TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2017, 04:43 PM   #1
Subman

Default Going to look at a 2619

Let me start off by saying we have been intrigued by TM for several years. My wife found one for sale near by and we are thinking of taking a look at it. It's a 1997 model 2619. What should we look out for when we check it out? Also the place that has it says it doesn't have AC but in the pics it looks like a window unit is next to the stove. Was this an optional location? Also my tow vehicle, which is a full size truck, has a max towing cap of 3300 lbs. Will I be able to tow this unit without any trouble? The price on this one is also real reasonable, about the same as a popular of the Same age.
Sorry about all the ?s but I want to besure what to look for.
Thanks,
Mark
Subman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:21 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Mark -

At that time, the standard location for the air conditioner was in a kitchen cabinet, venting out through the sidewall. The A/C was moved up to the roof several years later. In 1997 they used a standard household air conditioner, so even if you have to (or choose to) replace it, it is not expensive. There are a couple threads on this Board about how to do it, but I don't recall that it was hard.

I'm a bit hesitant about your 3300-pound-rated truck. The good news is that in 1997, the trailers were a good deal lighter than they are today (so was I!) The dry weight then was 2270 pounds - by 2012, it was up to 2673 pounds. With a dry weight of 2270 pounds, the loaded and ready-to-camp weight was probably around 2800 pounds, so you would be within your vehicle's limits. We have a few members who tow today's TMs with 3500-pound-rated vehicles, and they report that it works, especially if they load lightly. Depends a good deal on how you load, and whether you plan to tow in mountainous terrain.

The other weight-related item is the tires. In 1997, the 2619 had 13-inch wheels, which would not carry today's weight. Today, Goodyear offers an ST185/80R13 Marathon tire (the brand/model used for today's 14" and 15" tires in current production). These tires are rated at 1480 pounds each, or a total capacity of 2960 pounds. So you would not be over the limit here, either, especially if you pack lightly.

As you look the unit over, you will of course check the appliances to be sure they work (refrig is the big one). Perhaps surprisingly, the 1997 model was equipped very much like today's trailers, so there is no big weight change there. Check the date code on the tires - more than a couple years old is not good.

To me, the only major concern is the possibility of wood rot in the framing of the shells. There was a recent discussion on this topic (and others) here
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=17946. Though not aimed at a 2619, the ideas are the same. Check carefully. If the shells are rotted, they are VERY difficult to repair.

Let us know how it comes out.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:11 PM   #3
Subman

Bill,
Thanks for the info. I was wondering about the weight, the 2916 at 2270lbs is lighter than our last pop up, (almost 2700lbs). My truck would tow it when loaded but it didn't like it in hilly country.

I'd already figured on replacing tires if over 4 or 5 years old. A blow out on a trailer is no fun.

We have had 2 pop ups over the last 14 years (a Coleman & Fleetsood) and really like them. But the TM looks to be a better option as I get older. I'm assuming from what I've seen they are as easy tow as a pop up and easier to set

The owner is asking a lot less than what NADA shows so that makes me wonder what shape it's in.

Mark
Old 03-13-2017, 07:50 PM   #4
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Wood framed TMs are lighter than the aluminum/foam ones ? That is a surprise. OTOH I suspect TMs are going to appreciate as they become rarer.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:18 AM   #5
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

You might find these posts helpful.

http:/http://trailmanorowners.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=16748
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenav...PDI_V113_2.pdf

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:58 AM   #6
Subman

The more I read about wood rot the more inclined I am to pass on this one. I haven't gone to look at it yet but can only imagine what a pain it would be to repair if it ever happened while I owned it. The place that has it is asking $2000 for it but I believe it might be wiser to save up more cash and get a newer model with metal framing. Though that means being without a camper for another year and we've been without one now for 2 all ready.