TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-26-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
Philip

Default When Towing The TM Which Regulator Controls Battery Charging?

Hello Folks,

I am considering upgrading my batteries on my 2008, 2720 TM since I plan to do a lot of dry camping. The problem is that any really good deep cycle battery, either Gell or AGM, requires a fairly precise charging procedure. The required procedure calls for a three step charging regimen(bulk, absorbtion and float) all with fairly precise voltage levels. Fortunately, my TM came with a three step charger which is used when plugged into 110V AC. This regulation may be adequate for an AGM battery but unfortunately will not meet a Gell batteries charging requirements. I have extensive experience with Gell batteries and am convinced they are more durable and less maintenance than AGM's but alas they need a special regulator. AGM's are still a vast improvement over other deep cycle batteries and they may be able to live with my TM regulator so I will have to go with them.

I know I am going on too long here but I need to know if while towing the TM does the TV alternator use it's internal regulator to charge the TM batteries or does the TV alternator output get regulated by the TM regulator?

If the TV alternator regulator controls charging I will not be able to use the AGM batteries since an automobile regulator is not acceptable. Yes I could install a proper external regulator on my TV but this is a costly project with many complications that I am not sure I want to get involved with. My TV is a 2005 Toyota 4Runner, V8 with a factory tow package(which comes with an upgraded alternator).

Any help would be appreciated,

Phil Friess
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote