TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-24-2018, 06:11 PM   #1
porscha356

Default replacing radio with dvd player on 2013 2720sl

Hello All,

I want to replace the Kenwood radio/cd player with a dvd player to be used with a Jensen TV on a 2013 2720 sl.
I am thinking of placing the TV on the counter top and using jacks on the front of a Jensen dvd player to plug in the audio and video from the TV.
I also need a power source for the 12v TV as there is no cigarette lighter plug under the sink counter top. So that will need to be added as well.
In addition, I want to use the in house speakers for that special, home theater effect!

Any of you modification mavens out there have any first hand experience so I don't break the first thing I touch? And please, start with small stuff for my small mind, like how to get the radio out? Remove the counter top, the fridge, the wall of the TM? The fridge is a Dometic RM 2354 made in 2013.

Thanks to any and all for their input.
porscha356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:41 PM   #2
jasonv31

Quote:
Originally Posted by porscha356 View Post
Hello All,

I want to replace the Kenwood radio/cd player with a dvd player to be used with a Jensen TV on a 2013 2720 sl.
I am thinking of placing the TV on the counter top and using jacks on the front of a Jensen dvd player to plug in the audio and video from the TV.
I also need a power source for the 12v TV as there is no cigarette lighter plug under the sink counter top. So that will need to be added as well.
In addition, I want to use the in house speakers for that special, home theater effect!

Any of you modification mavens out there have any first hand experience so I don't break the first thing I touch? And please, start with small stuff for my small mind, like how to get the radio out? Remove the counter top, the fridge, the wall of the TM? The fridge is a Dometic RM 2354 made in 2013.

Thanks to any and all for their input.
What would be much easier in my humble opinion, to get a small DVD player and simply plug it in near the TV and use it with the TV. There are many cheap, small players out there. Or even more convenient (space saving etc) would be any number of the small tvs available on Amazon with built-in DVD players. For example....

Sceptre E246BD-SMQK 24.0" 720p TV DVD Combination, True black (2017) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JY3ND8Y..._sC2bBb1JN75XY

If that model is too big, there are many others that are smaller that are less expensive and still with decent ratings. Just search Amazon for "TV with built in DVD". Only drawback is if the DVD player stops working, you would just have a TV, but considering the low cost, it's still a good idea in my opinion.

If you still would like to replace the existing stereo with one that will play DVD... Then search for "single din dvd car stereo" on Amazon or Google. You will find plenty of cheap ones for a little under $100 but good name brand will run more than $100 normally. Also a challenge will be the connections for the video output are normally on the back of those units so you will have to route a cable (not terribly difficult for a handyman, but if your not capable it could be moderately to very difficult).

I still feel the most elegant solution would be a small standalone player ($40+) or a TV with built-in DVD ($100 or less) would be the best way to do it. Hope this helps!

P. S. I also noticed that you were needing a power source there... Do you have a 110 volt plug or 12 volt nearby? Both are there... Even if you cant see them (there's a two outlet 110 plug behind the refrigerator (one outlet is used by the fridge) and a 12 volt goes to the Kenwood, these are accessible from the outside of the trailmanor (louvered vents, two on my 3023). I recently removed my refrigerator so I got to see all of that area. If you needed power it would be pretty easy to run a cable (110 ac or 12 volt DC) to whatever you need.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Mods completed so far : New flooring; New Curtains; Removed Thetford for CAMCO portable; installed 110 volt refrigerator

Mods to be installed : 300 watt renogy solar system (MTTP controller), 3000 watt inverter, Automatic transfer switch, 2 - 6 volt Trojan FLA batteries; Scissor Jacks; LED lighting inside and out.
jasonv31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:58 PM   #3
porscha356

To Jason31,

Thanks my man, your advice is well thought out and instructive as well.

I have the radio out and am thinking of replacing with a Jensen unit I found on Ebay. An AC tv came with the TM, a 19" with no stand (I can make one) and no inverter brick. Easy fixes I think............. The Jensen player has A/V plug ins on the front so I believe it will allow me to route the sound through the in house "theater" system clean and with little trouble.
I will rummage around in the back of the fridge tomorrow and see what pops up to bite me!

Thanks for the map.
porscha356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #4
jasonv31

Quote:
Originally Posted by porscha356 View Post
To Jason31,

Thanks my man, your advice is well thought out and instructive as well.

I have the radio out and am thinking of replacing with a Jensen unit I found on Ebay. An AC tv came with the TM, a 19" with no stand (I can make one) and no inverter brick. Easy fixes I think............. The Jensen player has A/V plug ins on the front so I believe it will allow me to route the sound through the in house "theater" system clean and with little trouble.
I will rummage around in the back of the fridge tomorrow and see what pops up to bite me!

Thanks for the map.
If all your looking for is power... Its back there. The power cable for the 12 volt runs back there on the way to the bathroom and to the radio (your former Kenwood). You could maybe (observing the amount of load you will be putting on the circuit) use the same 12 volt circuit for the radio... For the TV. Add up the amps for the radio and TV... See if they exceed the fuse on that circuit.

However... If they do exceed the fuse (I'm thinking probably not) then you will NOT want to just put a bigger fuse, without knowing for sure the gauge wire can handle it.

Otherwise the fridge plug should have a spare space for you to run a small inverter in there and then run a 12volt wire from there. Same end game... .

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Mods completed so far : New flooring; New Curtains; Removed Thetford for CAMCO portable; installed 110 volt refrigerator

Mods to be installed : 300 watt renogy solar system (MTTP controller), 3000 watt inverter, Automatic transfer switch, 2 - 6 volt Trojan FLA batteries; Scissor Jacks; LED lighting inside and out.
jasonv31 is offline   Reply With Quote