TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
Bluegrass

Default Lamoille Canyon Nevada

I've written previously about discovering this garden spot in the Ruby Mountains 20 minutes south of Elko. This June, we actually camped there for three nights. The campground is called Thomas Canyon after one of the side canyons. It is at 7500 feet but the road is a gentle grade and very good. Dry camping with pit toilets. There is a dump station at the Shell station in Elko.

There are lots of trails in this area, most leading to alpine lakes at 9000 feet or higher. But the hikes are not all that strenuous if you take your time. Be sure to carry water and stay hydrated.

I posted 11 pictures from this trip. On one of the hikes we passed a beaver dam that must have been 100 yards across. Biggest thing I've ever seen.

Lots of water falls and the flowers were just starting to bloom. This was late June.

I think I mentioned that we were surprised to see another TM in the campground when we arrived. It was owned by a couple from Colorado Springs who used to live in Nevada and were there with extended family.

Hope some of you are able to enjoy this hidden gem as much as we do.

Keith
Old 08-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
moaboy

Beautiful!
How cold did it get at night?
Old 08-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
Bluegrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaboy View Post
Beautiful!
How cold did it get at night?
Low 50's. Daytime high temp was high 70's.

Wish I was there now! It's been in the high 90's for what seems like forever here in Utah. Yeah, I know. It's a DRY heat. But so is the heat in my oven.

Keith
Old 08-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Looks like a nice place to camp, and what a suprise to find a place like that around Elko. We don't get by there too often, when my grampa was alive my mom used to drive us to Idaho to visit him, and the last time we were there was when we drove to Idaho to look at a TM for sale in 2003. We didn't buy it, but the trip back led to us finding a good used one in Oregon.

Hopefully we'll be able to retire at some point and put it on our list of places to check out.

Nice pictures!