TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-07-2003, 07:44 AM   #1
ryanra

Default Bed Support in 2720SL

Am I right in saying that the only thing that keeps the bed from falling out is that latch by the bathroom wall?  

Is that safe?  Does it ever fail?  Does anyone ever add another point of support?  If so, what do you add?

Thanks,
TNcamper
???
Old 04-07-2003, 10:26 AM   #2
Chris_Bauer

Default Re: Bed Support in 2720SL

Wierd isn't it that the only thing that holds that in place is that pin.  Well, from my experience with the 2720SL it never failed.  In fact, before I sold it, I attempted to lift up the bed from inside, not only was it difficult but I broke one of the plastic bed glides.    Easy fix with the part that Jimmy sent me.

Once we didn't engage the pin.  We didn't fall out.

Chris
Old 04-07-2003, 11:25 AM   #3

What latch ??!!! I'm a newbie and certainly wouldn't want to forget to secure such important device!! I know the latches on the outside that prevent it from sliding in, but the way I saw the bed, it it was pretty well set on a frame, how exactly do you figure it could fall out??? I thought that latch inside by the bathroom was just to hold the bathroom wall straight, its punny... Is there another latch I am not aware off??  
Old 04-07-2003, 12:26 PM   #4
Gene

<quote>I thought that latch inside by the bathroom was just to hold the bathroom wall straight, its punny... Is there another latch I am not aware off?? </quote>

That latch is there as an extra precaution so the the bed will not to fall out. Chances of  the bed falling out are slim.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:45 PM   #5
cardsfan39

I understand the latch is there to allow the bed to  be used as an escape hatch in case of an emergency.  If you undo the latch you can raise the platform and escape.  You could fall out if the latch is not engaged and you lay on the bed just right.  For models with a front bed there are 2 latches which serve the same purpose.

The latch is very secure.  We are 2 heavyweights that use our queen size bed and it has never been a problem.  It is very securely attached.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:01 AM   #6
arknoah

And I would argue  you would never want to sleep on either bed without the supports in place, regardless of how strong they are.  I fell through the front bed one day when I forgot to put in those locking pins and it was pretty scary.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:34 AM   #7
hal

The latches perform a few things.  First of all, they are there so that in emergency, you can release them and raise your bed to get out of your trailer.  They also prevent furry headed creatures from pushing their way into your trailer.  Knowing how these intruders like toothpaste, I wouldn't want to wake up with one of them kissing me on the lips.  The front bed will definitely dump you out (onto the bottles and tongue) if you get on it without the pins being set in a locked position.  I know of someone that this happend to and it was painful.  The rear bed doesn't seem to be as apt to dump you.  But if there were kids jumping on it, it just might do so.  It is better to be safe than sore (or is it sorry?)

Hal
Old 04-21-2003, 07:15 AM   #8
oilspot

My bed latch was loose, when we bought the trailer and fell off a few months ago (last fall I guess).

I kept reading those emergency exit instructions and could never figure out how to move the bed to facilitate emergency exit.

Well this weekend I figured it out and was able to lift the bed up enough to see outside, while standing on the floor by the bathroom wall.  Wouldn't be easy, but I guess I could get my wife and pets outside in an emergency.

I could not see how the bed could fall out, or dump someone, on my 2720SL setup.  First, the support arms are in a track supporting the rearward side.  Second, the front is supported by the rear structure of the lower shell.  Pretty much the same as a pop-up trailer bed.  Other trailers might be different, but I would make sure the latches are the only thing between you and the ground, cause they aren't fastened into much...

However, I will try and get the latch installed again for security reasons.  Nobody likes uninvited guests (human or otherwise).
Old 04-21-2003, 11:34 AM   #9
Gene

I once heard Bill Hulsey, the TM inventor, state that the bed supports were tested to hold up to 1250 lbs!