TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #11
TexasCamper

Default Make reservations early!

Don't forget to make your reservations early! Two months ago we tried to make a reservation during our March spring break. No more room for us.
TV#1: 2008 Chrysler Town & Country (3.8L Touring w/ tow package, WDH) (*retired 2018*)
TV#2: 2015 Nissan Pathfinder (w/ tow package, WDH)
TV#3: 2018 Ford F150 (w/ tow package, WDH)
TexasCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:04 AM   #12
marshel308

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCamper View Post
Don't forget to make your reservations early! Two months ago we tried to make a reservation during our March spring break. No more room for us.
Have you tried reserving a block of days longer then what you needed as I suggested earlier, you can then call back and cancel the days you don't need (this is a common practice employed by Fort Wilderness veterans).
You can also try calling back later and seeing if there is availablility, they get cancellations all the time, cancellations get put back into the system at 7:00 am est, so try calling then. Also try online if you can't get a phone reservation and vice versa, the Fort Wilderness specifically and Disney World in general reservation system seems to work in mysterious ways.

" Is that more of a Spring Break or Christmas thing or has anyone done it in the summer?"

I've been there in July, be prepared to get to the parks early and then leave and take a break in the late morning/afternoon and then go back at night when the crowds die down. It's hot and crowded, but the parks are open late and they do the fireworks show and parades every night during the summer months.
marshel308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:05 PM   #13
br2_wdc

Default How was Fort Wilderness Campground at Walt Disney World?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMkev10 View Post
We (myself and 13yo daughter) are booked for this coming April school vacation. Been to Disney many times but never at the campground, just got the TM last year and really loving it. Did most of the new england states last season, missed VT. Really looking forward to the Disney trip.
Good Evening Kevin:
I realize your post is 4-5 years old, but I didn't see a follow-up on how your trip went, so this post is a follow-up to you or anyone else fortunate enough to have gone.

We have reservations to go this spring to Fort Wilderness campground at Walt Disney World, and I wanted to know what your experience was like? How was your campsite? And I am curious if you felt you needed to have bikes or golf cart to get around the campsite since it's so big? Any other tips or suggestions are welcome ... and from anyone else who has been to Ft. Wilderness would be great.
br2_wdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:41 PM   #14
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

We stayed there years ago when we had a class C and daughter in grade school. Used the shuttles to get around. Back then it was expensive even for FL residents; worse now from what I here. Site was nice.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:56 PM   #15
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

We went for a week last fall. Loved the overall experience. Sites were large and nice with decent privacy . We did get a golf cart, while expensive I would get a cart again. For us it was worth it, one of those bucket list things. We have never had a cart anywhere prior, and I don't golf so it was a new experience .
The campground is huge, too get around it is wait on a bus or go to the restaurants by cart, we also used the cart to catch the ferry , swimming pool etc.
it saves time but costs money, your choice.

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:53 AM   #16
TMkev10

Quote:
Originally Posted by br2_wdc View Post
Good Evening Kevin:
I realize your post is 4-5 years old, but I didn't see a follow-up on how your trip went, so this post is a follow-up to you or anyone else fortunate enough to have gone.

We have reservations to go this spring to Fort Wilderness campground at Walt Disney World, and I wanted to know what your experience was like? How was your campsite? And I am curious if you felt you needed to have bikes or golf cart to get around the campsite since it's so big? Any other tips or suggestions are welcome ... and from anyone else who has been to Ft. Wilderness would be great.
Ben, responded (correctly I hope) to your PM. If you think it will help others feel free to post it here.

2011, 2720
2011 GMC Acadia AWD
TMkev10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:47 PM   #17
br2_wdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMkev10 View Post
Ben, responded (correctly I hope) to your PM. If you think it will help others feel free to post it here.
Yes Kevin thanks to you and the others for responding. It appears we have a split vote in terms of the need for a golf cart, and it's helpful to get your feedback. With 2 smaller kids it may make sense, but I haven't made a final decision. It does sound like it's a great campground and the kids will have a good time, which is really what matters!
br2_wdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:24 AM   #18
dr carver
Site Sponsor

Ben,

My Darling Bride and I have been several times. We are natives of Florida. Sometimes we go and don't even go into any of the Theme Parks. At times we hop the bus/monorail/ferry boat and visit the different resorts.

As has been noted, it is a bit pricey, but the amenities are top-notch. The campground is huge so bicycles (or a cart) are handy to get around. I personally prefer bicycles, but your family may not. Buses run nearly continuously.

The campsites closer to the entrance are usually a little quieter and less traveled. They seemed to me to be a little more spread out as well.

The sites nearer the middle (I think they called the area the Trading Post) are closer to the pool, Bike Barn, a store, the Campfire and movie area and such. WIFI is available nearer to the buildings.

The sites toward the back are closer to the restaurants, boat landing, pony rides, horse stables, and such. There is also a small store in the area. WIFI is available nearer the buildings there as well.

When making a reservation, you can request an area. Sometimes if they are not crowded, you can call and request to change sites if you get there and see one you like better than the one assigned. There is a park map online that you can use to get a general feel for where you may like to set up.

Anyway, enjoy! I hope you guys have a GREAT time!
TV - 2011 Ford Expedition w/towing package

dr carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:04 AM   #19
HIKERZ
TrailManor Master

They actually discourage people driving their vehicles around. The transportation system is good but we still take bikes. The area is clean(typical Disney). Restrooms are heated in winter and cooled in summer. Ice makers at the restrooms too.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:40 AM   #20
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Smile Blog look up

Quote:
Originally Posted by br2_wdc View Post
Good Evening Kevin:

There is a blog on the internet called "The long Long Honeymoon". It's by a couple that bought an Airstream and traveled all over the USA to various places...Ft. Wilderness being one of them. It's a pretty good blog. Although it's not about TM's specifically, they do offer some great advice. Worth taking a look.
TC
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote