TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
S_&_L_Family_Camping
Site Sponsor

Default Bad Refrigerator - now what?

FellowTM'ers,

I have just talked with Art's about our, new to us, 94 3023. I am dismayed to learn that the refer cooling unit needs to be replaced at a whopping $900! A new refigerator is about $1100 thus the debate, new or fix whats there. I did do a search on "bad or broken refrigerators" and didn't really find anything that was very helpful. Any advice would be appreciated.

Since the "turnaround" inspection only cost us about $300, I asked them to do some other simple but time consuming repairs. They found some bad or rotted area's of wood used to connect the vinyl seal on the upper and lower shells to the box. I decided to have them replace the wood and or vinly before I brought it home for my DW and children to see. I also asked them to replace any wood trim that is used to connect vinyl flap to the walls because I noticed some of the wood there was also rotted (it sat in a Chicago driveway closed for 7 years). I am going to try to attatch a pic or two of the damage if I can.

Other than a few pieces of rotted wood and the refer, they were amazed at what good shape it was in. After they are done with the repair, I will head out to Chicago to bring our new camper home. Our family can't wait to get our new trialer set up in the driveway and put some elbow grease into cleaning it up for its maiden voyage. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again,

S & L
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	07310001.JPG
Views:	386
Size:	721.2 KB
ID:	2119   Click image for larger version

Name:	07310002.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	745.3 KB
ID:	2120  
S_&_L_Family_Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
sharoden

If the 200.00 is not a killer for you go with new rather than old on a repair on a 13 year old TM.

Isn't Art's great, there about 5 miles from us. Going to have them do same inspection and minor repairs on our used 3326, we couldn't wait and have been using it all summer.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I'd go with a new one. It should come with a full warranty.

Upon edit: this might be worth checking into: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...eap-16177.html
Old 08-13-2007, 08:34 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

That price seems way too high. A quick Google search turns up the new Norcold N300 (the one that is installed in the new TMs) for $800 or less. Of course, you have to install it yourself, but if you are at all handy, it ain't that big a deal. And the Palomino site that B&D cited sounds even better.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:13 PM   #5
S_&_L_Family_Camping
Site Sponsor

Default New vs. Old

Well, new it is then. I think your right, I should just install it myself. Now I just have to make sure they are the same size. I will have them measure the old unit for me tomorrow. Thanks for the link B & D adn the advice all,

S & L
Old 08-14-2007, 02:47 PM   #6
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
... a new Norcold N300 (the one that is installed in the new TMs) for $800 or less.
I, too, would recommend new over repairing a unit that is at least 13 years old. The technology improvements are well worth the upgrade, just as in buying a new appliance for your house after the old one reaches 10+ years of service.

My search on www.rvdealership.com/rvdstore shows the Norcold N300 as: REFER,2.7 CU FT 2 WAY 29 3/4" X 20 1/2" X 21 3/8", Price: $803.83, plus shipping. This is not a 3-way unit as was installed in the older TMs. Perhaps that doesn't concern you. Note the dimensions of the N300.

I've successfully used this website dealer to buy some small items, nothing as expensive as a refrigerator, and found them to be reliable, prompt and communicative.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:33 PM   #7
PopBeavers

I thought that the model fridge in my TM was the N300. It certainly is 3 way.

Paper work is at home so I can't look at it.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:01 PM   #8
S_&_L_Family_Camping
Site Sponsor

I believe they have both a 2-way and a 3-way fridge. When I was looking at a salvage site they listed two for the the N300 model.

Art's called and said they could get the new unit for $800 - installed $900. It doesn't sound like such a bad deal, but I could install it and save myself about $100-$200 bucks. Then again, the shipping might take up that hundy eh. What to do... What to do... LOL Will have a discussion with the DW tonight to see what she says. Dan said everything else was in working order, so after the wood rehab and the refer, we should almost be road ready. I will have to get tires, brakes, and bearings done before I leave Chicago (it sat for 7 years in a driveway). Then a little elbow grease to clean and spiff it up and we are off!!!