TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Boondocking and Dry Camping
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
TexasCamper

Default I broke the "full hookup" habit

Being new to a TrailManor with full hookup amenities, my DW and I thought the only way to camp and use these amenities was to request only sites with "full hookups". And we've mostly been ending up at RV Parks. Now some are nice, but some are just a parking lot at best.

At our last camping trip in southern CO, we ended up at a bottom-of-the-line RV parking lot. Out of desperation for something nicer, we opted to stay at a state park (Lathrop) with only electricity available. And it was AMAZING! The campground was spacious with eye-popping scenery. Instead of parking lot lights, we had a pitch-dark sky filled with these things called stars!

We toted over our water and the family did a great job conserving water. And just think, I was getting ready to pull out that water tank. So glad I didn't. On our trip home, we tried it again at a Texas state park (Arrowhead) and had the same great experience.

I feel like the world of camping has opened up to a whole new level, now that we found we can live without water & sewer hookups! I can only imagine what world opens up if we can learn how to disconnect from the electrical cord!

- John
TV#1: 2008 Chrysler Town & Country (3.8L Touring w/ tow package, WDH) (*retired 2018*)
TV#2: 2015 Nissan Pathfinder (w/ tow package, WDH)
TV#3: 2018 Ford F150 (w/ tow package, WDH)
TexasCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
M&M Hokie

Awesome to hear (read). Get yourself a LinkLite and some solar panels and embrace it!
Old 07-23-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
Al-n-Sue

We camp in Colorado State Parks (elect only sites) as much as we can. We know pretty much where the water faucets are and arrange to stop and fill our tank before we park (saves carrying water 6 gallons at a time! and avoids towing with full tanks) . We generally don't stay long enough to fill the toilet (use the park facilities as much as we can) or the holding tank so we just dump when we leave. We camped at Lathrop on our very first outing with the TM. I agree with yoru comments!

We used to camp at Texas State parks when we lived in Dallas. They are also very nice.

There are also some Forest Service parks in Colorado that are pretty nice - with electric only sites.

Enjoy your freedom from commercial parks - it opens up a whole new vista of camping!
Old 07-24-2010, 08:54 AM   #4
vnmtm1

Default Discovery

Congratulations on your discovery!

Having tented for 23 years with our 4 kids, we love to experience the national forest and national park campgrounds, enjoy the breath-taking scenery and whenever made possible by weather, stay up and watch the stars, milky way, meteors and satellites as they transit overhead.

Now that the 4 "kids" are grown and gone, we still enjoy this activity from the grand comfort of our TM (yes we went from tent to TM and what a joy that was). More often than not, we are in dry campgrounds away from the crowds, enjoy the challenge of managing energy and consumable consumption, and can readily stretch to 4 nights before having to replenish. And the payback is exactly what you are discovering.

Enjoy!
Old 07-24-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
brulaz

And in some parks the best sites have no electricity either. They may be the ones closest to the beach or with the best view.

Especially in the States with your fantastic National Forest campground system, most with no electricity, you may really want try "getting away from it all" (though maybe not when you need air conditioning).

Since I've added LED lights to our Elkmont and beefed up the batteries, some of our best camping experiences has been at "primitive", non-electric sites.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #6
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
And in some parks the best sites have no electricity either. They may be the ones closest to the beach or with the best view.

Especially in the States with your fantastic National Forest campground system, most with no electricity, you may really want try "getting away from it all" (though maybe not when you need air conditioning).

Since I've added LED lights to our Elkmont and beefed up the batteries, some of our best camping experiences has been at "primitive", non-electric sites.
I agree 100%.......

Brulaz.....
Thanks for adding the LEDs.....I hope they last a long time.....
Old 07-24-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
4Kids2Dogs

I so agree! Lathrop is awesome. State and National Parks are so MUCH nicer than KOA or other RV parks. It's great to have the option to stay without needing full hookups. BTW how many kids in your family?
1995 Ford F-150 w/Prodigy BC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
4Kids2Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:03 PM   #8
Tom-417

FWIW

The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass is a Senior Citizen Pass that gets you in the parks at half price. It is for us old geezers that have completed at least 62 solar cycles. You have to go to a national park to get one and it has a one time fee of $10.

There are a few advantages to growing older.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:30 AM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-417 View Post
FWIW

The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass is a Senior Citizen Pass that gets you in the parks at half price. It is for us old geezers that have completed at least 62 solar cycles. You have to go to a national park to get one and it has a one time fee of $10.

There are a few advantages to growing older.
Keep the discounts........I want my youth back..........
Old 07-25-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
TexasCamper

We have two girls; ages 8 & 10. They loved helping with carrying water and pouring it into the tank. Our hardest part with conserving water is washing the dishes; especially for me. I rinse far too much....must be some kind of suds phobia. We reluctantly defaulted to using more disposables.

When we stayed at the Texas state park, we bought an annual pass knowing we're hooked. Eyeing up the Big Bend area now.

Since we don't own a gray water tote, I don't think we can get beyond 3 days before the tanks are full. I assume I need to buy a tote? I wouldn't think you would close the TM and haul it to the dump station every 3 days....
TV#1: 2008 Chrysler Town & Country (3.8L Touring w/ tow package, WDH) (*retired 2018*)
TV#2: 2015 Nissan Pathfinder (w/ tow package, WDH)
TV#3: 2018 Ford F150 (w/ tow package, WDH)
TexasCamper is offline   Reply With Quote