TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2017, 04:41 PM   #1
JAPetal

Default 2720 battery type

I'm picking up a 2008 2720 next week and both batteries are dead. I do not know if they are the original batteries, and from the TM website link to the owner's manual, there is no reference to what type of batteries are supposed to be installed.

If anybody knows what type was recommended by the factory, I'd really appreciate the help.

John
JAPetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:30 PM   #2
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

I suggest you get two GC2 batteries. They are cheap and copious and a very common choice.

I would suggest you avoid AGMs as house batteries, they are supposed to never need water but they lose some during charging or harsh use and there is no way to put it back. I also very strongly suggest that you install a master battery switch if there isn't already one, and that you get a battery protector like the one at this link.

I guarantee you that you will leave that master switch on sometime and the batteries will run flat, if you don't have the protector. If they work at all after that they are never the same.

This is what sealed batteries were originally meant for. The acid would not run out while the car was vertical. Of course lots of people want maintenance-free batteries.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vert_A_Pac(2).jpg
Views:	420
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	16361  
Old 12-01-2017, 06:54 PM   #3
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I don't think TM ever installed batteries. It was left to the dealers.

If the batteries are dead they are most likely shot. Most RV batteries have a one year warranty. There should be a date code on the batteries.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:42 PM   #4
JAPetal

Default battery info

Thank you for the information. The batteries don't have the date they were purchased or first installed on them Usually, it's done by removing the appropriate stickers, but not on these guys. They are Interstate GC2 6 volt batteries linked in series to provide 12 volts to the trailer.

I'm going to test them with the TM set up in the driveway before we take our first trip. I should be able to use my multi-meter to determine the rate at which it loses it's charge. I don't yet know what is considered normal with this trailer, so I'll be doing some learning.
JAPetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:50 AM   #5
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Well mine had the recess cut for a GRP27 in the rear compartment. I added shelving to mount two GC2s which fit exactly.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:50 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAPetal View Post
... from the TM website link to the owner's manual, there is no reference to what type of batteries are supposed to be installed.
If anybody knows what type was recommended by the factory, I'd really appreciate the help.
As noted by tentcamper and others, there is no "supposed to be" and no "recommended by the factory". The factory left it to the dealer, and most of the time, the dealer made the cheapest choice possible - a Group 24 battery from Interstate Battery. Available most anywhere. A few dealers installed a Group 27 battery, slightly larger, and again from Interstate. But I don't recall any dealer going further than that for a default installation. By the way, "Group" is battery-speak for "size".

These batteries are quite adequate to the needs of most TMers, and weren't a bad choice. TMers who planned to do a lot of boondocking could ask the dealer for a bigger/better battery (or battery pair), paying for the upgrade of course. Or they could upgrade the battery themselves. A common upgrade, as Bruce and Padgett point out, is a pair of 6-volt golf-cart batteries such as GC2. Batteries with even higher capacity (and higher cost) are available, of course, for those who take their boondocking really seriously. But if you plan to spend every night in a campground with an electric hookup, there is no point in spending the extra money.

If you are planning to install a common 12-violt battery, you should look for one that is called a "deep cycle" battery. This is not the same as "deep cycle/marine" battery, by the way. There are a number of threads here on the forum where this is discussed - the Search tool will bring them up.

Enjoy your "new to you" TM.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:48 PM   #7
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

We have had 2 - 12v group 31 batteries on different campers, which gave us about 210 amps. I like this method rather than the 6V GC batteries because if one die,s I can limp along with one.

Planning to add a second group 31 battery this year because of or camping plans for the year.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:52 AM   #8
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Have had grp31 ATMs in RVs before and excellent battery but
- is heavier than a GC2
- one grp31 costs about the same as two GC2s
- two GC2s exactly fit side by side against the street side wall in my rear compartment.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:13 AM   #9
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I get my flooded cell g-31 for about $100. You must be think of the AGM G-31 at about $170 at sams
Old 01-05-2018, 07:47 PM   #10
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Yes, have bought a couple of the Grp31 AGMs at Sam's. Drove a GMC motor home with 455 Olds to northern Arkansas without a functioning alternator (drive during the day, charge in motel at night...)

Nice thing about a GC2, can get near a quart down and plates are not exposed. Has a big resovoir.

Tags
2720, batteries, battery, trailmanor