TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-09-2016, 11:47 AM   #1
Nikkira

Default Looking at a Trailmanor

I'm looking at a Trailmanor this weekend. How important is it to have it hooked up to electric when I look at it? If everything works off of battery/propane correctly, can I assume the electric works? We are meeting somewhere w/o an electric hookup.

What else should I be looking for when checking it out? I will read through as many threads as possible on here before looking at it, but if there is anything in particular to look for, I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you!
Nikkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:04 PM   #2
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

Bring a 3k watt generator with a 30amp adapter plug you can then check the electric and the AC unit . Stove and fridge you can chk with propane and battery . Try to read the date code on the tires also, Chk the bag seals if they are worn and cracking falling apart. They should be slick if they are really rough feeling they will more than likely start to fail soon. The things I found wrong with mine when I got home and connected to water and power was water leak at the outside shower and the inside shower and bath sink fitting loose and leaked. I found the AC blower motor was jammed with debri . leaves, pine needles etc... Hope that helps

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:11 PM   #3
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkira View Post
I'm looking at a Trailmanor this weekend. How important is it to have it hooked up to electric when I look at it? If everything works off of battery/propane correctly, can I assume the electric works? We are meeting somewhere w/o an electric hookup.

What else should I be looking for when checking it out? I will read through as many threads as possible on here before looking at it, but if there is anything in particular to look for, I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you!
Not everything is 12 volt DC. The air conditioner will only run on 110 volt AC, so if you are looking at it where there is no 110, then you can not run the a/c. Also the hot water heater runs on 110 but can also run on propane. There will be no way to tell if the electrical heating element is burned out or not. Ask about the anode rod in the hot water heater and how long it has been since it was changed. The anode rod is a device that dissolves so the water heater's tank won't over time. It should be changed every couple of years depending on how often the water heater was used.
If there is propane in the tanks then you can run the hot water heater on that if there is water in the tank, just to see if it works on propane. With propane you can check out the stove (unless it's electric, which is almost never) and oven (unless it's a microwave which is pretty common but they run on 110 also). You can also check to see if the trailers cabin heater is working and running like it should.
It's real easy to burn up a hot water heater electrical heating element. You just turn on the electricity without the hot water heater having any water in it and ZAPP...it will burn out in about 15 seconds.
Now where you are going, does it have the water service hooked up? If not you won't be able to check out the plumbing to make sure all the faucets work properly (unless there is water in the fresh water holding tank, then you can run that pressure pump and check out the plumbing) or if there are any leaks in any of the plumbing components (this must be at a storage place). Plus you won't be able to see if the holding tank for the gray water leaks and that the valves are good or if the sensors that tell you the tanks levels are working properly.
Everything else, like the lights and radio (if it has one) is 12 volt. If it has a TV (and most are 110 ac) you can't check that out either (unless it's 12 volt also or is run off a 12 volt inverter).
Ask about the tires. When they were new. How many miles on them. How long it has been sitting up. When was the last time they rolled down the road and what pressure they ran at. Also check the spare and look for any deterioration. See if it has air in it and ask how much is in there. A good owner will know all of this stuff. Most TM owners are good folks! They want to and do take care of their investment. Dealers on the other hand don't have a history with the trailer and just want to sell it. Keep that in mind.
Going hand in hand with the tires are the bearings. Ask if they have ever been replaced and when was the last time they were repacked and how often have they been serviced (once a year is a good answer....more than two years is not good...I don't know is a crap shoot with loaded dice).
Now I bought my TM from a parts and salvage yard in Bloomfield Iowa (1500 mile away), sight unseen. But I got it at a premium price too ($5500) and they assured me that everything worked. When I got there I looked it over and it seemed ok to me. So I took it to a local tire shop and had new tire put on ( I had brought these with me) and where I put a battery in it as well ( I had this too because they had told me it didn't have one). So with new tires, a new battery, and fresh grease in the bearings ( I greased them myself with a grease gun) I was ready to roll home. The only thing wrong was the bathroom wall had come off its track. That was easy to fix and everything else worked just as it should....until I turned on the electricity on the hot water heater not knowing that it should of had water in it first. OOOOPS! But that was pretty easy to fix as well and didn't cost much.
You'll be in better shape than I was in this department. At least you have the brains to get on this forum and ask questions. So I hope I was some help to you. I hope you get your TM and that it's a good one. I've had women tell me,... "you have a good one" and I'd say...You're right...or at least that's what my wife tells me!
TC
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:42 PM   #4
Nikkira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigrrr View Post
Bring a 3k watt generator with a 30amp adapter plug you can then check the electric and the AC unit . Stove and fridge you can chk with propane and battery . Try to read the date code on the tires also, Chk the bag seals if they are worn and cracking falling apart. They should be slick if they are really rough feeling they will more than likely start to fail soon. The things I found wrong with mine when I got home and connected to water and power was water leak at the outside shower and the inside shower and bath sink fitting loose and leaked. I found the AC blower motor was jammed with debri . leaves, pine needles etc... Hope that helps
Good idea on the generator. I think I can borrow one to use. Is there a way of testing the plumbing at a remote location? We are meeting in a parking lot, so I'm not sure how we would get water to test it. Is this something the owner could fill up ahead of time and have ready? Same with the fridge -- can they have it cooling on the drive there so I know it works?
Old 03-09-2016, 02:01 PM   #5
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkira View Post
Good idea on the generator. I think I can borrow one to use. Is there a way of testing the plumbing at a remote location? We are meeting in a parking lot, so I'm not sure how we would get water to test it. Is this something the owner could fill up ahead of time and have ready? Same with the fridge -- can they have it cooling on the drive there so I know it works?
They can fill the fresh water tank 1/2 way then you can chk out the pump and all the faucets. They can also plug in the unit at home if they have a 30 amp adapter to accept a standard receptacle to turn on the fridge a night before they leave then switch it to 12 volt during the drive. Just DONT turn on the water heater unless there is water in the water heater tank itself. Check to see if the tv antennea goes up and down chk all your roof vents, look for discoloration around them on the inside check the curtains for stains. possible water leakage

