TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-13-2006, 04:55 PM   #1
Michael

Lightbulb 4Runner Prodigy Install

Thought I would share my install location for my Prodigy brake controller in my 2006 4Runner. Mounted to the fuse panel door as it is replaceable. Routing cable through finger hole on panel. Can't say enough good things about Southwest Wheel Company. www.southwestwheel.com We pick up our new TM this Saturday. Ordered the Prodigy on Tuesday and received it on Thursday. $80 less expensive than my dealer with install. And that is with FedEx 2nd day and custom wiring harness included!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prodigy Install 2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	1317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prodigy Install 3.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1318  
Old 07-13-2006, 07:35 PM   #2
Larry_Loo

Thumbs up Clean looking installation

Michael, that is a very clean looking installation - much cleaner looking than mine! When I installed the Valley Odyssey controller in my "new" (used Dodge Ram 1500) truck, I utilized the factory-supplied wire bundle designed for connection to a brake controller. I had to solder one end to the controller and plug the other end into a mating plug buried down deep under the instrument panel (plugging it in was the hardest part of the installation). I therefore have an unsightly (sort of) pigtail snaking from the controller down into the underside of the dashboard.

By the way, my temporary velcro mounting did not last too long. After about a week, the controller fell off when the adhesive backing of the velcro gave way. I then mounted it permanently in nearly the same position with two small sheet metal screws. In its present location the controller is a knee knocker, but, I usually remember to lower and retract to the rear my driver's seat when I get out of the truck. When I forget to do this, however, I hit my left knee on the controller just about every time I get back into the truck. When this happens, I'm reminded of the senility that's a byproduct of my age. ;<)
Old 07-14-2006, 12:11 PM   #3
Michael

Thank you!! The included custom harness from Southwest Wheel and the dvd supplied with the Prodigy controller made the installation a breeze. Of course it also helped that the vehicle that Tekonsha used in the video was a late model 4Runner like mine!! One "wake up" away from picking up our first Trailmanor (or RV for that fact). Very excited!!
Old 07-14-2006, 01:03 PM   #4
camp2canoe

Default Walk through video

Leon: Video taping the walk through - what a clever idea! On our first few weekends with our TM I would have happily paid $100 for such a video. - Camp2Canoe
Old 07-14-2006, 02:00 PM   #5
Bill & Lisa

Remember what we have found to be a GOLDEN RULE - YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO FORCE ANYTHING Physically! If it doesn't move smoothly there is probably a good reason - stop and look for it!

Bill
Old 07-14-2006, 03:25 PM   #6
Michael

Thank you all! Leon, video taping the walk-though? What a GREAT idea!! We had planned on doing the setup/take-down in our driveway until we were comfortable with all the systems. And some of the neighbors I've spoken with about our pending arrival want to participate in the setup/takedown too. Who knows, maybe a few more TMs in our area!!
Old 07-15-2006, 11:09 PM   #7
Michael

Picked up the TM today!! Hour and a half drive home and it was rock solid with the EAZ-Lift and Prodigy. Even with some VERY heavy I-5 traffic. As soon as we arrived home we immediately did a setup and takedown and another setup. (chocks in place first) Although we do not have the cabinet over the stove, the salesperson said that it latches to the over-the-sink cabinet to save floor space for "other stuff". Looking forward now to the first camping trip!!
Old 07-16-2006, 11:38 PM   #8
Michael

Thumbs up

IT FITS!!! (with room to spare)
Old 07-26-2006, 08:08 AM   #9
WildWG
Site Sponsor

Am waiting for delivery of a Prodigy for our 2005 4Runner; can't believe the appropriateness of your post.

Love the B-17!
WildWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:19 AM   #10
jimgolf96

Default Fellow 4-Runner owner

Hi Michael:
I am new to pulling a travel trailer (my experience driving a big rig 30 years ago does not help much) and was wondering what you had to do to get 2006 4-Runner ready to tow (in addition to tow mirrors).

My 4-runner came with a brake controller harness and manual says there is "service connector" for towing brake controller somewhere behind the dash on far right (driver's) side of car. Did you have this also? Is there anything else needed? How does it hook up?

You mention "1K EAZ lift". Is that a way to raise rear end? Is that necessary? Manual seems to imply that under 500lb tongue weight and under 5000lb total then weight distributing hitch and the like are not needed. I say "imply" because the manual is silent re WDH in discussing these weight limitations, but says towing up tp 7300lbs with the V8 requires a WDH. Am I mistaken? If so, what is a good way to go?
THANKS for any and all advice you (and/or others) can give.
Jim