good post about going to a larger black water tank...how many people have done the switch, how happy have you been with it, and how hard was it to do? I think a larger black water tank would help us the way we camp.

3) What size plumbing/valve needs to be put on the grey water tank (any photos would help)? I have to ask this because all my grey water plumbing is lying off on the side of the road someplace and I really don't have a "go-by".

Just a side note...this trailer has a few quirks, and oddities, but it is by far the nicest travel trailers (besides a pop-up) that I've ever towed...and I've had a few over the years.

Thanks for your help.
Conrad
Old 10-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
bell
Site Sponsor

Default make them in to one

I had the same thing happen on mr 24 foot Elkmont. Use the 2 inch lift kit from Trailmanor and put a 3 vale drain like other trailers at the black water tank behind the tire.The gray water line will go over the axel. Call me if you have a ?.Cell 336-675-1491
Old 10-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
RobertMac

If you do this, you will not only violate health regulations for campers...

But you will have horrible smells coming out of your kitchen and bathroom sinks !

Black crud will form and begin eating the insides of TM out...
RobertMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:02 PM   #4
bell
Site Sponsor

Default No

You have a cut off on the gray water ,a cut off on the black water and acut off at the drain connection.You do not open the gray and black at same time. I also have a wash out on the black water tank
Old 11-15-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
Stone859

First of all thanks for your help. I think I have to agree with "bell" here mainly because if you look at almost all the RV out there they have one single drain. For example the Jayco we had for years only one hook-up when you when to the dump station. You attached the drain hose, pulled the black water drain and let it empty and did a couple of flushes to help clear the tank. Then you closed the black water drain and pulled the grey water drain and let it drain...closed it pulled, rinsed the hose and stored it. Now I don't know why Trailmanor does it the way they do...perhaps it's lighter or I suspect it is was probably easier (ie: cheaper) to do it with the two separate outlets. I know it is not as easy for the camper to take the drain hose and hook, unhook it twice.

Now a couple of questions about the way you do it "bell":

1) When you "lift" the trailer are you putting spacer between the frame and the axel? In a way I hate to do this...I'm afraid of raising the trailer because it is nice and low now and I think this low center of gravity help give it good towing qualities and lower wind resistance. We had a newer Outback and it was real high off the ground and it towed so bad we sold it.

2) As far as connecting the two tanks, when I look under my trailer it looks like I could do what you did (route the grey back to connect to the black) with out raising the frame. Just route the grey on top of the axel. The grey water drain wouldn't have much downward pitch but I think it might work. What do you think?

3) Do you have any photos? I think they would really help.

4) Did you go with the larger black water tank or did you keep the stock tank?

Again...thank you guys for your response and help.

Conrad
Old 11-18-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
bell
Site Sponsor

Default gray & black water

My trailer needed the 2 inch lift, yours may not.I did not change the tanks. Call me if you have questions. 336-675-1491
Old 11-24-2014, 06:03 AM   #7
Stone859

Just an update:

I repaired my trailer, and I sort of chickened-out and just put it back the way it was stock. One of the main reasons I'm going back to stock is because my wife and I are planning on going camping after the Holidays so I just wanted to get it done. However, I think I figured out why it broke in the first place, and this is what I found: Both my grey and black water valves were just attached to the frame using "pipe strap" (you know the strap with multiple holes) and was not very tight. Anyway, I found an Elkmont for sale and went to look at it, and guess what...on that trailer (see my photo...I hope it attached alright) Trailmanor used a rather rugged looking steel bracket and hose clamps...much stronger and more rigid than the "pipe strap". So, I used a couple of "L" brackets and tightly (no more flopping around) attached both the grey and black water drains to the trailer...bolting the brackets to the trailer then using a couple of large hose clamps, duplicating the way the factory did when they did right. Thanks for all your help and info.

Conrad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0484.JPG
Views:	1245
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	10968