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:22 PM   #6
davlin
TrailManor Master

I don't mean to pry, but WHY are you meeting in a parking lot? It almost seems like the seller doesn't want you to hook up shore power and water. If it's because you're meeting "half-way," which would be really nice of the seller to do, I would recommend that you spring for a day's usage of a nearby RV park. Have the seller show you how to properly raise and lower the unit and how to hook-up the shore power, city water, and sewer. Even if you don't buy that TM, it will be money well spent for the instruction.
2013 F150 w/5.0 V8
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:22 PM   #7
ChefLamont

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlin View Post
I don't mean to pry, but WHY are you meeting in a parking lot? It almost seems like the seller doesn't want you to hook up shore power and water. If it's because you're meeting "half-way," which would be really nice of the seller to do, I would recommend that you spring for a day's usage of a nearby RV park. Have the seller show you how to properly raise and lower the unit and how to hook-up the shore power, city water, and sewer. Even if you don't buy that TM, it will be money well spent for the instruction.
I was about to say almost exactly this. The 25-30 or whatever bucks for a day at a site with hookups would be worth it to me not to have to borrow/lug/deal with a generator. Then you have water, power right there.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." Robert Wilensky
ChefLamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:02 PM   #8
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

What is the year of this TM your looking at? I ask cause on my TM, the antenna doesn't go up or down it's fixed.
If there's not a camp ground near by the meeting location check to see if there's an RV dealer that might help you use their lot for the check?
Don't get rushed in your inspection and checking out the rig. Good folks will be happy to explain their baby to you and make sure you know how to operate the systems and any mods or repairs to the rig.
Best of luck to you this weekend.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:14 PM   #9
Nikkira

Thanks for all the advice. I asked the owner how we'd test the different systems and he said he'd have to work out the logistics and meet at a different time. So, no plans to see that TM this weekend. I don't think he was trying to be deceptive.

I'm going to work on my checklist of things to examine when I find the right TM. Thank you all, and if you have more advice, please let me know.