TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
loolindsay

Default Camping SF Bay Area, CA

I know there are some of you who live in cities very close to us (Fremont) and was wondering if you could suggest campgrounds to check out that aren't more than 2 hours away.
We did Sugar Barge (delta) on our shakedown trip. Nice place to 'get acquainted' with the TM, has all the hook-ups, and LOTS of RV's - we were one of few trailers.
Have also done Brannan Island, only water hook-up and Del Valle which has water and sewer (at limited sites).
Having hook-ups isn't a requirement, especially for a weekend - but nice to have (as I'm sure you all would agree!).
Old 05-19-2006, 07:06 PM   #2
PopBeavers

We got our TM in March 2005. We have been to the following places, from San Jose.

Lake Nacimiento
Pinecrest Lake
Yuba Gap (I80 and Hiway 20)
Lake Almanor
Groveland (Yosemite)
Columbia
Morro Bay State Park

These don't quite fall into the 2 hour category, but they are close enough that if we leave the office by 3 pm Friday then I can have camp set up before dark.

Pinecrest Lake and Lake Nacimiento would be pretty good choices if you have kids that like the lake, because paddle boats etc. are available for rent.

Yosemite is, well, Yosemite. I can't add much to that. We stayed at a private rv park with full hookups off season and had a great time.

Columbia is a museum/ghost town that is pretty interesting to visit. marble quarry RV park is walking distance to the museum district.

Morro Bay state park would be really good for a golfer, because the golf course is adjacent to the campground. I don't golf, so I can not comment about the course.

If you just want to get away for the weekend to hang out away from home and enjoy some solitude I would suggest the following as being very close to us:

Grant Ranch, east side of San Jose. I hear it is really nice when the wild flowers are blooming. Also good for bike riding. Very popular for star gazers because it is behind the hill which obscures the city lights.

Big Basin State Park. Henry Cowell is just around the corner from it. Close to Santa Cruz. Take a hike to the waterfall.

Portola Park, just west of Stanford on the other side of skyline. Very dense redwood forest.

Pfeiffer Big Sur state park. We really like it around Christmas time because it is nearly empty. This time of year would require reservations. Plan on a dinner at Rocky Point Restaurant just south of Carmel. The cliff view of the ocean is gorgeous.

New Hogan resevoir east of Stockton is a nice lake. I was there in 1998 with a dozen teen agers and tents.

I have always wanted to go to Lake McClure, just south of Don Pedro. I haven't been there, yet.

There are probably a few nice places around Gurneville at the Russian River that are worth looking into. My aunt an uncle lived there from 1961 until recently so I have never camped there. Take a look at Armstrong Redwoods state park.

Bodega bay looks pretty nice. My brother lives in Petaluma, so I have little reason to go camping just a few miles from his house.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:54 PM   #3
loolindsay

All great suggestions! I especially like the Yosemite tip. We're planning a trip to Yosemite for Christmas with TM of course and need to start thinking of reservations. Originally were planning on staying in the campground, but may reconsider now.
Thanks for your input! Always nice to hear of others ideas.

Abbie
Old 05-20-2006, 04:58 PM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We've stayed at Cassini Ranch on the Russian River, it was nice (but it was in our tent days), recently stayed at Olema Ranch near Pt. Reyes (fun area to explore), and have enjoyed staying at Big Sur Campground & Cabins. We like New Brighton (Capitola), too, but haven't camped there since our tent days. If you can get into Seacliff (Aptos) it's a great location, right on the ocean. We also like Clear Lake State Park, but haven't been there since our cabover camper days. You might also check out Mt. Madonna (between Gilroy & Watsonville at the top of the mountain) and Sunset State Beach in Santa Cruz. Gazos Creek (up the coast from Santa Cruz) was a favorite in our tent days; not sure about trailer length. There is also a campground called Memorial Park in San Mateo County that has a nice, woodsy setting. We've driven through there but never stayed. Also have camped at Pi Pi in the Sierras, Pinecrest Lake too. Both nice places to stay. As mentioned earlier, Columbia is a fun place to stay too; we didn't stay at Marble Quarry but at the 49er RV Ranch. Sites were kind of small, but nice people. If money is no object, the KOA in Santa Cruz is in a nice location, but about 1/2 mile from the beach. Pinto Lake Campground in Watsonville is much more affordable, but inland a ways. No swimming, but there is fishing and boating.

We have purchased 3 or 4 editions of Foghorn Press' "California Camping" by Tom Stineistra (sp?) over the years. It's a great resource for us. You can get it off of Amazon.com. There's also a California Recreation Lakes book (I think also by Foghorn Press) that we also have.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:28 PM   #5
CAmark
Site Sponsor

Francis Beach at Half Moon Bay is nice but no hookups. We have stayed at 49er RV Ranch in Columbia as well -- nice, but we intend to try the Marble Quarry next time. The in-laws brag on a nice place in Atascadero (one long hill and a bit short of Morro Bay) but I have never been there.
or 04 Pilot w/ Tow Package
Prodigy Brake Controller; Husky 800/1200 WDH; McKesh Mirrors
2006 2720SL; A/C; awning; swing hitch; 14" NEXEN Load Range D tires
CAmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 11:44 PM   #6
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D
We've stayed at Cassini Ranch on the Russian River, it was nice (but it was in our tent days), recently stayed at Olema Ranch near Pt. Reyes (fun area to explore)
In addition to these in the West Marin and Sonoma County area, you may want to try Samuel P. Taylor State Park. It is a quiet, beautiful park along side a meadering creek. It has a 10 mile paved bike path for family use as well as many hiking trails. Of course, as a state park, it has no hook ups, but we enjoyed it in our TM many years ago, as well as tent trailers before that.

SPT is located west of San Rafael and is about 90 minutes from your home in Fremont.

By the way, Lake Almanor (as Wayne suggested) is a very nice destination, but about a 6-hour trip for you pulling a trailer. We LOVE it, however, and would love to have you become aquainted with our part of California. (We are former Marin and San Jose residents)
Old 05-22-2006, 11:11 AM   #7
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Heuvelhorst
Of course, as a state park, it has no hook ups, but we enjoyed it in our TM many years ago, as well as tent trailers before that.
Paul,

Some California State Parks do have hookups. I was at Morro Bay State Park a few weeks ago. The first three rows have full hookups.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:06 PM   #8
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

I have heard that Mt. Madonna is very nice too. I am preferencial to the Redwoods, so I like the Santa Cruz area (in B & D's backyard). We will be at Cotillion Gardens this coming holiday weekend while I play Civil War at Roaring Camp.

There are so many places within 2 hours of Fremont...which is right near us, we are at the San Jose, Milpitas border.
2016 KZ Spree Connect C250BHS
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:38 PM   #9
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers
Some California State Parks do have hookups. I was at Morro Bay State Park a few weeks ago. The first three rows have full hookups.
Wayne,
I'm familiar with Morro Bay State Park's hookups (20 amp) and am aware of one other park in California with 3 hookup spots. However, hookups in California State Parks are a rare exception rather than the rule, unless you want to be a camp host.

I wish California had been proactive in developing its parks similar to the way Oregon has equipped its parks. The hookups in Oregon parks is a nice benefit and most of them are 30 amp with a few furnishing 50 amp.

Always nice to hear about California Parks that provide more than water stations every 2-3 spaces apart.

Thanks,