TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-22-2002, 11:31 AM   #1

Default new tm owners

hi everyone, have enjoyed your site, we have been reading all the information we could on tm so we decided to buy one. we found a 2001 at dealer and have had it for a month went camping one time so far and had a great time, had small water leak to get fixed and noise on front section when closingbut dealer fixed both items. my question is i was a little hesitate in buying because i own 1989 ford f-150 with 4.9L 300-six eng with 3.08 rear end with 5 speed manual overdrive trans. dealer said this would be no problem towing with this combination. any comments on this? seems to tow ok just alittle skeptical i guess . thanks in advance we have model 3023!                              emma
Old 04-22-2002, 05:13 PM   #2
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Default Re: new tm owners

Welcome to the site and TM ownership, EMMA.  Like the other TM owners on this site you will enjoy your ownership.  You didn't mention the model number of your TM, so answering your question about the adequacy of your F150 is generic.

TM's, for the most part, weigh less than 3500 lbs. loaded and ready to tow, after you put your stuff in it and fill the fresh water tank.  Our 1998 2619 weighed 3100 in 'travel mode.'

Your F150 should be able to handle that, but be prepared to stay in the right hand lane when you climb mountain grades... you may not be able to maintain 40-45 mph if the grade is 6% or greater.

Enjoy your new toy.
Old 05-06-2002, 08:11 AM   #3
KB7OUR

Default Running AC Appliances

After reading about some issues with the Magnetek coverter provided with the TMs, I have a very simple question. Can you plug in an AC TV, radios, and other electrical gadgets or do I need to buy some kind of line filter or even upgrade the converter to a better model to use AC devices? Does the answer vary if you are dry docked vs not?

Wade

Still waiting on our new 2720SL
Old 05-06-2002, 10:16 AM   #4

If you plug into the 12v receptacle as provided then you will get on a 12v circuit conditioned by the battery and its low interference charging circuit.
Old 05-06-2002, 10:34 AM   #5

Well, I have to reply to my own reply.  My wife says that only an electrical engineer would understand my last post.

Yes, you can plug in a TV or a radio to the 12v plug without the need for any line filters.  This doesn't change whether you're dry docked or hooked up.  Of course most TVs and radios can be hooked up directly to A/C.

I hope this is clear.
Old 05-06-2002, 12:21 PM   #6
KB7OUR

I am trying to determine if there is any need to purchase a TV with a DC converter since they cost more. I think I understand that I can simply use the AC plug whether dry docked or not without any problem and therefore do not need a AC/DC TV.

Wade
Old 05-06-2002, 01:11 PM   #7

Wade,

Your assumption about using your AC/DC TV is incorrect.  The TM's CONverter distributes the 12V DC (produced by itself or the 12V "house" battery), and when connected to 110 VAC, it produces the 12V DC and charges the house battery.  It is not capable of producing 110 VAC power.  (INverters, a separate third party device, do that.)  

If you want to watch TV when dry docking, you will need a AC/DC TV so you can power it with 12V DC, (none of the campers 110VAC receptacles will be "live&quot, or an INverter plugged into one of the 12V sockets, sufficiently sized to power a 110VAC TV.

Sure hope I dodn't confuse you too much!    :P
Old 05-06-2002, 02:33 PM   #8
KB7OUR

Thanks, RickS. I do think I understand now. When you refer to a 12v receptacle in the TM, do you mean one of the cigarette lighter socket variety?

Wade
Old 05-06-2002, 10:18 PM   #9

Yes Wade,

That is correct.  The "standard" 12V DC receptacle is the cigarette lighter.  The TM comes standard with one by the refrigerator for a TV.  I've added two more lighter sockets to my unit to power 12V oscillating fans that we can use in each bedroom area.  I chose the 12V fans so we could use them when dry docking.

Happy Camping !
Old 05-07-2002, 02:38 AM   #10
Larry_Loo

Wade,
In a previous message on a different thread I mentioned that Sears was selling 13" Sylvania color TVs with VCR and dual AC/DC voltage capability for $199.95. This price is $115 less than Camping World's discounted price. We bought one and it turned out to be an excellent TV. The last time that I walked through our Sears store, about 2 weeks ago, they were still selling the 13" TVs. You may want to look for it in your local Sears store. :